Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Official Creak, Rattle and other noise complaint thread

I have Cobb stage 3 on the car now for about 26k miles and 5 years of ownership. The car recently developed a bad shanking vibration that radiates through the armrest console.

I can duplicate the vibration and noise when on a hill and low rpm’s when the engine is bogging down a little. It doesn’t shake or rattle all the time but there are certain factors where it will do it every time if the clutch futons are met. It feels similar to a bad motor mount but it is in the middle of the car. It also feels similar to a slipping clutch but the clutch isn’t slipping.

I can also get it to do when accelerating in second gear. I got under the car today and everything looks in order (the down pipe, exhaust, and exhaust hangars). The exhaust of the car has gotten stronger smelling and I though the turbo back exhaust came loose somewhere but everything seems snug and tight.

I don’t have a lift and was curious if anyone has any idea what is under the armrest console? I am going to try and get a video by putting the phone under the car on my steep drive way.

I've recently noticed I've been getting inconsistent thumps somewhere in the rear on bigger bumps and it sounded like its coming from inside. To my surprise, I found that both of the cargo floor perches were really loose. This is very strange because I'm 99% sure they were not touched since the car's purchase so they must've loosened up by themselves :unsure:? I snugged the screws back and that seemed to fix it (at least for now).

1700470482295.png

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I've recently noticed I've been getting inconsistent thumps somewhere in the rear on bigger bumps and it sounded like its coming from inside. To my surprise, I found that both of the cargo floor perches were really loose. This is very strange because I'm 99% sure they were not touched since the car's purchase so they must've loosened up by themselves :unsure:? I snugged the screws back and that seemed to fix it (at least for now).

View attachment 59161
Mine loosened as well. I just assumed it’s because I’m too aggressive in my handling of the false floor.

I have Cobb stage 3 on the car now for about 26k miles and 5 years of ownership. The car recently developed a bad shanking vibration that radiates through the armrest console.

I can duplicate the vibration and noise when on a hill and low rpm’s when the engine is bogging down a little. It doesn’t shake or rattle all the time but there are certain factors where it will do it every time if the clutch futons are met. It feels similar to a bad motor mount but it is in the middle of the car. It also feels similar to a slipping clutch but the clutch isn’t slipping.

I can also get it to do when accelerating in second gear. I got under the car today and everything looks in order (the down pipe, exhaust, and exhaust hangars). The exhaust of the car has gotten stronger smelling and I though the turbo back exhaust came loose somewhere but everything seems snug and tight.

I don’t have a lift and was curious if anyone has any idea what is under the armrest console? I am going to try and get a video by putting the phone under the car on my steep drive way.

Exhaust Rattle: directly underneath the armrest really isn't much of anything but if you have an aftermarket downpipe, they often bolt up right underneath that general area and it's not impossible for that rattle to be transmitted up to your armrest.

i bring this up because i recently had the supports for my 2jracing dp break off and it caused way more vibration than you'd think. i felt it more in my shifter than anywhere else but every set up is a little different.

my exhaust hangers are also dryrotted and don't soak up as much vibration as they used to, and i could feel that in my armrest when it's really cold until i finally replaced them.

Rear Motor Mount:

the rear motor mount is somewhat nearby as well and if the engine is tapping the frame because the rubber bits are worn out, that can cause a pretty strong vibration literally anywhere in the car, depending on the resonating frequency or whatever.

I've had to replace mine already and before it did it, at idle the car would vibrate SLIGHTLY more, not really hugely concerning.

but for some reason, my glovebox door was resonating with this vibration, just physics or something, and you could actually SEE it vibrate