Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Official Creak, Rattle and other noise complaint thread

I've got a new one I haven't seen anyone mention yet. I get this weird rattle coming from the plastic trim around the shift boot. It sounds like a couple heavy washers hitting a thin hollow metal pipe. When I push down on the bottom right corner of the trim it goes away. I really don't feel like tearing my console apart but I think that's the only way I'm going pinpoint and fix the issue.
I've noticed that as well too! It's been getting louder and more frequent every week I drive the car....I'm due for an oil change here in another 900 miles so I might have the dealership take a look at it...I'll be just shy of the 36k but figured have them look at it here relatively soon.

Let me know what you find
Did either of you guys figure this out? I've got the same issue.

I've pressed on the radio trim, AC trim, and now the shift boot area and that seems to stop the squeaking the easiest.

Curious to find the culprit before I go tearing everything apart.

Did either of you guys figure this out? I've got the same issue.

I've pressed on the radio trim, AC trim, and now the shift boot area and that seems to stop the squeaking the easiest.

Curious to find the culprit before I go tearing everything apart.
I haven't bothered to take everything apart yet but I have noticed that I only seem to hear the noise when someone is sitting in the passenger seat. When it's just me in the car I don't hear anything.

I developed a rattle at around 800 miles. Coming from the passenger side dash area. I removed the glove box and looked around. Nothing loose. Only hear it when as speed, 45mph and up on a not so smooth road. Low speed rough roads i hear nothing. Trip to dealer soon.

I've noticed that as well too! It's been getting louder and more frequent every week I drive the car....I'm due for an oil change here in another 900 miles so I might have the dealership take a look at it...I'll be just shy of the 36k but figured have them look at it here relatively soon.

Let me know what you find
I haven't bothered to take everything apart yet but I have noticed that I only seem to hear the noise when someone is sitting in the passenger seat. When it's just me in the car I don't hear anything.
Here you go guys... The clip that this screw threads into is the culprit. At first I tried torquing the screw down but jiggling it still caused squeaking so I decided to remove that clip. It was a royal bitch to get out. 3 hours... I'm just unlucky.

I simply replaced the clip with a spare of a different style (non springy) and retigtened the screw. You might be able to just leave the screw out altogether.

Lost a few white clips from the center console panels during this process. Be careful...

Here you go guys... The clip that this screw threads into is the culprit. At first I tried torquing the screw down but jiggling it still caused squeaking so I decided to remove that clip. It was a royal bitch to get out. 3 hours... I'm just unlucky.

I simply replaced the clip with a spare of a different style (non springy) and retigtened the screw. You might be able to just leave the screw out altogether.

Lost a few white clips from the center console panels during this process. Be careful...

mine rattles there to and i just push it with my hand and goes away lol
but nice to know what is the cause

My rattle was coming from the hood. They realigned it and added some foam tape where the sheetmetal comes together on the inside of the hood. No more noise. Took them 1.5 days to find it.

My rattle was coming from the hood. They realigned it and added some foam tape where the sheetmetal comes together on the inside of the hood. No more noise. Took them 1.5 days to find it.
Now that it's getting cold I'm getting a rattle first through 3rd and around 2500rpms but goes away higher rpms. from inside sounds like dash but I went out and lightly hit my hood and heard a horrible rattle that's when I figure I'd check here. Sure enough the black under hood insulation has plastic coatings on the tabs that go into the hood/bracing. I stuffed some paper towel pieces just to drive it and sure enough the rattle is gone. So luckily at work we have insulation tape in many layers I'm going to line those tabs and go from there but since you mentioned the brace having glue/dampener separating I may pull the insulator off and check and see if my local body shop can add some of it is in fact separating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I developed a rattle at around 800 miles. Coming from the passenger side dash area. I removed the glove box and looked around. Nothing loose. Only hear it when as speed, 45mph and up on a not so smooth road. Low speed rough roads i hear nothing. Trip to dealer soon.
I am getting the same thing. Its a squeak/rattle coming from the passenger side seems like its coming from the dash behind the glove box. haven't been able to take the glove box out and don't want to waste my time with the dealer since every time I take it in there is no problem found. Has anybody else had this issue?

JasonHaven

Mine's close to 15k miles and is driving me absolutely nuts.

- Windshield has multiple rattles at this point, can't place exactly where yet
- Sunroof rattles, if I reach my hand in and push on a plastic bit, it settles down temporarily
- Driver seat squeaks/creaks consistently, only fix is to push the seat forward, then back. Seems to pop up when I hit rough roads or a speed bump.
- Clutch squeaks and clicks, especially in warmer weather
- Trunk cover makes quite a bit of noise on rougher roads

Frankly I'm kind of tired of this car already due to how shoddy it's built when it comes to these things. I'll push it through the winter, and take it in during the spring. I'm sure they'll charge me to have the above fixed since a deer kamikazed into my car, and I have a RMM installed.

I know this is an 'economy car' and all, but my previous economy cars didn't get into 'rattling junk' territory until about 5 years into ownership.

Almost 3,000 miles on the car and I have a couple.

- Front map light module was buzzing a bit over bumps and with engine revs sometimes (thanks, Cobb RMM!). Fixed it with some adhesive foam tape.
- Hood shook badly at idle sometimes. Turns out the hood bumpers were turned all of the way down. Fixed the noise and the horrible hood gap.
- A buzzing/rattling in my passenger side rear quarter panel. Gonna take some paneling off soon and see if I can locate it.
- A buzzing/rapid ticking when on the throttle. Volume comes and goes. Really annoying, taking this issue to Ford soon.

Trying to be proactive here and fix these myself if I can. Otherwise, to Ford it goes.

I have a small rattle from the visor that sticks out over the gauge cluster. Goes away when you either press them together, or pull them further apart. Returns in a few days, more of a nuisance than an actual problem for me. I've been driving rattle traps since I was 16 so a small creak doesn't bother me so much if I can find it

Car makes a squeaking or "tinging" (metallic?) kind of high pitched sound on deceleration in 2d and 3d gear around 3000 RPM. Maybe a weird vibration from the RMM, maybe the exhaust is hitting something, not sure. No codes, no misfires from what I can tell. No performance issues. Just a sound I'm tracking and makes me nervous. Everything else is fine with this car at 3700 MI.

My hand brake rattles and squeaks alot, also i have the cloths seats and I think a spring or something is broken in my driver seat. its very annoying!!

Full upgraded engine and transmission mounts all around (CPE and turbotech) has given NVH a new meaning for me. I had a 2.5 RS with Sti group N mounts taken off front a rally car, and this is twice as stiff. So many new rattles, lol. Places I didn't even know could rattle are making noise. It is brutal and awesome. Resolved my other squeak issue though! It was a loose IC bracket on my Depo hot side pipe that has now broken. Time for an updrade....

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

My baby just turned 2! 53,000 km (over 30,000 miles); no creaks, rattles, knocks or squeaks except for the driver's side Recaro occasionally going "uhr-huhr" down near the armrest (can't see if it's rubbing because I have to move to see it and then it doesn't make the noise. Can't hear it if the radio is at a normal volume).

Real happy with the car in this respect!

I am hearing a faint knock type sound coming from the rear driver side suspension area. Seems to happen when the car is in reverse and it just begins to start rolling , or right when the car's about to start rolling taking off in first . You guys got any ideas? The car doesn't even have one thousand miles on it yet. I also hear a little bit of noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. I think that maybe normal noise to do the moving parts and linkages but I'm not too sure. Any input would be great, before I make a trip to the dealer.

2016 with 6500 miles. My gauge cluster creaks, my drivers side Recaro creaks a lot, my door cards rattle, hell even my sunvisor rattles at certain RPMs. If it were a $30,000 car it would bother me. However I have to realize it's a $20,000 econo box with a sports package so rattles are going to happen. I'll still be bringing it in to the dealer once I finish moving into my new house. It's all the electrical gremlins I'm experiencing that really pisses me off.

Any time I pull away from being parked overnight after it has rained, or if I have washed the wheels the night before, I get a knock which is the brakes actually breaking free from what i assume is some rust seizing on the rear brakes! It's a bit crazy.

Also, every time I park and I pull the parking brake up one or two clicks I get a very audible croaking/groan from either the rear suspension or rear brakes as I get out of, and then later back into, the car as the car shifts from having weight removed, and then reloaded.

It sounds like the springs, but it could be the brakes. It has done this since new.

Does anyone
My baby just turned 2! 53,000 km (over 30,000 miles); no creaks, rattles, knocks or squeaks except for the driver's side Recaro occasionally going "uhr-huhr" down near the armrest (can't see if it's rubbing because I have to move to see it and then it doesn't make the noise. Can't hear it if the radio is at a normal volume).

Real happy with the car in this respect!