Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Official Creak, Rattle and other noise complaint thread

My '16 has 30K and only noise is a squeaking window going up or down.....I would wonder what kind of driving or where the car was driven in the first 15K? Why don't you have the car serviced under warranty and take care of your issues for free? It would annoy the hell out of me driving with all the issues you have. I hate rattles in a car, makes me insane.
I'm not sure, the previous owner seemed to take really good care of it, had a bunch of oil changes done and was in pristine shape. I bought it as a CPO. Maybe he lived down a rally stage road? Lol

I was checking out the A pillar today and noticed it pulled up slightly up by the windshield. Starting pressing and sure enough, one of the clips had popped out. Also had a rattle from the instrument cluster area. Removed that, installed some 3m felt between the trip pieces, and it seems to be quieter now.

I haven't taken it in yet because the closest dealership is 30 minutes away and they suck. The closest dealership I don't hate is over an hour. I've got 30 minutes in these fixes so time ahead in my book. There are a few other things I need taken care of that I'll have addressed before the 3/36 is up like the driver mirror shaking like crazy.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I'm not sure, the previous owner seemed to take really good care of it, had a bunch of oil changes done and was in pristine shape. I bought it as a CPO. Maybe he lived down a rally stage road? Lol

I was checking out the A pillar today and noticed it pulled up slightly up by the windshield. Starting pressing and sure enough, one of the clips had popped out. Also had a rattle from the instrument cluster area. Removed that, installed some 3m felt between the trip pieces, and it seems to be quieter now.

I haven't taken it in yet because the closest dealership is 30 minutes away and they suck. The closest dealership I don't hate is over an hour. I've got 30 minutes in these fixes so time ahead in my book. There are a few other things I need taken care of that I'll have addressed before the 3/36 is up like the driver mirror shaking like crazy.
Glad to see you got your problems taken care of. I also do not trust ANY dealer. But it seems your car was not "crap" from the factory but was abused by the previous owner, the clips don't just break in the A pillar, someone pulled it off and broke it. When someone calls our cars crap I try to find out why, I suspect the car had mods that were removed which may be the reason for all the issues you have. Hard driving or driving on bad road surfaces causes flex in the body which is usually the cause of dash rattles. I worked at a very shady "buy here pay here" used car lot. The quick fix to a squeaky or noisy dash was spraying WD40 in all the creases. Worked for about a month! I have to get a new Sync 3 installed and fear the rattles and broken pieces the fools at the dealer will cause. My squeaky window came after the tint was installed but will let the dealer take care of it while they have it three or four days! Enjoy your FiST, most smiles per gallon out there. [wrenchin]

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I have to get a new Sync 3 installed and fear the rattles and broken pieces the fools at the dealer will cause.
I had my new Sync 3 APIM module installed at my dealer and was concerned about this. 6 months later there are no rattles, and no sign of broken trim pieces,just so you know that it can be done without causing damage.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I had my new Sync 3 APIM module installed at my dealer and was concerned about this. 6 months later there are no rattles, and no sign of broken trim pieces,just so you know that it can be done without causing damage.
Thanks for the encouragement.......my youngest son worked at many dealerships. The disaster stories are epic. He now has a business building custom LS engines. I make him wipe his tools before touching my car, don't want GM germs. Why did yours need replacement? My will not do voice commands. But also being a '16 it needs the upgraded unit as it has never updates. Non-nav! Capri? I had a red '79 turbo RS...traded for the '79 Mustang Indy Pace car with 302 V8. Loved both but slow as hell! But then they had REAL recaros not the lite version we get.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the encouragement.......my youngest son worked at many dealerships. The disaster stories are epic. He now has a business building custom LS engines. I make him wipe his tools before touching my car, don't want GM germs. Why did yours need replacement? My will not do voice commands. But also being a '16 it needs the upgraded unit as it has never updates. Non-nav! Capri? I had a red '79 turbo RS...traded for the '79 Mustang Indy Pace car with 302 V8. Loved both but slow as hell! But then they had REAL recaros not the lite version we get.
My Sync 3 APIM needed replacing on warranty after a failed Wi-Fi update caused an error message which said bad installation file. It also wouldn't update with a USB drive. After the failed update, the voice command stopped working. It all works fine now.
My family had a '72 2 liter Capri, it was a wonderful car.

Glad to see you got your problems taken care of. I also do not trust ANY dealer. But it seems your car was not "crap" from the factory but was abused by the previous owner, the clips don't just break in the A pillar, someone pulled it off and broke it. When someone calls our cars crap I try to find out why, I suspect the car had mods that were removed which may be the reason for all the issues you have. Hard driving or driving on bad road surfaces causes flex in the body which is usually the cause of dash rattles. I worked at a very shady "buy here pay here" used car lot. The quick fix to a squeaky or noisy dash was spraying WD40 in all the creases. Worked for about a month! I have to get a new Sync 3 installed and fear the rattles and broken pieces the fools at the dealer will cause. My squeaky window came after the tint was installed but will let the dealer take care of it while they have it three or four days! Enjoy your FiST, most smiles per gallon out there. [wrenchin]

The dash/instrument cluster is 100% a factory problem, there are excessive gaps in the plastic pieces, not to mention plastic just rubs on plastic. No idea what's up with the A pillar, that is quite odd. Lol

Cool tip on the WD though, I might have to try that in a few spots on my Mustang. Monthly applications aren't the end of the world

OP
MKVIIST

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Thread Starter #227
I've noticed a very strange sound. And I really can't find anything anywhere similar to help me figure it out. It sounds like a cricket chirping, under light load at lower speeds. It does it warm, and cold. My irrational fear is that it's the turbine nicking the housing of the turbo or something. . . I try my best to baby this girl, but I live in Central Florida, and we have a lot of honda drivers. . . . [emoji23][emoji23]

I've got a Cobb, running stage 1-91, but always use 93 octane, the Cobb rmm, and a drop in k&n with the plenum mod, (because, ssssss-pshhh)
I've listened to every clip I can find on YouTube, and nothing matches. I tried to get sound clips myself, but the camera picks up too much background noise to really make it out. It's intermittent, but consistent? If that makes sense, like I hear it frequently, but can't really isolate the conditions to make it happen intentionally. . . .

I've been lurking around for a few months now and I really enjoy you guys. Sorry for the novel. . . Tl;Dr - lucky cricket?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Is your FiST still under warranty?

Stumped on this one...

Having what appears to sound like suspension issues from the passenger front area. Only happens when the car is cold and then gradually goes away as the car warms up. No idea what it may be, I've never heard this sound come from any of my cars before. Driveability doesn't seem to be affected, but I wonder how long that's going to last.

Here's the audio I recorded leaving work; didn't go above 20 mph. Let me know what you think[dictate]: https://youtu.be/4JEHNLNQdIw

It is still under warranty, granted none of my modifications have voided said warranty. It's band new. I'm about to roll over 11k miles and I'm the first owner.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Stumped on this one...

Having what appears to sound like suspension issues from the passenger front area. Only happens when the car is cold and then gradually goes away as the car warms up. No idea what it may be, I've never heard this sound come from any of my cars before. Driveability doesn't seem to be affected, but I wonder how long that's going to last.

Here's the audio I recorded leaving work; didn't go above 20 mph. Let me know what you think[dictate]: https://youtu.be/4JEHNLNQdIw
I have EXACTLY this noise, but slightly quieter, and it comes from the driver's side. It goes away pretty quickly, after the first 15 seconds or so of the morning commute. I took it to the dealership and they heard nothing of course. They said they retorqued everything in the suspension just in case. The noise is still there, but I've decided to ignore it, since it goes away after a few bumps in the road.

Stumped on this one...

Almost sounds like metal on metal grinding. Your best bet is probably to take it to a ford dealer and make sure you show the service adviser the video. A good explanation of exactly when the concern occurs will also aid them in finding the fault. best of luck!

Hoping to get some help with a reoccurring creak I've been having when coming to a complete stop. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

[video=youtube;6hutPcHHIKU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hutPcHHIKU[/video]

*The loud squeak after the car is fully stopped is my wet shoe on the pedals.

Started happening in my 17 FiST around 3500 miles back in the fall. Was really loud and coming from the passenger side front corner. Took it into a local dealer a bunch of times and they failed to figure it out. First time they said “oh yeah thats just a regular noise cars make.” Called them out on that and got the service manager to look at it. He thought it was coming from the brakes so they machined the front rotors and rebuilt all 4 calipers. The noise went away for about 100 miles but then came back. Brought the car back to them and they re-lubed the calipers and the noise went away again for about 100 more miles. Called them when it came back and they said “oh, it rained last night so just bring it in and we’ll re-lube the calipers.” Yeah, BS, I’m not bringing the car in each time it rains. Got the car up on a hoist and started checking everything to see if I could find something obviously loose. Found one of the passenger side shock to knuckle bolts not torqued at all. Tightened that and the noise went away.
Fast forward 3000 miles to today. Coming home from work, come to a light and bam, noise is back. Except this time it sounds like its coming from all 4 corners. And it happens when going forward or backwards (before it was forwards only). Will try to get the car back up on a hoist by the end of the week to try to figure it out, but figured I’d ask on here too.

I get the identical noise when I start to move from a stop. Backing out if my garage it's the worst then after a few minutes of driving It lessens but is still there. 2 places couldnt figure it out. Interested to hear what it my be. I no longer have the car but still curious. Good luck wish I could have helped.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've got two new concerning noises at ~4500 miles on a 2018 model. These add to a popping noise in my headliner and various dash and door panel rattles that don't concern me; they're just annoyances.

1. At extremely low speeds in reverse, while crossing my garage transition area, I hear knocking in the rear of my car. I wouldn't even call this a bump, just a gentle, at least foot wide hump to keep water out. Certainly not enough to bounce my spare at these speeds. I'm going to take out my spare and tools tonight to see if that isolates it, just in case. I don't get the sound in forward gears (or the inside noise level masks it).

One other person in this thread seems to have described the exact same noise, but he never followed up to note whether he got it identified and fixed.

2. At low forward speeds in parking lots and driveways, there is a lot of rattling noise coming from the front left side of my car, not the dual mass flywheel clunking, which I have mentally tuned out at this point. Sounds like it could be suspension compenents or even a loose body panel. Can't hear it at higher speeds, due to interior noise.
I'm hoping the dealer can remedy the front suspension noise. It doesn't sound good.
Finally got a fix for problem number 2 after a third visit to a local dealer. I couldn't understand the written or verbal description provided by the service writer, but as I understood it, either a cross-member or engine mount bolt was loose. They tightened it up and there are no more rattles. I sure hope all those months of rattling around didn't destroy the paint and primer and thus cause future corrosion issues.

DangerMouse

My passenger seat slide adjuster rattles like crazy. I have had a rattle from the passenger side of the car for some time now. It keeps getting louder and it's finally loud enough that I found it. The seat slide bar bounces up and down while driving. Does anyone know if this is something can come loose and just be tightened up, or is it something that will need to be replaced? I rarely ever have someone in the front with me but I do frequently slide the seat forward for my kid in the back.

DangerMouse

My passenger seat slide adjuster rattles like crazy. I have had a rattle from the passenger side of the car for some time now. It keeps getting louder and it's finally loud enough that I found it. The seat slide bar bounces up and down while driving. Does anyone know if this is something can come loose and just be tightened up, or is it something that will need to be replaced? I rarely ever have someone in the front with me but I do frequently slide the seat forward for my kid in the back.
Just looked at the seat. The bar has the same amount of play as the drivers seat, I'm guessing though with no one in the seat it rattles. I popped the seat out quick and couldn't see a way to adjust anything. I may have to get creative with some rubber hose or something. Only concern is I don't want to inhibit the use of the seat, since I have to move it frequently for my kid to get in the back.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Number of new rattles after the dealer resolved water intrusion issues. Some are in the door, some are the dash. I can usually put pressure on or near the offending panel while driving and get the noise to cease. Resolution is to remove the offending panel and make sure all clips are present and engaged. If there are broken mounts on said panels, such panels must be replaced. Otherwise you can stick a rubber or soft material in place of the mount, to dampen vibrations and eliminate noise generation.

DangerMouse

Number of new rattles after the dealer resolved water intrusion issues. Some are in the door, some are the dash. I can usually put pressure on or near the offending panel while driving and get the noise to cease. Resolution is to remove the offending panel and make sure all clips are present and engaged. If there are broken mounts on said panels, such panels must be replaced. Otherwise you can stick a rubber or soft material in place of the mount, to dampen vibrations and eliminate noise generation.
I bought a roll of felt tape and have been going crazy with it lately. Still a few dash rattles to take care of. Unfortunately I had 6 grand in hail damage and the car has never been the same since. I need to remove the headliner and see what's going on.

I had a really bad rattle coming from the center console that ended up being the crossover pipe rubbing against the cowl. The intake pressure just caused vibration rattle.

I keep losing change down the damn "hole to hell" that is created when the ebrake is up/engaged. I just found this video online, and it looks like it's worth it's weight in gold. Of course, I found out about it too late, and have to take my console apart to get the $8 in change rattling everywhere I drive that accumulated down there.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5zCbQLnrzM