Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Another Advice Request Thread...Falken or Michelin?

I'm looking at replacing the stock POTENZA RE050A's and saving them for autocrossing (maybe put them on the TR FF10's?). I've yet to autocross, but it's one of those "eventually" things.

I plan to put some longer lasting tires on the OEM wheels as a daily. So far I've narrowed it between the Falken Ziex ZE950 and Michelin's Pilot Sport A/S 3. The Falkens I can find for almost 1/2 the price (http://tirecrazy.com/tires/falken/ziex-ze950-a-s/28953740/).

That said, anyone have experience using either of the Falkens or the Michelins? Are the Potenza's worth saving for use on autocross or should I just use them up and get two different sets later on down the road? Am I crazy for thinking like this?

GAbOS

Falkens are popular in the BMW crowd and my friends love their stickier options.

Izzy

Use the oem's and get something else later. I switched to BFG Comp2 because I wanted 16" wheels. I'll use up the oem rubber left at autox, but would have left them on for street if not rolling on 16's now. The BFG's have been great so far.

OP
C
Thread Starter #4
Do the 16s provide any noticeable benefits aside from the looks? I'm assuming ride comfort is better but I'm not sure how much. Also guessing acceleration should improve a smidge but I feel like the ff10 are light enough that the looks and ride comfort would be the only noticeable differences

I had a ton of people suggest and speak very highly of the Michelins. Also, they're one of the best rated tires on Tirerack. Also, from what I've been reading, a lot of people are going with 15 and 16 in wheels and getting meatier tires, and it makes a huge difference in comfort, without much, if any sacrifice in handling. The lighter wheels also make a noticeable difference in acceleration and what not. I constantly go back and forth on whether I want to replace my stock wheels with smaller, lighter wheels and meatier tires.