Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Can I adjust the turbo pressure release on stock bypass valve?

I have the boomba BOV spacer and it has helped me learn turbo idiosyncrasies better. The problem I am trying to remedy is that the stock bypass valve releases my turbo pressure at the slightest lift of throttle. When I feather the throttle while going around long turns (think flyover) where I am trying to hold a high speed and ride the limit every slight lift of the throttle clears my turbo pressure.

I have read that the Turbosmart BOV does not do this as it is mechanical and not electronic (correct me if i'm wrong) which got me thinking. If our stock BPV is electronically controlled, can a custom tune adjust the pressure release point? not releasing turbo pressure until I hit maybe 0-10% throttle? This is not a huge issue as I don't track my car (yet) but I think it will definitely help drivability in hard-driving situations. Having to build pressure back up is annoying, it's exacerbates the turbo lag issue the FiST has. (I know, other cars are worse, but we definitely have turbo-lag)

Thoughts?

-Peter

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
The issue lies in the fact that the BOV on these cars is electronically controlled. From the factory, the vehicle will actually vent sometimes even when it isn't making boost. There have various people running custom tunes on their car that changes the way the BOV behaves, causing it to vent less. The problem with BOVs like our competitors is that they make you splice into the stock wiring, making returning to stock almost impossible. The lag should not be any different whether or not you are using this BOV adapter. The BOV adapter does not change the way the car runs or operates; it is simply taking noise that was happening and hidden before, and now it is making that noise audible. If you want to feel some brutal turbo lag, go test drive a first gen Speed3 lol.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
The issue lies in the fact that the BOV on these cars is electronically controlled. From the factory, the vehicle will actually vent sometimes even when it isn't making boost. There have various people running custom tunes on their car that changes the way the BOV behaves, causing it to vent less. The problem with BOVs like our competitors is that they make you splice into the stock wiring, making returning to stock almost impossible. The lag should not be any different whether or not you are using this BOV adapter. The BOV adapter does not change the way the car runs or operates; it is simply taking noise that was happening and hidden before, and now it is making that noise audible. If you want to feel some brutal turbo lag, go test drive a first gen Speed3 lol.
Who makes an electronic BOV for us???

Anyway, OP, the REAL problem with your request is that you need load to create boost. Light throttle around a corner won't provide enough load to keep you up in boost regardless of the BOV or BPV.

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Who makes an electronic BOV for us???

Anyway, OP, the REAL problem with your request is that you need load to create boost. Light throttle around a corner won't provide enough load to keep you up in boost regardless of the BOV or BPV.
The stock valve is electronically controlled is what I meant, sorry.

PhoenixM3

What if you don't want the noise and want a cheap, properly working BOV/WG?
Yeah, I'm with GAbOS on this one. I don't want the noise, just improvement on the power/driveability. Tomorrow, I'll get to drive the car about 350 miles, and I'd contemplated installing the optomized throttle body, but don't have enough "seat time" w/ the stock car to appreciate the difference later. Or, I'm lazy.