Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Erratic Idle, drops/stumbles, then returns to normal.

OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #21
So, bad news. Filled up today observing all of the precautions mentioned in this thread. Pulling away from the gas station, the engine actually died. Luckily I wasn't pulling out onto the main drag from the stop sign. After the initial stall, car started right back up and ran fine. Regardless, I scheduled an appointment with my local dealer and I will let you guys know of the outcome.

So, bad news. Filled up today observing all of the precautions mentioned in this thread. Pulling away from the gas station, the engine actually died. Luckily I wasn't pulling out onto the main drag from the stop sign. After the initial stall, car started right back up and ran fine. Regardless, I scheduled an appointment with my local dealer and I will let you guys know of the outcome.
Hey Maxpowa,

I'm going to look into this to see how I can help get your ST running smooth again. Shoot over a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. Talk to you soon!

Nick

Zissou

Hey Maxpowa,

I'm going to look into this to see how I can help get your ST running smooth again. Shoot over a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. Talk to you soon!

Nick
Mine did this once too. I was waiting on it to do it again because my local dealership is inept. I was getting the rpm dip after fueling fairly often, and it stalled once.

Let us know what the fix is, if we have to take it in under warranty.

Mine did this once too. I was waiting on it to do it again because my local dealership is inept. I was getting the rpm dip after fueling fairly often, and it stalled once.

Let us know what the fix is, if we have to take it in under warranty.
Hey Zissou,

I'm not a trained technician, so I'm unable to advise on a diagnosis or possible repair. Have you tried getting a second opinion from another Ford Dealer? I'm more than happy to help locate one for you, as well as look over some things on my end to see how I can assist. To do so, all I'll need is for you to PM your name, VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, and ZIP.

Nick

OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #25
Hey Maxpowa,

Nick
Thanks for contacting me. I'll PM you ASAP.

OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #26
Just posting an update. Filled my tank from empty to 3/4 with the same result. Car started, drove off, came to a stop, and then it died out. Hopefully it does this for the dealer on Thursday.

Several times before (not all the time), after filling up and stopped at a traffic light the engine would have a slight drop en RPM like it wanted to stall then return to normal. Well, last week it did it again while waiting at a red light then stalled. I started back up and all was fine. I think it would be hard to duplicate for the dealer.....who knows if they are aware of it.....they didnt even know about the TSB for the oil life reset.....also, when i was on a 1100 mile road trip, never had the problem cause I would fill up and get right back on the highway. Always use 93 octane...either Chevron, Shell or Sunoco. I have the Mountune MP 215. Did the little hiccup before the install too.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I had a similar problem, on occasion, but never after filling up. I just filled up this morning, and no problems with stumbling or stalling. My problem came in the afternoon, going from work to home. Stopping at a signal, put the car into neutral, engine dips in RPM and almost stalls out. I had read from another member's post on this forum (BGRT?), that, at least for the FoST, this is caused by a bad ground. When I was installing my flex fuel sensor and gauge, I decided to take a scotchbrite pad on a small buffing wheel attached to my air die grinder, and remove some paint from the ground locations on the engine. They were all painted on. I ground them and then put dielectric grease on the surface. I got three of them, but I believe there are more. My problem was eliminated. I never overfill past the shut off, since all you end up doing is wastng gasoline.

I forgot to mention that i do fill it up according to the manual. I never have topped it off. After the first shut off, I wait about 10 seconds, then take out the nozzle.

Thanks for contacting me. I'll PM you ASAP.
My pleasure! :)

Several times before (not all the time), after filling up and stopped at a traffic light the engine would have a slight drop en RPM like it wanted to stall then return to normal. Well, last week it did it again while waiting at a red light then stalled. I started back up and all was fine. I think it would be hard to duplicate for the dealer.....who knows if they are aware of it.....they didnt even know about the TSB for the oil life reset.....also, when i was on a 1100 mile road trip, never had the problem cause I would fill up and get right back on the highway. Always use 93 octane...either Chevron, Shell or Sunoco. I have the Mountune MP 215. Did the little hiccup before the install too.
Hey Guaji,

I'll gladly look this over and see how I can help. Please PM your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number.

I had a similar problem, on occasion, but never after filling up. I just filled up this morning, and no problems with stumbling or stalling. My problem came in the afternoon, going from work to home. Stopping at a signal, put the car into neutral, engine dips in RPM and almost stalls out. I had read from another member's post on this forum (BGRT?), that, at least for the FoST, this is caused by a bad ground. When I was installing my flex fuel sensor and gauge, I decided to take a scotchbrite pad on a small buffing wheel attached to my air die grinder, and remove some paint from the ground locations on the engine. They were all painted on. I ground them and then put dielectric grease on the surface. I got three of them, but I believe there are more. My problem was eliminated. I never overfill past the shut off, since all you end up doing is wastng gasoline.
Thanks for posting info on your resolution, westcoaST! :)

Nick

OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #32
Well, I'm glad my post is resonating with some other owners. I'm quite stunned that my car is doing this with only 2000 miles one it. As for the stuble and stalling, it only does this when I fuel up and stumbles/stalls only once per fuel up. A lot of people have suggested to me that it is EVAP related because at no other time does the car give me any sort of problems, but I am aware of the grounding issue people have mentioned with the Focus ST. That's another avenue to explore if the problem continues after the dealer visit.

I plan on having the dealer come to the gas station with me and drive the car immediately after a fuel stop. I'm almost certain it will stumble/stall when I do that.

OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #33
For some reference, I've linked a youtube video to a guy who describes the problems we seem to be having. Of course, he's talking about an F-150, but I'm just exporing possible answers as I go along. Just thought you guys might have wanted to take a look.

[video=youtube;Eu1vlIOQOyk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu1vlIOQOyk[/video]

OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #34
UPDATE: I dropped-off car at local dealer 9:45 AM yesterday (Thursday) morning. No definitive answer as of yet. They suspect the EVAP system, but for some reason have yet to work on a full diagnosis or repair. Looks like they'll be keeping it over the weekend :-(. No car for several days, yikes. Will keep everyone posted. Should I have asked for a loaner? Do dealerships even do that anymore? Haha.

Zissou

UPDATE: I dropped-off car at local dealer 9:45 AM yesterday (Thursday) morning. No definitive answer as of yet. They suspect the EVAP system, but for some reason have yet to work on a full diagnosis or repair. Looks like they'll be keeping it over the weekend :-(. No car for several days, yikes. Will keep everyone posted. Should I have asked for a loaner? Do dealerships even do that anymore? Haha.
Never had Ford offer me a loaner, but then again the dealership here in Charlottesville is awful.

The Mini/BMW dealership back in Richmond used to give me options on which loaner I wanted and never charged. I like my Fiesta, but there is something to be said for customer service.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Some dealerships do it for goodwill, but if you didn't purchase an extended warranty plan that specifically calls out a loaner program then I wouldn't expect it. It never hurts to ask, just don't be surprised if the answer is no.

OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #37
UPDATE:

Got the car back today (4 days at the dealer) and they confirmed that the issue is likely a faulty EVAP purge valve. Of course, they don't carry it in stock, so they had to order it. One more week of waiting (down-side of living outside the continental US) but did give me the car back to use for the time being. Will notify me when part comes in. Wondering if charcoal canister is damaged because of fuel. Didn't seem like they were concerned about it or were planning to replace it. I'll ask.

Tommorow I'm going back to the dealer, in the hope that we can replicate the problem. I will bring it in with less than a quarter tank and the technician will take it out with diagnostic equipment, fill up the car and see what happens. I dont recall it happening after every fill up, so we will see.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
my car has done this many times as well, ill pull up to a red light and rpm drops off and stumbles about. then i give it a shot and all comes back to life. one time i didnt give it a shot and waited for it to come back on its own accord, it took a few rough seconds but it did come back.

OP
Maxpowa
Thread Starter #40
After checking the print-out more carefully, it turns out the technician did check the lines and charcoal canister, but didn't find any "raw fuel" in the system. Hence, only the purge valve will be replaced. Just wanted to follow-up and clarify. When he filled the vehicle from 1/4 tank, the engine stumbled but did not die. Still, he was able to replicate the issue and determine the fix (thank goodness).