Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cheapest place to order a CAP?

I know that ModBargains sells their Accessport at an unadvertised discount, but are there any other places that do so? Especially somewhere outside of California, so I might save on sales tax as well?

You can always forks over the average 500 and get a better OTS tune than the Cobb. Freektune(Cali), panda motorworks(Missouri), maperformance(Minnesota), all sell the AP with their own tune.

You'll end up saving money in the long run.

If I was going to do it over, I would get the discounted AP from Modbargains or just get a used one and do the lifetime tunes with Adam@MAPerformance.

I was e-tuned. Love the 91 tune we did, definitely better than the Stage 3 OTS, but the e30 tune is freaking crazy good!

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I would first decide on who you want to do the tune.
The Cobb AP is only the tool.

Here you will get a lot of opinions because everyone will tell you that theirs is best, as will I.

I will suggest that you contact Randy at Mountune.

With certain things sometimes, cheapest is not best price.

Dave

MPA

What do most of these places typically charge for an e-tune?

I'm getting my AP from ModTunes - the price they quoted was as low as some of the used ones I've seen

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
The problem is that most of the tuners will not sell a custom tune to you unless you bought the AP from their shop.
This is why I said you need to choose the tuner first.
Again the AP is only the tool.

If you are going to use the OTC tunes then an AP from anywhere is OK.

Dave

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I agree with Dave. Research the pro-tuner that you are interested in using and then buy the AP3 through them for whatever tuning deal they have. I bought a used AP3 and then paid for a pro-tune and it cost more altogether than if I would have just bought the AP3 from them.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
The problem is that most of the tuners will not sell a custom tune to you unless you bought the AP from their shop.
This is why I said you need to choose the tuner first.
Again the AP is only the tool.

If you are going to use the OTC tunes then an AP from anywhere is OK.

Dave
But... many of them will do e-tunes or pro tunes even if you don't buy the AP from them. I've had awesome success with MAPerformance. I bought my AP from Cobb and am almost done with my e-tune from Adam @ Modern Automotive Performance. It's not cheap but it is well worth it! [:D]

So basically you end up with the same thing at a higher cost.
Exactly. It's a trade off, higher upfront cost with a better quality tune, or lower upfront cost and pay later for a tune.

just like [MENTION=241]pelotonracer2[/MENTION], I'm finishing up my e-tune with Adam [MENTION=3178]maperformance[/MENTION].com. The difference his custom tune versus Cobb's OTS is absolutely staggering. I had no idea I could be achieving these kinds of results with just a tune.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I felt the same with my Freektune and everyone else with a custom tune feels the same regardless of their tuner choice. Cobb OTS tunes are a good start point but there is always plenty left on the table.

Inevitably there will be someone that evaluates multiple tunes on their own vehicle to give us a good idea of where each tuner stacks up comparatively on the platform, but I don't recall seeing that happen in this community yet.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I felt the same with my Freektune and everyone else with a custom tune feels the same regardless of their tuner choice. Cobb OTS tunes are a good start point but there is always plenty left on the table.

Inevitably there will be someone that evaluates multiple tunes on their own vehicle to give us a good idea of where each tuner stacks up comparatively on the platform, but I don't recall seeing that happen in this community yet.
Last year, around July I believe, I was tuning with both Mountune and Panda. So I have logs on my stock turbo of (at least) Stage 3 with the Cobb OTS, Mountune and Panda. I'd have to wade through them (and receipt dates which I also have) to recall whose parts I had on at the time/date of the datalogs. Would that be interesting enough for a post?

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
So basically you end up with the same thing at a higher cost.
I could be wrong but I don't know anyone who is selling a Cobb AP V3 with a custom pro or e-tune thrown in "for free". I know they sell them with a better tune than OTS but not a custom tune for your exact mods.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Having different tunes in one car for evaluation would be great except they would have to be current.
For example I have a new current custom tune from Randy at Montune and it is far superior to the custom tune I had from him before.

Dave

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Having different tunes in one car for evaluation would be great except they would have to be current.
For example I have a new current custom tune from Randy at Montune and it is far superior to the custom tune I had from him before.

Dave
This thought crossed my mind. Which is why I was unsure if my data would be relevant. I'd heard he'd improved.

maperformance

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club