Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

how to keep fogs on with high beams

How to keep fogs on with high beams?

OK I've been searching around and found nothing specific to the Fist. What do I need to do to keep my fogs on at the same time as my high beams. I don't know if it makes a difference but I have the DiodeDynamics LED fogs.

Fog Lights are an auxiliary lighting system made for a specific driving situation: i.e. when fog, snow or rain is impairing the driver's view of the road surface and his position on the road.
In severe situations, the best solution is to turn off your headlights and run on fogs only.
I have literally driven through a blizzard, running fogs only, with a convoy of vehicles behind; I was the only one who could see the road.
High beams, in this situation, are simply reflected off the fog, rain or snow; back in your face, basically blinding you! (as would low beams in severe situations).
This is the reason the manufacturer disables the fogs when high beams are activated.
Conversely, Driving Lights are an auxiliary high beam system for better long distance visibility when weather is clear.
Neither system should be used when following traffic, or if there is oncoming traffic. (I believe they are illegal in most, if not all areas).
We should all be courteous drivers and use lighting systems for their specific applications.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to just rewire with a relay. I've been wanting to do this, just haven't looked into it really... looking forward to a response [popcorn]

Pete

I have done this about 7 months ago. I used a relay for my fogs and a relay for my spot beams. I can turn my fogs on just by themselves retaining the ability as mentioned above. But when I turn my high beams on the fogs still stay one. Basically you get a 4 point relay wire in power and ground. Then after locating the power wire on the high beam have that go into the input of the relay and then the output goes on the power wire of the fog lights. That way if you want just the fogs on only the fogs will be on. And when you turn your high beams on you get maximum lighting.

This is with everything on

OP
M
Thread Starter #6
Nice, I can't tell but are your low and high beams on too? I like your spots, and was thinking of doing something similar. did you mount them on the crash bar?

I'd love a how too guide if anyone has the energy! I'd do it if I had a chance of success but my guide would be more in the area of "how to butcher your lights into not working at all"

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
After purchasing the FiST and realizing that DRLs were no longer available on the US model.
I wired my fogs to be DRLs, so they are on any time the engine is running.
This is seen on very many cars/trucks in my area.
Although my fogs come on with the engine, a separate switch, or the high beams themselves could be used to trigger the fogs to turn on.

If needed, I could provide that hook up procedure.

Dave

OP
M
Thread Starter #9
If needed, I could provide that hook up procedure.

Dave

That would be most helpful and appreciated! Question, do DRL's stay on with high beams? I thought they were the high beams on a low power setting on some cars

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
That would be most helpful and appreciated! Question, do DRL's stay on with high beams? I thought they were the high beams on a low power setting on some cars

That was true with the '11 - '13 US Fiesta.
In '14 the DRLs were discontinued on US models.

As I said above I wired my fogs to come on when the engine is running.
Therefore they are on with of without any lights on or off.
The simple answer is yes, they stay on with the high beams.

Dave

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
That would be most helpful and appreciated!
OK, I rewrote the connections to do exactly what you wanted.
This way you can use the fog lights with both low and high beam headlights.
BTW on the USDM FiST, the low beams do stay on when the high beam are turned on (at least my car does).

It is actually very easy.

Just buy a Ford relay just like the current fog light relay.
You can use terminal connectors but it fits better if you just solder wires to the inside of the relay.
This way everything fits in the relay/fuse block next to the battery.
Remove the relay's plastic cover, it just pops off.
Connect wires to terminals #1, #2, #3, & #5.
If you connect to the inside of this relay you can drill a hole in the plastic top and run the wires out the top.
This will allow you to place the relay into an unused socket with no connections. (Space for R12)
The relay will just sit there and the box cover will keep it from jumping out.

On the new relay, connect terminal #1 to terminal #5 of the high beam relay (R10).
On the new relay, connect terminal #2 to terminal #5 of the headlight switch (GY-VT wire) inside the car.
On the new relay, connect terminal #3 to terminal #2 of the car's fog light relay (R11).
On the new relay, connect terminal #5 to ground.

The new relay will energize only when both the fog and high beam switches are on.
It in turn will energize the fog light relay.
The fog light switch will continue to function normally with the low beams, parking lights, and auto lamps.

Dave

OP
M
Thread Starter #12
D1JL Dave,

Thanks! You've been most helpful and I really do appreciate it. [cheers] first round's on me!

Mike

It has to be a simpler way--just take the switched terminal on the fog light relay and find one that is ignition switched, then just run a jumper over to it.

This is how the Tacoma guys do it with the "fog lights on all the time" mod.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
It has to be a simpler way--just take the switched terminal on the fog light relay and find one that is ignition switched, then just run a jumper over to it.

This is how the Tacoma guys do it with the "fog lights on all the time" mod.
This would be the way to have the fogs come on ALL THE TIME with ignition.
More like DRLs, My fogs come on that way.

The question above was how to have the fogs on with high beams.

The other thing you must be careful with is that the relays are NOT turned on by the switches but by the BCM.
The BCM supplies a switched GROUND to turn on the relays.
I is also best to use an isolation relay to prevent anything getting back to the BCM.

However it's your car, you can do it anyway you want.

Dave