Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hello....and a few questions....

PTCary

Hello, first post! [cool] Just starting my search for a preowned ST, will be a few months still.

Have a few questions for everyone. First, just how stiff is the stock suspension? My current daily driver is a 10 Mazda3 with stock springs and Koni oranges, and my PT is on Bilstein coilovers. Mazda are on the stiff side, curious to know if ST is stiffer?

Also what about highway tire noise? Not sure what summer performance tires come stock or if they are loud. Again anyone able to compare to a Mazda 3?

Other than these 2 minor concerns, I like everything else I have read, but have not driven one yet. Want an "orange" one with Recaros and sunroof. Mods will be minimal, stage 1 at most.

Thanks
Cary

Welcome!

I would describe the stock suspension as firm not stiff. I know its rides better than my 4wd f150. Go test drive one to really find out. The stock tires on mine "some come with all weather Michelins" are Bridgestone Potenza Re050A. Road noise is audible but not overbearing or loud. I had these tires on a GTO and got almost 50k miles out of them.

Good luck with your search.

Welcome!

I've had both a 2010 Mazda3, and a 2015 Mazda3, along with a 2014 Focus ST and now the 2015 Fiesta ST. I would say out of all 4 of these cars, the Fiesta ST is the 'firmest' riding - but by no means is it unbearable.

There is a difference between 'firm' and 'harsh' riding cars. I also had a 2013 Veloster Turbo, and that was HARSH. You could feel the suspension hit the bump stops, and I hated the tires on that car. My Fiesta ST has the summer Potenzas, and I've gotten used to how they ride, and I LOVE the way they handle. Unfortunately for me, I live in PA, and need to get all season tires (no room for a separate set of rims/tires) so I'm going with the all seasons that Ford uses, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.

The Mazdas, while very good handling cars, are tuned more for comfort - the ST's are tuned more for performance. Like others have said, go and test drive one - you'll be hooked by the first corner!

Hope that helps!

Zissou

My buddy had a '12 Mazdaspeed3 and stiffness was pretty comparable. It is not as soft as my sister's 07 Mazda 3 hatch (which is all stock). Stock FiST suspension is decent at gobbling up bumps despite the very low profile tires, considering the car.

Highway noise comes down to tire choice but I would say the stock Bridgestones are not very loud. I have a set of Pirelli P4's for the winter that are quieter, though most of the noise will be from wind. I would say my FiST is quieter than my sister's 07 Mazda 3 hatchback.

Every so often someone on here lists a FiST for sale on the classifieds.

I'm coming from 4 Mazdas (Miatas, Mazda2 and a '14 Mazda6). The FiST is slightly firmer than my Mazdas but tire psi on the Potenzas are a big part of that, too much air ruins the ride. Mine were at 47psi when I took delivery! Tire noise isn't bad at all honestly and the wind noise is WAYYY lower than Mazdas. Part of SkyActiv is thin windows and very little soundproofing. The Ford 'Soundshield' windshield or what ever it's called is leaps and bounds better than Mazdas. You'll love it.

OP
P

PTCary

Thread Starter #13
Thanks everyone! Great info!
I won't test drive until I get closer to buying one. I think I will be fine with the suspension as it seems like it will be right between my other two cars. The only issue I can see right now is that used prices are not very far from Focus ST.

I like Fiesta more though!

A few more questions...
Is there a headlight delay timer that keeps them on after the car is shut off? Do these keyless cars lock themselves if you don't do so before you walk away?

And lastly exhausts, pretty much a must have for me. Is the MBRP to loud? I like the Focus ST version better as it has a second resonator in it. My Mazda has the Racing Beat and PT has the Mopar Borla, which are both pretty quiet. Some videos of the MBRP make it sound raspy.

Thanks again!
Cary

Zissou

When I bought my FiST the FoST was the same price with the incentives. You should drive both.

The best way to answer how it rides is to actually drive one. Once you do that, then maybe get into the weeds with details like what aftermarket exhausts sound like. There are a ton of exhausts out there but if you hate the way the car drives then it won't really matter.