Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How many people purchased the extended warranty?

How many people purchased the extended warranty?

• Yes

Votes: 115 37.7%
  • No

Votes: 160 52.5%
  • May purchase before warranty expires

Votes: 30 9.8%

• Total voters
No, I honestly don't trust Ford dealerships whatsoever. I dropped my 120k mile warranty because I want to lightly modify my car without them basically stealing $2k of my money. $2k will get you quite a lot of repairs.

Finally got around to buying my 2017 Shadow Black FiST, got the warranty (6 yr, 60k miles, paid outright, not financed) first new car, plus it was a demo with 203 miles on it. Tech package option with Rado gray wheels (which was left off of the sticker [8D] ). Internet price was $16,500 , right at $19k OTD, very happy.

DaveG99

Finally got around to buying my 2017 Shadow Black FiST, got the warranty (6 yr, 60k miles, paid outright, not financed) first new car, plus it was a demo with 203 miles on it. Tech package option with Rado gray wheels (which was left off of the sticker [8D] ). Internet price was $16,500 , right at $19k OTD, very happy.
Are you on the North Texas ST facebook page? Also click the link in my sig for the upcoming cruise.

I think the extended warr is a good idea, not so much for the powertrain, but ALL the electronics cars have nowadays, are costly, and pricey to diagnose, remove and replace.

The 3yr/36K covers us bumper to bumper (except for normal wear items, clutch, brake pads, battery etc), but after that, we just have the Engine & Trans covered for a few years more. I don't see the drivetrain as something that's likely to fail, but that's covered in the ext warr too. More so the electronics that control, well, everything. It's kinda daunting when you think about how much technology we have on cars these days.
I'd prefer to be covered, it's just another insurance expense I hope I don't need, but will be happy if I ever do.

I look at it this way, Honda's & Toyota's are known to be super-reliable cars, right? We can agree? So why are dealership service areas filled with Techs working on them, everyday? (They aren't living off of oil changes, you know that).

Being those two brands have an arguably much better track record than say, Ford or Chevy, I can't see not having the Ext Warr. But that's just my observation. :)

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Great deal, congrats. I am assuming it was a base model. I am stil debating if I should buy the extended warranty for the electronics.

Great deal, congrats. I am assuming it was a base model. I am stil debating if I should buy the extended warranty for the electronics.
I ended up cancelling the warranty upon discovering how it was funded and the finance manager lying as well as slamming me with an etching service that I did not ask for. I not only cancelled both service contracts within 48 hours of the purchase of the car, but I contacted the service warranty company and blocked any initial funding of those contracts so the finance manager couldn’t get his commission and shat in their mouth when I rated my dealership experience. He chose poorly.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I ended up cancelling the warranty upon discovering how it was funded and the finance manager lying as well as slamming me with an etching service that I did not ask for. I not only cancelled both service contracts within 48 hours of the purchase of the car, but I contacted the service warranty company and blocked any initial funding of those contracts so the finance manager couldn’t get his commission and shat in their mouth when I rated my dealership experience. He chose poorly.
Yes...yes he did my fellow FiSTer!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I bought one when I got my Mustang 6 years ago and was very happy with the decision, but my dealer gave me a REALLY good deal on it then. The option was 5x/mo more this time around when I got my FiST so I decided not to.

Jerickson88

I got the 5 year 100k. I’m still kidding the car (bolt one from Cobb, that way if they ever dig their heels in I’d try and have a leg to stand on) I’m at almost 2 years, 27k miles. Taking 2k or not, atleast there’s hope of a major repair being done. The dealer is a Roush dealer, and tons of performance cars come thru, I’m hoping they are understanding of modifications.

It's always a gamble. But I play the odds. Warranties wouldn't exist if they lost money. So based purely on that, they are not "worth" what you pay for them.

It's always a gamble. But I play the odds. Warranties wouldn't exist if they lost money. So based purely on that, they are not "worth" what you pay for them.
That's definitely an interesting way of looking at it, but auto insurance, health & property ins wouldn't exist if they lost money either, but we still need them, and rely on them. I guess it's just one of those insurances I have, that if/when I need it, it's there. I have friends that work as service mgrs at auto dlrships, and they say people get mad at them all the time, bc of costs of out-of-warranty repair, especially electronics, so i'm glad I'm covered, especially since this is my first new Ford, and I've mostly had Japanese cars, (some of them needed work that was thankfully covered by the extended warr.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
That's definitely an interesting way of looking at it, but auto insurance, health & property ins wouldn't exist if they lost money either, but we still need them, and rely on them. I guess it's just one of those insurances I have, that if/when I need it, it's there. I have friends that work as service mgrs at auto dlrships, and they say people get mad at them all the time, bc of costs of out-of-warranty repair, especially electronics, so i'm glad I'm covered, especially since this is my first new Ford, and I've mostly had Japanese cars, (some of them needed work that was thankfully covered by the extended warr.
Broadening the subject to auto (wreck) insurance, the problem begins, when they price these services to make money off of 97%+ of the people who use it. That's not the way it was intended to work. But greed, and thanks to the funding of elections, a total lack of oversight and consumer protection laws, allows them to go to any extreme to select their customers and collude on pricing. Insurance by original design was merely intended for catastrophic events. But that's not how 98% of the people use it. Further broadening to health, portions of the ACA were designed to prevent insurance companies from going to some of those extremes. But needless to say, the ACA from birth has been sabotaged in about every way possible; and nothing but a shell of it's original vision remains currently.

Personally, I carried eye insurance for a year, and elected to use it when getting a new pair of glasses. Adding up what was paid into it versus what I "saved" when using it, I actually lost a little money. Got a coworker to do the same with his health ins and after crunching the numbers, he was a little pissed. Not of the viewpoint that all ins is bad for every circumstance. Just making the opposite is all. Weigh your situation, your circumstances, your history, and attempt to negotiate a lower price based on it. You will have to demonstrate your willingness to walk. They know the percentages and that with initial pricing they're overwhelmingly likely to make A LOT of money. So something is better than nothing.

I find it interesting so many are worried about "electronics"

If you research the individual components, there is nothing over complicated on this system. Most components are things that have been around for a long time. And with most, have a small rate of failure.

For a lot, its insurance for "the unknown"

I work on my own vehicles, no matter the size of job. And I can buy quite a number of parts for what dealers charge for extended warranties.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I sense a tid bit of facetiousness there. Many of the components are "modularized". This makes identifying and replacing problem equipment easier. He's also right in that, they usually have a low failure rate; it is more often a wiring or power issue, especially with older vehicles. Getting to the modules is usually a matter of following instructions.

None the less you're right about it being time consuming. The modules are usually hundred(s) of dollars... too expensive to be guessing when they may not take electronic parts back. These days those modules often require special equipment for diagnostics and programming. The manuals and equipment can't be rented, unfortunately. So you're forced to pay shop time for diagnostics and labor.

I find it interesting so many are worried about "electronics"
Yeah, I think I've about got my monies worth from my extended warranty, and it's definitely been for electronics. Been in the shop 3 times now because it keeps blowing fuses (still there currently, hopefully for the last time). I for one don't have the tools (and probably not the knowledge, either) to diagnose which component has failed. (I'm also a little on the "bigger" side to be crawling around and reaching behind the dash)

I work on my own vehicles, no matter the size of job. And I can buy quite a number of parts for what dealers charge for extended warranties.
Sounds like you've already invested in your own tools and knowledge, instead of the extended warranty. Good for you.

Wasn't going to, but found out that the finance manager guys kids are in my kids class. I left the dealer paying $4 extra month for the extended warranty. I can skip Starbucks every now and then.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
As I posted elsewhere, I purchased the extended warranty (up to 125,000 miles) and glad I did. My key fobs went on the blink and the dealer found out that the BCM needed to be replaced. Would have cost me over $1,500 to fix but was under the warranty. Now I have to replace the brake booster and vacuum hose because of a leak, a 5hr job, roughly a $600 with labour, job but will be covered, so, yes, I'm glad I went for it otherwise I'd be out over $2,000! Better safe than sorry!