Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Question on fitment

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
And another thought.....
Some wheels have a very thick hub mounting surface but the holes are countersunk very deep so the lugs can be reached to install them with the lug nuts and have a design that is relatively easy to bore new holes by turning them 45 degrees so evenly spaced between the original holes but going just deep enough to be strong then shave off the back side to change the offset.
That would have the benefit of reducing weight as well as making them fit.

Of course we have to consider the strength of the wheels in question, manf quality, materials and process.

That is part of why I choose to do the extra work required to fit what I know are very high grade wheels in sizes and weights I want to run and not mod the wheels to fit the vehicle or order custom or very rare, close outs, etc.....no spares available.

OP
TheGreenOne
Thread Starter #22
And another thought.....
Some wheels have a very thick hub mounting surface but the holes are countersunk very deep so the lugs can be reached to install them with the lug nuts and have a design that is relatively easy to bore new holes by turning them 45 degrees so evenly spaced between the original holes but going just deep enough to be strong then shave off the back side to change the offset.
That would have the benefit of reducing weight as well as making them fit.

Of course we have to consider the strength of the wheels in question, manf quality, materials and process.

That is part of why I choose to do the extra work required to fit what I know are very high grade wheels in sizes and weights I want to run and not mod the wheels to fit the vehicle or order custom or very rare, close outs, etc.....no spares available.
Yeah, the 4x108 traklites are 700 a piece, but the 5x100 traklites are like 170 a piece. Problem is then I have to buy adapters, and those add another 300 to the price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-Motegi-Racing-MR131-Traklite-Black-Wheel-17x7-5x100-45mm-MR13177051745-Rim-/351485843727?hash=item51d630590f&vxp=mtr

GAbOS

It's a super tough call for me on the 4x100 vs 4x108. With the crazy high offset we need to begin with, it's thin pickings either way. I'ld go 4x100 in a heart beat considering that what my e30 uses, but everything I have is -25 and up.

my 4x100's include a set of original BBS Mtech II white 14" BBS, Gold center/ chrome lip Enkei 92's in 15x8 and my favs.. Borbet Style C's 16x7.5 f and 17x7.5 r. All of these would poke pretty bad on the fiesta. 5x114.5 would have netted us so many more choices with the Fiesta's stock offset. All of my Mitsu wheels would have fit then :p

GAbOS

A real info thread needs someone to stay on top of the OP with the factual updates.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
A real info thread needs someone to stay on top of the OP with the factual updates.
No one will bother discussing wheel fitment anymore because every time it comes up it the #becauseracecar owners come out and explain how anyone doing something other than #becauseracecar is just following a trend. Moderators haven't done much in the past to keep that from happening, so no one bothers participating because it's a waste of time. It's simple math and measuring; the few that know how just do it off of the forums.

GAbOS

Well of course you are going to have that sort of chatter, as well as 'stance' chatter I'm sure. You would expect that in a wheel fitment thread. It could work if you had someone running the original thread with some consistency.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Chatter, lol.

The few that actually know what they're doing and talking about don't want to waste their time.

OP
TheGreenOne
Thread Starter #30
We could use a good thread dedicated to high offset, 15/16 inch only wheels.
The problem is there really aren't any. I've been shopping for wheels for months now. I've seen some 15x9, 16x8, 16x9, 17x8, and 18x8, but almost all of them still have a 30-40 offset. These ESMs are 16x8 +20 offset so with some 205/45r16 tires stretched just that little bit, they'll look beautiful.

OP
TheGreenOne
Thread Starter #31
Chatter, lol.

The few that actually know what they're doing and talking about don't want to waste their time.
The few other threads in this subforum ran into the same problem. Probably also the reason why there are only like 10 threads in this subforum. It's sad really. Not all stance is bad. Stupid high camber, ridiculous poke, and dangerously stretched tires are the bad things.

GAbOS

The problem is there really aren't any. I've been shopping for wheels for months now. I've seen some 15x9, 16x8, 16x9, 17x8, and 18x8, but almost all of them still have a 30-40 offset. These ESMs are 16x8 +20 offset so with some 205/45r16 tires stretched just that little bit, they'll look beautiful.
Exactly what I stated before. I would be in heaven and go 4x100 in a heart beat if the Fiesta wasn't this high an offset. This car is in perfect territory to share the 4x100 offerings from the e30/mx5 crew.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
When I want to fit not standard wheels on a car or truck and not sure how they will fit I just draw it out, put the original specs on a line then the new wheel specs and can instantly tell how far in or out the inboard and outboard rim lips will change from the original wheel. Always add 1" to the width as wheels are measured from inside the lips, not outside, 8" means a 9" total width, etc.

Going to a 16x8 +20 mm wheel with the added 1" rim with will not be that bad a setup, not optimal or what I would do but far better than doing so with an added 20mm adapter which I am sure will not fit under the car.

I need to find my drawings as I have done the work on many offsets and as I recall the 15x8, +25mm version of the wheels I run would stick out just about as much as the 15x9 +35mm wheels I now have on the car. That would mean 16x8, +20mm would stick out +5mm more than +25mm 15x8 wheels. I had to change the rear camber to fit what I run and roll and pull the fenders quite a bit on both ends of the car. (I was going to change the rear camber and toe already as did not like the factory setup for the speeds I take this car into corners on track, to easy to spin the car)

I am going to double check this to ensure posting the right info.

I love a nice lowered and flushed look as much as anybody, done it many times:)

I just like the best geometry while doing so and add rim width and adjust offsets to make it work, like the 13" wide wheels on my last Vette I had custom made for it. On the ST I had to remove the caulk line on the inside fender lip after moving the fenders out as far as I could, that is about as flush as possible without doing major body work. If the car was lowered more it would look tucked but I have it set at the optimal lowering point for the geometry which is pretty easy to use on the street and perfect on the track so I do not have to change anything but the damper valving.

I get a great deal of positive attention than I expected which I did not build the car for but nice to get anyway:)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Having worked with the E30 and owned 6 MX/5's I went right to 4x100 shortly after buying the car, 294 miles on it when I did the conversion. There are few 17's that work unless you want to stay with 7" wide and still be low weight, Konig Feathers are my 3 season wheels in 17x7. There is only one really good moderate price 16x8 I know of, the Enkei mentioned already. You can get Advan's as one member did but $$$$$$ and no spare wheel if needed unless buy an extra one.
Lot's of great 15's but nearly all have the wrong offset at +25mm in 15x8 sizes.

-------------

Glad you are looking for lowered and flushed, not the over the top stanced look:)

dyn085

2000 Post Club
A 16x8 et20 only pokes 2.3mm more than a 15x9 et35. It's simple math, not art class.

OP
TheGreenOne
Thread Starter #36
Just by eyeing the clearance, I'm assuming I can squeeze a 16x8 wheel with 205/45r16 tires into our wheel wells. I plan on leaving the stock suspension and adding some sway bars.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I am visually oriented so I like to draw things out instead of using a calculator, just math, etc....:)

Just eyeballing the "poke" on my car with the pulled and rolled fenders my front wheel lips stick out approx 1/2" past the fenders, I also have -2.5 camber which pulls them in a bit.

The rear sticks out closer to an inch and that is with -1.5 camber, add 2.3mm and on stock fenders with stock camber it will be pretty extreme with a 205 tire.

Even at stock height you may have a clearance issue over bumps.

I am glad you want to go with a 205 on an 8" rim, it is a great pairing:)

I also have to retract my posting about the +20 offset on 16x8, a bit to much load on the bearings, hubs, suspension, pickup points, to much added scrub radius.

If you are willing to live with all that go ahead of course, just making sure you do know what happens when such a mod is done and it is far better than a stanced car not done right, which I doubt many have been.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Just by eyeing the clearance, I'm assuming I can squeeze a 16x8 wheel with 205/45r16 tires into our wheel wells. I plan on leaving the stock suspension and adding some sway bars.
There are plenty of members out there running 8" wide wheels, that in and of itself is not the problem if you have the correct offset.
Willtheyfit gives me an additional ~40mm of poke, with stock diameter. Worst case, I get a lower profile tire.
Just like it was posted above, you can measure this off the face of your OEM wheel to see. Basically, it won't fit without a lot of work.

I also have to retract my posting about the +20 offset on 16x8, a bit to much load on the bearings, hubs, suspension, pickup points, to much added scrub radius.
An additional 2.3mm over what you're running is too much? I would definitely like to see the math that supports that claim.

OP
TheGreenOne
Thread Starter #40
There are plenty of members out there running 8" wide wheels, that in and of itself is not the problem if you have the correct offset.

Just like it was posted above, you can measure this off the face of your OEM wheel to see. Basically, it won't fit without a lot of work.

An additional 2.3mm over what you're running is too much? I would definitely like to see the math that supports that claim.
See. This is why I ask questions. I'd rather look like an idiot on a forum, than spend hundreds of dollars and look like a bigger idiot.