Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Quad Tip, Dual Exhaust

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I just realized this thread is in the wrong place, it is not about "Ecoboost Engine Upgrades" as it will reduce performance.

It belongs in "Exterior Cosmetic and Lighting Modification" as it is about cosmetic enhancement for those that like the look of this more than adding performance to their cars.

Just to set the record straight:)

GAbOS

Performance has to do with flow of the exhaust. Is there more opportunity to impede flow in a dual exhaust? Yes.

decreased flow = decreased output

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Absolutely, more restriction or turbulence will reduce performance which it would highly likely do but if not it still adds weight which reduces performance in all aspects which is pretty logical;)

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Everyone seems to forget that we have a turbo. Short of putting the tiniest tubing available after it, you're not going to increase restriction more than the hot-side already does. Geez.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
"highly likely" without testing hard to prove.

"adds weight" absolutely reduces performance in acceleration and braking and usually in handling but could help if used in some circumstances.

At best, reduced performance for the vast majority that would do such a mod.

--------------

Of course dual tipped dual exhaust looks cool as all hell, on the right car.

On the FiST if you do a dual exhaust I think a single tip per side looks much better and done right really would not impact flow much if at all and add less of the all damning weight.

I love dual exhausts when on the right application but not on a little pocket rocket like my beloved FiST:)

twolf

Christ guys, we drive Ford Fiestas, not top fuel dragsters. An extra few pounds isn't the end of the world. I bet half the people who complain about extra weight have beer bellies... go on a diet so you can go an extra 0.00001 second faster in the 1/4.

SICKESSS-ST

Christ guys, we drive Ford Fiestas, not top fuel dragsters. An extra few pounds isn't the end of the world. I bet half the people who complain about extra weight have beer bellies... go on a diet so you can go an extra 0.00001 second faster in the 1/4.
Hahaha! That is so true. [twothumb]

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
LMAO...right on!! [rofl]

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Bravo, good sir! Rep when I get back to my 'puter!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Some of us take things more seriously and do all we can to control weight, reduce it, add back if we must in better places and use our cars to also go around corners, over bumps in the road, stop, etc, not just drag race where weight is important but less so than on a car used to do more things.

Personal opinion or taste has nothing to do with the argument, it is purely physics and the topic is cars, not the hugely varying weight of different drivers.

Most have not driven or ridden in a well sorted out car with a decent amount of weight removed in key areas so have no basis of understanding the often quite profound change it makes in all aspects of performance and more often than not ride quality.

-------------

It takes a great deal more involvement to make a great car better than a great car worse;)

JasonHaven

Some of us take things more seriously and do all we can to control weight, reduce it, add back if we must in better places and use our cars to also go around corners, over bumps in the road, stop, etc, not just drag race where weight is important but less so than on a car used to do more things.

Personal opinion or taste has nothing to do with the argument, it is purely physics and the topic is cars, not the hugely varying weight of different drivers.

Most have not driven or ridden in a well sorted out car with a decent amount of weight removed in key areas so have no basis of understanding the often quite profound change it makes in all aspects of performance and more often than not ride quality.

-------------

It takes a great deal more involvement to make a great car better than a great car worse;)
What's your BMI? ;)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
None of your business and I never check as never much overweight:)

I could stand to loose 10lbs or so, moved to NV in July, a ton of new beers to try compared to UT, I have entered over 200 since then on Untappd and have over 500 entered within the week since I started the program the first of the year. 500 beers tried, 10 lbs gained, not to bad.

And I have removed around 175lbs from the car, around 80 lbs of that in unsprung and/or rotational weight. I need to put it back on the scales once I get the turbo swap done as have not weighed it in some time now, DHM race IC and crash bar, radiator upgrade, more weight taken out than added back.

I built my car to be very fast in all ways but also a great driver for just site seeing, cruising, etc and it is very comfy, quiet, rides great, will have an ultra low weight but high output audiophile sound system with most of the weight being quick release mounted(I own a sound deadening business so it has to have the audio and sound deadening) Once done with the audio on board it will still be at least 150 lbs lighter than stock.

For those less serious about things, which is fine by me, adding a few lbs here and there is not a big deal but many do not look at the big picture and add more than just a few things and next thing you know it adds up to a considerable amount. I have seen far to many cars with heavy wheels and tires, sub box, lights, flares, wings, spoilers, splitters, usually unneeded chassis braces, sway bars sometimes not needed, etc...........100-150 lbs added and sometimes much more instead of the 150 minimum I have removed that is a 250-300 lb difference.

For those that think it does not matter put a 300 lb passenger in and see how it feels accelerating, braking, cornering...;)