Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Spark plug tech

What’s the general consensus on NGK plugs, I’m going to buy some pre gapped from Ron and I wondering what to do. Car is Randy tuned on a stock turbo

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
What’s the general consensus on NGK plugs, I’m going to buy some pre gapped from Ron and I wondering what to do. Car is Randy tuned on a stock turbo
he will most likely suggest stock heat range, gapped .025-.026
I can't speak for him obviously but this is exactly what he just suggested to others recently

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I am just stage 2 on E30 and run the one step colder. Stratified is my tune and they recommend one step colder on any tuned FiST. the colder plug is a little insurance against detonation since most tunes are looking for 25-26psi.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am just stage 2 on E30 and run the one step colder. Stratified is my tune and they recommend one step colder on any tuned FiST. the colder plug is a little insurance against detonation since most tunes are looking for 25-26psi.
As long as one does not 'short trip' in very cold ambient temps (which you should not do anyway to keep moisture, washed down fuel dilution of the oil, and the resultant acids from forming in your crankcase), the colder plugs should be OK.
IF you do (short trip in the cold), you could have more of a chance of 'loading up' the combustion chamber with carbon, and washing down the cylinder walls with fuel which then goes into the sump and dilutes, and with the moisture, turns the oil acidic, with the colder plugs [:(]

Quisp

1000 Post Club
As long as one does not 'short trip' in very cold ambient temps (which you should not do anyway to keep moisture, washed down fuel dilution of the oil, and the resultant acids from forming in your crankcase), the colder plugs should be OK.
IF you do (short trip in the cold), you could have more of a chance of 'loading up' the combustion chamber with carbon, and washing down the cylinder walls with fuel which then goes into the sump and dilutes, and with the moisture, turns the oil acidic, with the colder plugs [:(]
The most you will do is foul a plug . One step colder is not going to cause any of that.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^OK, but WHO even wants to foul a plug and get misfires?
You have little to worry about since it rarely gets even to freezing temps where you are located.

The best solution for those in very cold climes is to switch back and forth between the two heat ranges twice a year, IF you actually do need the colder plugs at all due to a radical tune and/or turbo upgrade.
But of course NO ONE is going to bother with even thinking about doing that.
(Or just make sure that once you start the car, you then drive it for at least a half hour to 45 minutes, minimum. ;))

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I know im years late on this but you should have been at .026. Regardless of length of plug the gap size is the same
Thanks! I’ll go back 5 years and let myself know so I don’t have to worry about figuring things out on this car because we know a whole bunch now!

Thanks! I’ll go back 5 years and let myself know so I don’t have to worry about figuring things out on this car because we know a whole bunch now!
haha! why i pointed out im years behind. But only reason I guess I mentioned it is, I still see where people are gapping plugs for this car too far out. Im not an expert. I for the longest time didnt think a colder plug would matter. I bought a set of the NGK 6510s yesterday. But happened to be last minute searching things to confirm my purchase. Ive only had mine since '16 and im full bolt on E30 looking for a little extra. Just late to the party is all. Wasnt trying to be a dick my friend [biggrin]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Next question....which spark plug is the best? NGK 6510 OR Denso 5340?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have a set of the new 'Ruthenium' (LOL) plugs from NGK for our engine, in the standard heat range (they supposedly make them in 3 heat ranges?), but have not installed them yet.