Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Oil filter Part Numbers

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So, to refresh this thread, I stumbled upon something interesting.... I picked up a NAPA Platinum (Wix XP) oil filter as I was buying a few other things and needed one more item to trigger 20% off all of it and the Platinum was on a Fire sale for only $5, regular $13 or something. Anyway, I got the one that cross-referenced from the FL-400S and at the time I thought, "Hmmm, this looks kind of big..." but then I got around to doing my oil change this weekend and holy crap! This thing is LONG! easily a full inch longer than the FL-400S, it's sticks out so much you can see it just looking straight down the front of the engine bay, it's only an inch or so from the radiator fan shroud. It seemed to take a good few more ounces of oil too over the FL400S and holy crap, oil temps are ridiculously good! In nearly 100 degree heat yesterday I couldn't get my oil temps above 215 and in regular 70 degree weather, oil temps stay around 180! So, the effect is 2 fold: First it takes more oil to spread out the heat, and 2nd, it's so long that it acts like it's own heat sink/2nd little oil cooler with so much surface area exposed right behind the radiator fan. For those who want to try it, I suggest the NAPA Gold/Wix regular, part number 1516-NAPA/51516-Wix, it actually filters more finely over the Platinum and with our oil change intervals so much shorter than the Platinum filter's 15k life it's the more appropriate one to use.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Been saying this a long time....more oil the better.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Right, over the stock FL910S, we're talking maybe 1/4 qt more, but with our overall cooling SO marginal AND the heat sink effect from being longer, it adds up to very clearly more lower and more stable temps.

FL910S: 4.3" long
FL400S: 4.88" long
Wix 51516: 5.3" long

So yeah, not a ton of difference as it looks on the surface, I had a hard time finding consistent measurements on each and still not sure if this is 100% right, but dang, the Wix/NAPA looks huge and REALLY works in keeping oil temps down a good 10-15 degrees easily for sure over even the FL400S. My car has seen an FL910S only once: From the factory. First OC was with a Bosch Pro a half inch longer and noticed slightly lower temps, then FL400S a few times, and a bit lower temps than the Bosch, and now with this NAPA Platinum, clearly lower temps still... Just goes to show just HOW marginal the oil cooling system is in our cars to start with! And of course, with it all relating to underhood temps, while others in my local FiST group were overheating (245 degrees?) with limp mode and warning light, etc, I I managed to escape that hitting 240.6 at the highest. I also use a little more water than 50/50 maybe 55% water along with a HALF bottle of Water Wetter and that does help a little. For guys living where it rarely gets super cold, I'd run only 25% coolant along with the WW, but that's for another thread, LOL.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^HA! Yesterday, during my summer oil change, I got the Fram Ultra 3600 to fit, and it is even longer (by at least .50") than the FL-400S (and probably a bit more than the Wix as well)!
But I still have the factory radiator, and doubt it would clear ANY of the aftermarket ones at all. [:(]

In nearly 100 degree heat yesterday I couldn't get my oil temps above 215 and in regular 70 degree weather, oil temps stay around 180!
Seems impressive. Were the readings taken from a dedicated oil temperature gauge?

DEss

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Right, over the stock FL910S, we're talking maybe 1/4 qt more, but with our overall cooling SO marginal AND the heat sink effect from being longer, it adds up to very clearly more lower and more stable temps.

FL910S: 4.3" long
FL400S: 4.88" long
Wix 51516: 5.3" long

So yeah, not a ton of difference as it looks on the surface, I had a hard time finding consistent measurements on each and still not sure if this is 100% right, but dang, the Wix/NAPA looks huge and REALLY works in keeping oil temps down a good 10-15 degrees easily for sure over even the FL400S. My car has seen an FL910S only once: From the factory. First OC was with a Bosch Pro a half inch longer and noticed slightly lower temps, then FL400S a few times, and a bit lower temps than the Bosch, and now with this NAPA Platinum, clearly lower temps still... Just goes to show just HOW marginal the oil cooling system is in our cars to start with! And of course, with it all relating to underhood temps, while others in my local FiST group were overheating (245 degrees?) with limp mode and warning light, etc, I I managed to escape that hitting 240.6 at the highest. I also use a little more water than 50/50 maybe 55% water along with a HALF bottle of Water Wetter and that does help a little. For guys living where it rarely gets super cold, I'd run only 25% coolant along with the WW, but that's for another thread, LOL.
I see 4.3" listed as one of the dimensions for the FL910S on Amazon, but my spare Mobil 102A filter is only 3.3" (which happens to match the second dimension on Amazon - 4.33 x 3.23 x 3.11 in). Is 4.3 legitimate? And why are there 3 dimensions (? x height x width)? :unsure:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
^^^HA! Yesterday, during my summer oil change, I got the Fram Ultra 3600 to fit, and it is even longer (by at least .50") than the FL-400S (and probably a bit more than the Wix as well)!
But I still have the factory radiator, and doubt it would clear ANY of the aftermarket ones at all. [:(]
Sounds likely to be about the same size as the Wix, have you noticed lower temps as well?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Seems impressive. Were the readings taken from a dedicated oil temperature gauge?

DEss
Using the AP, which reports the same temp as based off the ECU algorithm based off a number of sensors. When my coolant nearly overheated today in 100 degree heat, 242, my oil temp hit only 220.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I see 4.3" listed as one of the dimensions for the FL910S on Amazon, but my spare Mobil 102A filter is only 3.3" (which happens to match the second dimension on Amazon - 4.33 x 3.23 x 3.11 in). Is 4.3 legitimate? And why are there 3 dimensions (? x height x width)? :unsure:
That's what I'm saying, looks like that is the box size or something, I'm thinking the Wix is indeed a full 2 inches longer than the 910.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
^^^The 3600 is even closer to the shroud's vent flaps than that Wix!
Nice! And any Fram OTHER than the orange one is good quality, I know... I might have to try that, depending on what deals I can find, but I'm pretty happy hitting a very max of 221 at 70 MPH on a 98 degree day though,and we all know oil temp goes up with high sustained engine speeds.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
^^^Yeah, I am going to need ALL of the help I can get regarding oil temps, with the factory radiator, and the skid plate going on soon. :(
Just get the rear diffuser...end of story...make it look fast....like me. Minus a Gen2 though!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Those thin spikes on the back of it would not last 2 miles down some of the stage roads I must traverse while working on the ARA rallies. [nono]
I would invest in some of the kevlar under body/sill protection way before I ever even consider that diffuser. ;)

I don't mean to throw off any conversations going on, but I'd like to throw in the Donaldson P502016. I've been using Donaldson on all of my cars for years, and they're one of the biggest suppliers for oil filters in the commercial industry. If those guys can get hundreds of thousands of hours on their engines running these filters, that's something to be said. I've been pairing it with Ravenol SFE 5W-20 in my FiST and I've been receiving excellent oil analysis results from Blackstone. I would also throw in the Hengst H315W since I've ran Henst in my Audi and Kia with excellent filtration, but the lack of availability here in America makes it a bit difficult.