Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What oil brand do you use on your Fiesta ST?

What oil brand do you use on your Fiesta ST?

• Motorcraft

Votes: 119 27.1%
  • Havoline

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quaker State

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Castro

Votes: 55 12.5%
  • Valvoline

Votes: 18 4.1%
  • Pennzoil

Votes: 71 16.2%
  • Mobil

Votes: 122 27.8%
  • Pure Gaurd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lucas

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Redline

Votes: 16 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 62 14.1%

• Total voters

danbfree

3000 Post Club
There are a few channels on YouTube that have filter teardown videos and discuss the differences, pros, and cons of each brand. The important thing is to use ones with silicone antidrainback valves (silicone lasts longer, and the valve helps prevent drystarts), a decent bypass mechanism (helps prevent oil starvation in a worst-case scenario), and a filter media that, uh... filters (this is pretty much all of them). Unless you're doing long OCIs, pretty much ANY filter is going to do the job so long as it fits on there.

"Racing" filters will usually allow for more oil flow at the expense of filtering extra-small contaminants, and premium filters will usually cram more filter element material in there (more pleats = more surface area).

The only filters that I think suck and should be avoided are FRAM Extra Guard, since they have a basically non-functional bypass spring and cardboard caps on the ends of the filter element. The higher-tier FRAM filters are fine.

I also stick with Motorcraft filters. Cheap, fits, does the job just fine.
It is mainly the base, orange Fram Extra Guard filters that are to be avoided at all costs (the proverbial "orange can of death"), since yes, as stated above, the Fram ULTRA is a GREAT filter, on par with the Mobil One and Amsoil EaO, as well as other long drain, 'premium' oil filters.
Their Tough Guard is also a decent filter as well.

I change them out so often/low mileage that yes, I might just go back to the good old, <$4.00, FL-400S standby as well in the future (using the Amsoil EaO right now).

One cannot go wrong with any of the Wix/NAPA Gold filters, or any others on that level of quality/filtration either. ;)
Exactly, only the orange Fram sucks, Tough Guard and Ultra are both very good, I remember seeing tear downs of them back in the day... Anyway, for some reason, unlike their oil or recommended 10k OCI (WTH?), I tend to think that sticking with OEM for the oil filter is the best way to go especially when they are so cheap, have the anti-drainback silicone valve to prevent dry starts and the same rated (97% down to 20 microns I think) of the more expensive ones... Also, can anyone think of ANY downside to running the FL400S larger one over the FL910s smaller one? The larger one literally fits just as easily, holds more contaminants and actually helps lower temps a little since the cooling is just THAT marginal on our cars...

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
We need to rename this thread.....BITOG rules all!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I will not put a frame on anything for the principle that they make such a sorry ass piece of crap junk filter. I don't care if the more expensive ones are fine the fact that they put there name on a piece of crap is enough for me not to support them as a brand.
I like Motorcraft just fine great filter for the price.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Uhhhhh it's bigger and costs like $1.50 more usually. [8]

So, no, I can't. It's even rated to filter MORE particulates are LOWER microns, IIRC.
Tuh, I've found it cheaper or the same over the smaller one actually, like I said $3.97 at Walmart, so cool! :)

I seriously wonder why Ford didn't just call for the bigger one then, it's all positives that we can see...

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I highly recommend that you stop into your local Autozone as they have DEEP oil discounts on Oil that is receiving a new label or being not carried anymore. I got a case of 0w20 magnatec and mobile 1 e.p. for $2.00 a Qt! Just check back periodically for cheap oil it's what I do.
They usually sell it to good customers and keep in in the back in the ones I go to. The one my son uses for his business gives him first shot where he is. He has a wall lined with oils. Never seem to have anything I use.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
ABSOLUTELY! [thumb]

But then you have the OCD insanos like myself who change even their 'boutique' oils (and expensive filters) every 3500 to 4000 miles, regardless of that practice being labeled abjectly 'wasteful' by many. [wink]
I average 3500 between changes, I can afford it so why not? I have always used Motorcraft/Kendall full syn after break in. Also the FL-400S. All of my other 23 cars used Dino and never had a lubrication engine failure and one (BMW 320 iS) went over 300k with the only sign of oil burning was a white puff at start-up if I had not driven it is a week or so. Very slight valve stem wear. No mater what the "quality" of the oil I think "frequency" is more important.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
According to a Torco engineer anything over 1300 ppm zinc is detrimental. Teflon additives are useless as the Teflon has to reach 800f to get it to stick to anything to reduce friction.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
According to a Torco engineer anything over 1300 ppm zinc is detrimental. Teflon additives are useless as the Teflon has to reach 800f to get it to stick to anything to reduce friction.
I always thought that they were one of the companies which loaded up their pure RACING, single weight oils (as well as their racing multi-weight SR5 oils) with astronomical ZDDP levels. [dunno]

(I know that they are big proponents of very high 'dimer' type molybdenum compound levels in their oils and additives, as an anti-wear/anti-friction function additive.)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
$10 rebate on Pennzoil Full Synthetic oils going on right now.
And their Ultra Platinum is an excellent DEXOS Gen 2 oil for our DI engines... But to me Quaker State Ultimate Durability is only $20 at Walmart and is the better value as it's not only Gen 2 but also the new very strict SN Plus for DI engines and doesn't need a rebate.. But if you can get that Pennzoil for like $15 after online rebate, no stamp needed, Ultra Platinum is a great choice!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
And their Ultra Platinum is an excellent DEXOS Gen 2 oil for our DI engines... But to me Quaker State Ultimate Durability is only $20 at Walmart and is the better value as it's not only Gen 2 but also the new very strict SN Plus for DI engines and doesn't need a rebate.. But if you can get that Pennzoil for like $15 after online rebate, no stamp needed, Ultra Platinum is a great choice!
I got pennzoil platinum 5w20 for $.77 for a 5 qt jug at Autozone due to a bottle style and label change. I bought them all out.....6 Jugs.

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Just thought I'd share this... there is a number of ways to test motor oil, but THIS wear prevention test is pretty damn good, this is the famous "long oil test blog" and I found that Quaker State Ultimate Durability is right up there with the very best and is only $20 at Walmart... That along with a $4 Motorcraft FL-400S filter makes for a high quality oil change for $24!

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I'll stick to what the National Institute of Standard and Testing (NIST.gov) tested and found. Titanium is the best anti-wear additive in multiple types of wear tests done at the national labs......not a blog that spends more verbiage trying to make himself look smart. But, he also does not do all the wear tests that NIST does, he does what test he seems to think is best. His test results do not match the NIST lab tests doing multiple types of wear testing. Not even close, it could be he does not have the equipment/knowledge to do any other tests NIST does. Since these NIST tests, Castrol and Mobil One have joined the Titanium crowd with Kendall/Motorcraft. Until the NIST labs find a better oil I will stick with the original, Kendall GT1/Motorcraft full syn. You will never see an oil company ad comparing their wear tests of non-titanium oil to a titanium oil. What do think the reason is? Why do you think Ford specs this for it's performance cars? Except the GT, since Castrol is a race sponsor they are delivered with Castrol rather than the Kendall. Good enough for the designers of our engine and the National labs is all I need to determine what goes in my car. Got an oil change today before hitting the road for Thanksgiving. Kendall GT 1 is $60/12 Qts delivered to your door. $5 a Qt is cheap insurance. With your own oil and filter our local Goodyear Tire store does an oil change and rotates the tires, sets the pressure in each tire, and a much more comprehensive checkout of the car......my bill was $24 and change. BTW, did you guys know Goodyear fixes flats......free. Had a nail recently, they pulled tire and did an old fashioned internal hot patch....free as usual, I tip the Tech always! They have done many flats for our family. [wrenchin]

Most Goodyears are franchises.......my store is great, others may not be. In 25 years we have never had to take a car back after repairs and if you make an appointment for oil changes they take only 30 minutes in general. On my cars they have never scratched a mag and does not hammer down the lug nuts!

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
s testing does not agree with our National labs testing......that's enough for me. And he spends more time puffing himself up and putting people down that do not agree with him. I would like to see him doing actuals tests than strutting and talking about them. At the NIST site you can find actual photos of the wear in the tests and at Kendall electron microphotograph of the titanium deposited in the iron crevasse which is what reduces wear and friction. When I see pictures proving a test I tend to believe it more than words. The "best" oil will always be based on personal experiences and how much time you are willing to spend to research data and ignore ads! There are no "bad" top tier oils, but some are better than others.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Went to Autozone today got 5w20 Mobil extended peformance/annual protecion oil ....$10 for a 5 qt jug....clearance! Bought them out....5 jugs and all!

Last edited:
Went to Autozone today got 5w20 Mobil extended peformance/annual protecion oil ....$10 for a 5 qt jug....clearence! Bought them out....5 jugs and all!

Nice find! That would last me YEARS! I do about an oil change once a year, it seems. [driving]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Nice find! That would last me YEARS! I do about an oil change once a year, it seems. [driving]
My second garage at my house looks like an OIL test laboratory I have so much oil...its nuts! If I was you Id roll thru the local AZ to see if its on clearance there....it would be worth it! If it is buy that shit up dawg! [raceflag]

Ford Community Posts