Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Which mods, in what order?

Here's a question I hope will be useful to those of us uncertain of the relative benefit of different modifications to improve performance and ST driving pleasure [biggrin]

Of all the possible mods, which should be done first? I'm guessing that some need another mod to be done at the same time to get the best gains (or to prevent something else breaking under the strain - like the bank balance or a close relationship!!)?

Let's have your advice....

MPA

My first 2 mods were an Accessport and a Cobb RMM. The tune wakes the car up nicely.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Get an Accessport and FMIC with a custom tune. Profit. Then get a bigger turbo.

Here's a question I hope will be useful to those of us uncertain of the relative benefit of different modifications to improve performance and ST driving pleasure [biggrin]

Of all the possible mods, which should be done first? I'm guessing that some need another mod to be done at the same time to get the best gains (or to prevent something else breaking under the strain - like the bank balance or a close relationship!!)?

Let's have your advice....
Your first mod should be learning to use the "Search" function on the forum.

Figure out your ultimate goals first... If a bigger turbo is in your future you can't go wrong with the accessport and DHM' bigger race intercooler imo... Great start on that platform and would give a nice boost by themselves to keep you satisfied for a while.

C. love

I did these in this order: FMIC, Intake, Tune and now exhaust and maybe a down pipe here shortly, then its done. Keeps me happy and the DD peppy and reliable. If you want to make your daily semi to very unreliable keep pushing the envelope to the aftermarket turbo, cams, etc etc realm, if its not your daily go ape shit. :)

I started with an Oil Catch Can to help keep the intake clean and a valve cover breather. I added an Accessport and a Mountune IC is on the way to keep the warranty intact. I was thinking about using the stock RMM with Powerflex bushings.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I started with an Oil Catch Can to help keep the intake clean and a valve cover breather. I added an Accessport and a Mountune IC is on the way to keep the warranty intact. I was thinking about using the stock RMM with Powerflex bushings.
Hopefully you're talking about the MP215 because the $500 AP3 from Mountune does not keep your warranty. The only way to preserve warranty with Mountune is through the MP215 or the $900 MTune that's only available to owners that already purchased the Mountune intake. Also, they must be installed by Ford or an ASE-certified technician.

Hopefully you're talking about the MP215 because the $500 AP3 from Mountune does not keep your warranty.
My thinking on the Cobb Acessport was that it could be uninstalled from the car unless Ford has a way to detect it has been reflashed back to stock. I was also wondering if the Cobb had a Mountune flash if that might keep the warranty. I am going to uninstall the Cobb when I take it to Ford for IC upgrade and ask if that is a possibility. Mountune sells the Cobb unit with the Mountune flash and I don't see how it would make any difference. I am really not interested in their intake or paying the $400 extra for their controller.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Ford can tell if a car has been flashed back to stock. The difference between the MTune and every other AP3 is that the MTune has a Ford-approved calibration and is locked to the car it's installed on forever. No custom-map availability, no testing it on your friends car, no selling the device when you trade your car in. But, no warranty concerns for the first 36k on the car.

Note: If you install the device at 34k, for example, your warranty is only good for 2k more.

Ford can tell if a car has been flashed back to stock.
Wish the Cobb web site noted that. Here is their response:

Hello,

When the Accessport is properly uninstalled using the Uninstall option from the main menu, the ECU is reverted exactly back to stock. In our experience, the dealership is not able to tell if the ECU has been flashed. However, with that said, the AP is not designed to go around any kind of warranty coverage and there may be diagnostics at a much higher level we are unaware of. At the end of the day, it really comes down to how your local dealer handles modifications to the car: some don't mind a few mods and others don't like any.

Kyle@COBB

I did this backasswards. I ordered the AP after 2 weeks of having the car. I then ordered the Cobb Cat back shortly after that, Because I missed having noise. Then went and got the Catless downpipe and Intake. Still need an Intercooler, that will be coming shortly at the beginning of the new year.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I did this backasswards. I ordered the AP after 2 weeks of having the car. I then ordered the Cobb Cat back shortly after that, Because I missed having noise. Then went and got the Catless downpipe and Intake. Still need an Intercooler, that will be coming shortly at the beginning of the new year.
I don't think it's backasswards. The most important thing is to get the AP first, makes the biggest difference. Intercooler, rear motor mount, downpipe should be next. Intake, catback, other stuff last.

I did my car the same way you did. Got a used AP, and downpipe on the forum. Downpipe sat until my catback came in, did them both in one shot. Got a used intake on the forum. Intercooler came last because deadhook was busy trying to make 400hp at the time instead of filling orders.... No comment.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Wish the Cobb web site noted that. Here is their response:

Hello,

When the Accessport is properly uninstalled using the Uninstall option from the main menu, the ECU is reverted exactly back to stock. In our experience, the dealership is not able to tell if the ECU has been flashed. However, with that said, the AP is not designed to go around any kind of warranty coverage and there may be diagnostics at a much higher level we are unaware of. At the end of the day, it really comes down to how your local dealer handles modifications to the car: some don't mind a few mods and others don't like any.

Kyle@COBB
Yes, but that response was from a year ago. I think that since then there was a bulletin released over on the FoST forums outlining the procedure that mechanics should take if they suspect a tune may be the cause of warranty work. Iirc, it basically involves pulling the ECU and sending it to Ford in Dearborn.

Either way, modifications should always be under the assumption to void warranty of the applicable system unless explicitly stating otherwise.