Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Phone placement, mount.. what do you do/use?

Mine is attached to the USB port in the centre console with a USB to lighting cord that is 2” long. I fricken love apple car play.

Sent from my iPhone using Glue and macaroni

Woods247

2000 Post Club
ProClip and Arkon. The RAM holder is better than Arkon and also mounts to the ProClip. I just haven’t switched yet.

It needs to be plugged in and put somewhere. Center console is full, so the other choice is a cup holder, out car mount.
I just put the phone in the little area that has the sync logo behind the the stick shift. Stays there pretty good with the cord hanging out over the passenger leg area.
Or the cup holder. Lol
I don't like any of these places because it puts strain on the cable/connection, and the phone can come out on corners/bumps. Because of this, and the lack of places to put a suction cup where it's out of the way, I made my own place to mount it out of plexi glass and sign holders:
Mount1.jpg Mount2.jpg Mount3.jpg

Attached it to the tunnel cover, ran the cable under the tunnel. I made it "pretty" since passengers will likely not want to have my phone mount all up in their space. I do most of my driving alone, so it won't bother me most of the time.

zanethan

I don't like any of these places because it puts strain on the cable/connection, and the phone can come out on corners/bumps. Because of this, and the lack of places to put a suction cup where it's out of the way, I made my own place to mount it out of plexi glass and sign holders:
View attachment 18062 View attachment 18061 View attachment 18060

Attached it to the tunnel cover, ran the cable under the tunnel. I made it "pretty" since passengers will likely not want to have my phone mount all up in their space. I do most of my driving alone, so it won't bother me most of the time.
That's pretty slick man. Good work.

I really like this idea, going to copy your methods!
Over time, the adhesive on these failed. I cut up the double backed tape from a GoPro mount and replaced the tape. That has held tight.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I don't like any of these places because it puts strain on the cable/connection, and the phone can come out on corners/bumps.
I live 2 miles down a rutted dirt road and have had no issues of the phone coming off the magnetic mount.

Over time, the adhesive on these failed. I cut up the double backed tape from a GoPro mount and replaced the tape. That has held tight.

Thanks, like others, I have tried the vent mount, then the scosh mount near the airbag light and realized, "WTF am I doing? I have no need for my phone to be mounted where I can see it." I have been placing it in the cup holder. Tried the passenger seat which ends in epic failure after a fun corner. Stuck it in glove box and center arm rest cubby and get inside and realize I left my goddam phone in my car again...for the 4th time today!!! I think your spot will be much better and easier to remember to grab.

I was thinking about drilling a small hole in the center console and a small hole with rubber grommet to the Sync area and have the cable come out there for my iPhone. But, still need a place for the phone, as it will slosh around. Maybe a magnet mount there. Hate there’s no phone spot. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking about drilling a small hole in the center console and a small hole with rubber grommet to the Sync area and have the cable come out there for my iPhone. But, still need a place for the phone, as it will slosh around. Maybe a magnet mount there. Hate there’s no phone spot. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There should be a slot under the latch where the cable can come through.

Made my own phone holder that sits between the seat and center console out of an empty Nature Valley Bar box. Functions as required and keeps the phone from rattling against the cup holders or sliding around it. Also room for a passenger's phone should they need one as well!

IMG_20180529_212643 copy.jpg
IMG_20190212_172428 copy.jpg

Dpro

6000 Post Club
There should be a slot under the latch where the cable can come through.

Made my own phone holder that sits between the seat and center console out of an empty Nature Valley Bar box. Functions as required and keeps the phone from rattling against the cup holders or sliding around it. Also room for a passenger's phone should they need one as well!

View attachment 19755
View attachment 19754
Dare I say Ghetto Fab! Lol you cannot expect to post something like this and not elicit comments.[deviltail]

cxwrench

Arkon seat mount. Their suction cup mounts are the best, have them for the AP and my V1. I used a couple of Garmin mounts w/ 3M double side tape and small zip ties to hold the stalk.

Dare I say Ghetto Fab! Lol you cannot expect to post something like this and not elicit comments.[deviltail]
I'll take ownership of the ghetto fab- did the best I could with what little I had on hand! It was only meant as a temporary stopgap [bawling]

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The ball-mount here can be attached to a phone cradle...
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...bought-the-nav?p=217473&viewfull=1#post217473
<<
I have a 2016 with Nav. To date, I've not seen any updates to the maps portion of Sync3 and I'm still on v2.2. While I appreciate the update and Apple CarPlay, it pisses me off that Nav is such an expensive option, yet we have no avenue to receive updated maps. Mine says map version is from 2014. Literally half of the area I love in now was built after 2014, which is frustrating.

The Garmin I bought not only accepts voice commands but has regular map updates.
I have it mounted in front of the shifter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009AYLYWA/
Two minutes to put it on.
That came with it's own quality black double-sided tape.
There are other mounting options for that part, such as screws, but with a little rubbing alcohol (90%) to clean the surfaces, double-sided tape has held over the life of a few devices (about eight years) and really had to work to get the old mounting plate out of the old vehicle. This might hold up similarly but if not, will simply use the same tape I had before.

Glad I didn't spend $800 on the nav option.

Photos of the mount...
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AhsZJDCN8kMMi1C-MP4bTL8rGY_r
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AhsZJDCN8kMMi1G-MP4bTL8rGY_r

You can still reach behind it and access the buttons for traction control, heated seats, accent lighting, etc. The GPS is on it's OEM cradle and can be snapped off as normal.

The Garmin is also, surprisingly good at voice interpretation. It manages to pickup many street names that a phone won't because it has a very specific choice of names/vocabulary to interpret from. Apps on phones rely on the phone's built-in voice to text translation which by nature, has to be more generic. Therefore phones regularly mangle street names on voice to text translation.

If you have Shaq-knuckles or a forward-grasp of the shift knob, you may have to adjust your grip to keep from accidently touching the display.>>

Note that a phone will be constantly re-removed so double-sided tape alone is *NOT* an option here. The tape I used for the Garmin, (removed roughly weekly,) eventually did fail. The failed tape still on, applied just a tiny dab of cyanoacrylate glue on the console side, liberal amount on the mount side and reattached. Seems solid. The tape insures that it is at least, removable. Otherwise it would be permanent.

This is obviously not for people that like to stare at screens. There may be readability issues with smaller phones as well. The (sadly discontinued) Nokia Windows 10 Mobile Phone itself, offers to read back text messages, as well as offer voice-to-text replies via Sync.

I use popsockets and the car mount. I notched the USB in the center console, and ran it to the front pocket. I hate wires flopping around.

image000001.jpg
image000004.jpg
image000000.jpg

[MENTION=11166]STeezy[/MENTION] - [twothumb]
Yeah lol. If you do the same, notch the USB in the back right not the front left. I had to shave a little off the actual console to run the wire.

Also, here's my bass knob.

I need my phone in view for when I use it for navigation. Since I hate attaching things to the windshield, I use the tiny window since...it obviously has no other use.
If/when I get a Cobb Accessport I’ll figure something else out. But until then: $12 well spent.
3B68FABC-5099-480A-88C2-B384B334156F.jpeg 4B99FF1D-F803-4AB4-A36F-E64B8017BEEA.jpeg

Curious as to what other members are doing with their phones.

I run the power/sync cable out the groove from the armrest and usually just put it on the passenger seat because I don't want it marring the cupholder or little pocket infront of the cupholders, but I'm wanting to find a better place for it, probably a mount somewhere. If you use a mount, which one and how do you like it?

My concern is for cleanliness, I want the power/sync cable (iphone 6+) to be as hidden as possible which may make windshield mounting an issue.

I'd love to hear from others what your phone solutions are, and pictures are always a plus!
I use a Rubbermaid Seat Gap Organizer. $13 on Amazon. It holds the phone great and keeps the phone and cord out of the way. Rubbermaid 3354-00 Automotive Wedge Organizer: Center Console/Seat Gap Car Storage Caddy.

Attachments