Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Big Turbo Results Thread

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
Interesting, several of my FoST friends use it on their Stage 3 cars so I figured it would do just fine.

Seeing your Dyno results is interesting! It makes me question whether or not I should go for 2560 or 2554. :)
I will post some more recent v dynos later I'm at the 305ish whp mark now. Robs cars and mine are very similar I am honestly semi jealous of his torque curve with the 2554, but then I remember how much top end power I have.
I cannot vouch for any other intercooler than DHM. I have the factor fitment one, and holy shit is there a huge difference in size over the factory. It is an amazing intercooler for sure. I do not have a big turbo yet, but I have hopes to go early this year. But well see how things go. But if you were to go with any intercooler, I am just saying DHM factory fitment is the way to go 100%
It's not the size of the intercooler that is the problem. The j-line has a bigger core then the dhm factory fitment. But it does not flow as well and is a bar and plate design. The j-line kept up perfect with the stock turbo. It's just with the 2560 holding 23psi to redline it taps out

I will post some more recent v dynos later I'm at the 305ish whp mark now. Robs cars and mine are very similar I am honestly semi jealous of his torque curve with the 2554, but then I remember how much top end power I have.

It's not the size of the intercooler that is the problem. The j-line has a bigger core then the dhm factory fitment. But it does not flow as well and is a bar and plate design. The j-line kept up perfect with the stock turbo. It's just with the 2560 holding 23psi to redline it taps out
Everything but the Mountune (Which is tube and fin) offering is a bar and plate design, isn't it? The Mountune FMIC does not perform very well from what I have seen as compared to many less expensive and more durable bar and plate design such as DHM, CP-e, or even Cobb.

The j-line flows poorly because it's a very inexpensive universal fit intercooler. You get what you pay for. It flows the worst and offers adequate cooling over stock, mostly by virtue of surface area; not actual design.

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
Everything but the Mountune (Which is tube and fin) offering is a bar and plate design, isn't it? The Mountune FMIC does not perform very well from what I have seen as compared to many less expensive and more durable bar and plate design such as DHM, CP-e, or even Cobb.

The j-line flows poorly because it's a very inexpensive universal fit intercooler. You get what you pay for. It flows the worst and offers adequate cooling over stock, mostly by virtue of surface area; not actual design.
What he said. I knew the j-line was a cheap intercooler from day 1. I will upgrade and make more power soon.

twolf

Isn't it a little sketchy to tune it so close to the limit? Extra stress on the fueling system = earlier death? I'm not trying to be accusatory, legitimate question. I might be going 2554r if the 2560 puts you so close to the limit. Sacrifice some top end for a little quicker spool?

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
Isn't it a little sketchy to tune it so close to the limit? Extra stress on the fueling system = earlier death? I'm not trying to be accusatory, legitimate question. I might be going 2554r if the 2560 puts you so close to the limit. Sacrifice some top end for a little quicker spool?
This particular tune was so I could out run a friend's 2013 5.0. My safe tune with about .6 less boost does not got lean and makes about 280ish whp. My car isnt really laggier then [MENTION=2687]RobK[/MENTION] 's set up.
This is just my hail Mary tune. I will be buying an auxiliary fuel system along with a custom tubular header and a new downpipe to eliminate the atp turbo to stock style belmouth adapter. If I were to do it again from square 1. I would go [MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION] but, I decided to go this route which will be cheaper in the end but much more footwork and networking. (Which I semi enjoy)

twolf

This particular tune was so I could out run a friend's 2013 5.0. My safe tune with about .6 less boost does not got lean and makes about 280ish whp. My car isnt really laggier then [MENTION=2687]RobK[/MENTION] 's set up.
This is just my hail Mary tune. I will be buying an auxiliary fuel system along with a custom tubular header and a new downpipe to eliminate the atp turbo to stock style belmouth adapter. If I were to do it again from square 1. I would go DHM but, I decided to go this route which will be cheaper in the end but much more footwork and networking. (Which I semi enjoy)
Thanks for the solid answer. I wish someone in GA had a 2560/2554 for me to ride in. Thanks again!

From what I have seen it appears everything happens 500 rpm sooner with the 2554 and that is what ATP told us as well. I am still running pretty conservative afr's (11.6-11.7) thru the entire range.

We never really tried to max out this tune as I would like to stay on the safer side and not worry. I would still do the 2554 if I were to do it again because I use the midrange torque more often than having the extra top-end power above 6k rpm.

Rob.

Ok Here is an actual dyno. It is so close to a vdyno I feel comfortable just going off vdyno numbers in the future.
On #2 it pulled 336whp and 2 days earlier it pulled 337 whp on the vdyno (and on the dyno I was running 40-50 degree hotter charge temps so the vdyno might be understated if anything). My mistake for not telling him to start earlier, the power curve starts later because he didn't start till after 3500 rpm.

I would like to point out how good my massive DHM garrett FMIC was doing, it ran 4 fourth gear pulls back to back with intake temps in the 70-80 range and the charge temps peaked at 91, with no fans going only a bay door open.

So with this and the vydno's proving to be pretty accurate this 2560r seems to clocking in 335-350whp on e-30.

IMG_2179.jpg

vdyno two days prior

comp.jpg

twolf

When does it really start to pull? I saw some guy on reddit whose 2554 wasn't spooling till 4k... Seems kinda high to me? It's hard to imagine it without actually driving a BT car, I guess.

Stock manifold?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I will finally have the EFR off the car and the manifold and parts sent to Russ to convert to the GT2560R, high flow cat, real cold air intake I built, DHM race IC, 91 octane and then WMI tune and see what we can get out of it, likely pretty similar but if not quite enough I can always up the meth content in the WMI tank but should be fine as is.

Look at the torque curve on wspec Vdyno, pretty amazing as not much lag to be concerned with if you need a bit more power and my aim was 320WHP minimum for track use keeping up with certain cars on the longer straights. I was going to run the GTX until his results were so great on the 2560R, glad I waited several months after paying for the turbo swap to the GTX and the billet wheel GT will do all I need and better for the street and canyon runs.

------------

Edit, It seems I wrote most of this before, I will take a look and amend this post if needed.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
When does it really start to pull? I saw some guy on reddit whose 2554 wasn't spooling till 4k... Seems kinda high to me? It's hard to imagine it without actually driving a BT car, I guess.

Stock manifold?
If you look at the vDyno, he's at ~20psi at 3500rpm. Starting to spool at 4krpm is super laggy, especially with a smaller turbo. It comes down to a few things - the install, the parts, and the tuner. As for [MENTION=1568]wspec[/MENTION] car I'd say he starts to feel the pull at ~2.8krpm. By comparison, with my 2867r the fun starts around 3k and is @20psi by 3800 and usually I'm rocking full spool (28-29psi) by 4krpm. DHM is SUPREME.

Viva la [MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION].

Anyway, datalogs can tell you what it's like without actually experiencing it. What I mean is this: I took a look at my stock turbo, Cyborg and 2867r datalogs to look for a difference in elapsed time between given speeds. This was a while ago, and I don't have the data available at this moment so I can't be 100% accurate, but there was really only tenths of a difference in speeds from about 20mph up to 50mph or so. The difference being that the big turbo was slower...by tenths. I went up against another member at the track who is tuned on E40 and that 1/4-mile slip (that's in the 1/4 times thread) corroborates that data.

That brings me back to what I first said. Spooling a big turbo is going to depend on a few things - the parts, the install, and the tuner. It'll spool fast with the right parts and the right tuner, as long as it's installed right...barring other issues.

Edit- My last datalog I saw 20psi @ 3213rpm and 29psi @ 3490rpm. It's turbo weather here in Illinois.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Ok Here is an actual dyno. It is so close to a vdyno I feel comfortable just going off vdyno numbers in the future.
On #2 it pulled 336whp and 2 days earlier it pulled 337 whp on the vdyno (and on the dyno I was running 40-50 degree hotter charge temps so the vdyno might be understated if anything). My mistake for not telling him to start earlier, the power curve starts later because he didn't start till after 3500 rpm.

I would like to point out how good my massive DHM garrett FMIC was doing, it ran 4 fourth gear pulls back to back with intake temps in the 70-80 range and the charge temps peaked at 91, with no fans going only a bay door open.

So with this and the vydno's proving to be pretty accurate this 2560r seems to clocking in 335-350whp on e-30.

View attachment 8425

vdyno two days prior

View attachment 8426
Wow...Very nice wspec!

I think these are the most well behaved response / power curves I've seen to date and appears as if the 2560r is indeed a perfect match for the FiST...At least for what I'm personally looking for in a turbo kit upgrade...

Thanks again for posting!

Well getting spool to happen sooner is all good but I think that its not real helpful to think of full spool on one turbo vs another turbo of a different size.
It 'feels' like it starts pulling around 2600-2700, now at 3k in 4th even though I am running only like 16psi vs a stock turbo on say 21psi. Even though it has 'full spool' but I am making more power and flowing more air, it just comes on more linear so it seems less dramatic than the surge of the stock unit.

Weather and location dictates so much here but I can get 20psi by 3200rpm and 26 @ 4k, 29@ 4.5k. (thats in 4th, higher gears I will get 20psi by 3k).
Versus like [MENTION=759]Hijinx[/MENTION], mine will start going sooner and be stronger until the lower 20psi I believe but he will hit his max psi sooner because I have a more restrictive exhaust housing which doesn't flow so well at that level (price you pay for the spool and throttle response).

My car will only see tracks that are not in a straight line, so its the right trade off for me. And I am sure his is size right for his application, if I was dragging I would go bigger than the 2560r too.
You have to pick your goals and work backward from there.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
My power goal is slightly higher than the car needs for my use except I have a target HP to weight ratio and looking at aero drag and frontal area combined to keep up with a few certain cars and pass many others on the longer straights on a road course. That while having the least lag possible.

A very well sorted 2554 done right would provide a bit more bottom end but not likely the HP up top I want to have so the 2560 with the billet compressor wheel is the way to ensure I get numbers at least close to wspec with a nearly identical setup.

93 Octane nor E85 around where I live or travel the most so getting WMI will help fix that if not completely so running 91 Octane fuel.

I

twolf

If you look at the vDyno, he's at ~20psi at 3500rpm. Starting to spool at 4krpm is super laggy, especially with a smaller turbo. It comes down to a few things - the install, the parts, and the tuner. As for [MENTION=1568]wspec[/MENTION] car I'd say he starts to feel the pull at ~2.8krpm. By comparison, with my 2867r the fun starts around 3k and is @20psi by 3800 and usually I'm rocking full spool (28-29psi) by 4krpm. DHM is SUPREME.

Viva la [MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION].

Anyway, datalogs can tell you what it's like without actually experiencing it. What I mean is this: I took a look at my stock turbo, Cyborg and 2867r datalogs to look for a difference in elapsed time between given speeds. This was a while ago, and I don't have the data available at this moment so I can't be 100% accurate, but there was really only tenths of a difference in speeds from about 20mph up to 50mph or so. The difference being that the big turbo was slower...by tenths. I went up against another member at the track who is tuned on E40 and that 1/4-mile slip (that's in the 1/4 times thread) corroborates that data.

That brings me back to what I first said. Spooling a big turbo is going to depend on a few things - the parts, the install, and the tuner. It'll spool fast with the right parts and the right tuner, as long as it's installed right...barring other issues.

Edit- My last datalog I saw 20psi @ 3213rpm and 29psi @ 3490rpm. It's turbo weather here in Illinois.
Thanks [MENTION=759]Hijinx[/MENTION]
I'm gonna go dig up that time slip, but I think I've seen it before.
[MENTION=1568]wspec[/MENTION] are you running a tubular manifold?

Am I right in thinking the only thing that affects spool (outside of the turbo itself) is the manifold? Does an EWG help?

Thanks [MENTION=759]Hijinx[/MENTION]
I'm gonna go dig up that time slip, but I think I've seen it before.
[MENTION=1568]wspec[/MENTION] are you running a tubular manifold?

Am I right in thinking the only thing that affects spool (outside of the turbo itself) is the manifold? Does an EWG help?
Yes I have the same header has Hijinx, I am running the DHM quick spool kit with a billet compressor wheel.

Proper tuning helps spool a lot obviously. EWG does help as well, my spool is way better than it used to be and mostly what changed was the header and switching to an external wastegate setup. Between the two it helps a lot but can not say which did how much exactly. Sourskittles cyborg turbo's are going to be the best apple to apples comparison you will get on the external waste improvement for this car because he makes both versions all else being equal. But those are different turbo's and he is also not switching to a more optimized turbine housing, just blocking off the old path in the existing I believe.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #60
ATP Gt2860, ATP decat, ATP fmic, puma header, 91oct, 7000' elevation, Adam tuned in progress.
We need some updated meth numbers FYI !!
Yes.... I'm stalking you. Lol