Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Big Turbo Results Thread

TempeST

[MENTION=2054]Perfblue15[/MENTION] thanks for the explanation. I had thought for the most part it was the design of the DHM header, especially using the Vband clamps. but I was just curious for more knowledge. still learning and still researching. My car is a daily, I want to mod it further, but I haven't talked myself into it yet.having ~300whp would be fun though.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
The design of the hotside housing on the turbo on the atp kit is the problem. The way DHM sets up their kit basically routes the exhaust gasses much more efficiently and thus creates faster spool. The ewg does help spool some, but the overall kit design is why the dhm kit spools faster. The ATP kit is really not that well made and makes a lot of compromises. I have explored every option from custom headers and down pipes to going with [MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION]'s ported header with ewg. In the end [MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION] made the most sense to me, but I want a fast car that I can race every weekend and hurt feelings. A lot of people want different things from their cars. I just wanna go fast.
I just wannagofast. Damn, right.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #83
If anyone wants to try it...
Ported manifold is $175, ewg materials/labor/welding is $250 (edit: $200 since I wouldn't doing any work to your turbine housing like I would a stock turbo ) and order the ATP turbo without an internal gate turbine if you can.

Anyone that does it; if they mail me the atp adaptor, I'll port match it as well for free. Buy a $12 manifold gasket from me ( which is what I pay for them ) and I port match it for free too.

I did a really nice ported manifold for a customer with a GT2554, but it was internal gated.

$125 core charge also, but of course, that's refunded when I get your core back.

No doubt, the DHM is the best route. I admit, I'd like to see an external gated cyborg manifold with a gtx2860 or a GT2554 to see what kind of response can be had with Russ tuning it. But Russ is no longer doing E-tunes for other turbo kits, I don't think.

Sooner or later, we are going to see what a TD04HL-23T will spool like with an external WG, lol.

DHM1

1000 Post Club
So while looking at the big turbo options for the ATP guys. and putting together a way where wspec was saying that the external helped out his spool some. Would getting SourSkittle to take a stock manifold and do the EWG on it and then use an ATP turbo... can this be done? Genuinely curious. could this be an option for the ATP guys to help their spool a little or would this all just bee way too much work for what its worth? just looking into different options. and trying to think outside the box. IDK how much money you would save over going DHM if you save anything at all. lol
When i was tuning [MENTION=1568]wspec[/MENTION] 's car we swapped the puma speed manifold for the stock on and did back to back. The difference was so small not even repeatable. I can also tell you the main reason he went with the full kit and not just a external gate is because the external gate does not help with spool just power and boost control. When you brake it down our kit is very cost effective.

ATP kit ($2000) + BOV ($200) + Downpipe ($300) = poor performance (Slow spool / Low HP), multiple leak spots, hard to work on, everything has bolts that can lock up due to heat, Iron parts that can rust, Stock Manifold outlet is small and restrictive.

or

Garrett ball bearing turbo (Just like ATP kit), Vband exhaust housing, Tial BOV, Tial 38mm external wastegate, Stainless header, Stainless down pipe, Stainless wastegate dump, Charge pipe, ($3600) = unsurpassed performance, power and spool, Everything is vband and requires no bolts or gaskets, Stainless construction, parts designed and manufactured to work together not a mix of things fitted to each other, no restrictions or constraints in the design modular set up allowing for several upgrade options.

Both we sell often, Both come with DHM tuning services, and both we have more experience with than any other company in this market!

Russ

DHM1

1000 Post Club
If anyone wants to try it...
Ported manifold is $175, ewg materials/labor/welding is $250 (edit: $200 since I wouldn't doing any work to your turbine housing like I would a stock turbo ) and order the ATP turbo without an internal gate turbine if you can.

Anyone that does it; if they mail me the atp adaptor, I'll port match it as well for free. Buy a $12 manifold gasket from me ( which is what I pay for them ) and I port match it for free too.

I did a really nice ported manifold for a customer with a GT2554, but it was internal gated.

$125 core charge also, but of course, that's refunded when I get your core back.

No doubt, the DHM is the best route. I admit, I'd like to see an external gated cyborg manifold with a gtx2860 or a GT2554 to see what kind of response can be had with Russ tuning it. But Russ is no longer doing E-tunes for other turbo kits, I don't think.

Sooner or later, we are going to see what a TD04HL-23T will spool like with an external WG, lol.
We still tune any turbo kit when purchased from us!

Russ

No no no, I'm not doing this, most likely not going ATP way at all or trying to save money. I'm only curious to see if that's a possible answer for spool for the ATP guys. I'm not looking at doing it.

I was thinking that since wspec says the manifold and EWG option helped his spool. Granted not sure about how much each helped. If doing an EWG on the stock exhaust manifold would help spool the bigger turbos the ATP guys are using.
Just to clarify I never had a EWG only change to test the difference, when I went to EWG it was with the DHM kit which changed more than just that factor. Not sure if I ever alluded to the mis-information, but if I did it was a mistake.

twolf

We still tune any turbo kit when purchased from us!

Russ
If someone were to buy a gt290r kit from you, would you consider modifying a MBRP exhaust to use v-bands? I can't freaking stand the lap joints..... drive me up the wall.

TempeST

[MENTION=1568]wspec[/MENTION],

Clarification is understood. I know what you meant. and I know you meant it in a non direct comparison way. I was just eluding to the Stock manifold being modified for the ATP guys to help out performance at all. but from all the answers here it really seems as though it wouldn't really help at all, or if it would, not be worth the extra cost or trouble.
[MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION],

You know Im going to go for the GT290R kit when the time comes. and I appreciate the explanation. I guess I just went at the whole question wrong. I wasn't trying to cause confusion for anyone. but I'm still looking, into your kit, I just have a wedding to go to first, then I'll be ready. But really great job on the kits you sell. they are not only sexy but perform SOOOOOO well. keep up the great work.
[MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION]

Thats a good deal to give that a try on the stock manifold. I wonder how much a ported manifold could yield for an ATP kit, and how much better it would flow than the ATP IWG's. all interesting stuff. and as mentioned before. I am just doing a lot of research as I am very indecisive. lol. but Seeing these BT FiST's progress is just all around awesome. I can't wait to see what the future holds for this community. and interested in your little BT swap as well. should be interesting.

I am practically in ATPs back yard and I was very interested when they released their big turbo kits, then I looked at their dyno charts. Their torque curves were not terribly impressive and then it seemed like they never bothered to try tuning for spool.

I was left waiting to see if someone could do better. The first DHM kits were impressive in power but still lacking a bit below 4,000 rpm.

What Sour Skittle has done with the Cyborg is very impressive for the budget but then the DHM Quick Spool kit came out which is what I am waiting for. It has better spool than the ATP kits, better power and potential for 330-350whp with an ethanol mix like e40 if you get aux fuel to inject enough fuel. It also has the ability to swap out the turbo and get 400+ whp if you have enough fuel.

I chose an upgrade path with an upgrade path, it should make boost at a low enough rpm that I'm not waiting for lag all the time and it will make high rpm power that doesn't feel like its falling flat on its face.

With slicks, aux fuel and an ethanol mix I think it should be able to run mid to low 12s in the 1/4 mile which should keep me happy for quite a while.

I am practically in ATPs back yard and I was very interested when they released their big turbo kits, then I looked at their dyno charts. Their torque curves were not terribly impressive and then it seemed like they never bothered to try tuning for spool.

I was left waiting to see if someone could do better. The first DHM kits were impressive in power but still lacking a bit below 4,000 rpm.

What Sour Skittle has done with the Cyborg is very impressive for the budget but then the DHM Quick Spool kit came out which is what I am waiting for. It has better spool than the ATP kits, better power and potential for 330-350whp with an ethanol mix like e40 if you get aux fuel to inject enough fuel. It also has the ability to swap out the turbo and get 400+ whp if you have enough fuel.

I chose an upgrade path with an upgrade path, it should make boost at a low enough rpm that I'm not waiting for lag all the time and it will make high rpm power that doesn't feel like its falling flat on its face.

With slicks, aux fuel and an ethanol mix I think it should be able to run mid to low 12s in the 1/4 mile which should keep me happy for quite a while.
im only replying because of your genius freaking name and picture!! kung pow ftw

Sorry for the silly question but what's you guys with the big turbo mpg looking like? How about with the cyborg turbo? I ask because I wouldn't mine a little more power but this is my daily and I have an evolution for my play car so I'd like to still get good gas mileage.

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Sorry for the silly question but what's you guys with the big turbo mpg looking like? How about with the cyborg turbo? I ask because I wouldn't mine a little more power but this is my daily and I have an evolution for my play car so I'd like to still get good gas mileage.
I'll let my customer [MENTION=2886]FearTheSnail[/MENTION] tell you!

Russ

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have an EFR 6258 right now, soon will be a GT2560R, with myself, my wife, two big dogs and misc stuff in our lightened car we are at around 3100lbs loaded and in the Carson city area, 4200 ft, drive up and around Lake Tahoe on one trip, down south to look at some property on another, easy cruising, we get 38+ MPG. Early Jan my wife drove from SoCal to AZ following me in the RV so we stayed in the 60MPH range, she got 41.5MPG

Of course when using a bit more boost it goes down accordingly but still dang good mileage, usually above 30 and that is using quite a bit of boost actually:)

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I'm still seeing 25-26 mixed on e30. And I don't drive soft.

Honestly depends on what kind of driving it is. With the GTX450 kit from [MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION] on 91 octane, I could easily manage 37-39 MPG while traveling over 600 miles at around 65-70mph. There were a few mountain passes in that 600 miles and I wasn't afraid to put the gas pedal to the floor if I felt the need to go. Now that the car is on e30 my wife and I took a 800 mile trip last weekend and managed just shy of 31mpg while traveling 70mph with spots where we were going 85mph.

DHM1

1000 Post Club

Sekred

1000 Post Club
My first V-Dyno graph. Peron EFR 6258 kit plus tune. Torque Pro phone app. The road was not 100% flat with a very slight rise so I will be looking for a better location for future runs. Also for some reason my app did not log boost, grrr.
Fuel 98 RON
Boost 22.5 LBS
Charge temp 75.2 F
Timing advance varied between 3.5 to 9.5 degrees.

Attachments