Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Big Turbo Results Thread

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Yeah, probably. But we shall see. It's the only vband size for the EFR B1 Frame turbo. I have the .64 a/r t2 housing as well so if results are not pleasing I can change it over. But most likely going to go twin scroll if it's not where I want it with the Vband.
I'm curious. What kind of twin scroll? The peron kit? I've been interested in twin scroll forever, but nobody makes a proper manifold for it. That's is, unless if you want to buy a whole turbo kit

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Yeah, probably. But we shall see. It's the only vband size for the EFR B1 Frame turbo. I have the .64 a/r t2 housing as well so if results are not pleasing I can change it over. But most likely going to go twin scroll if it's not where I want it with the Vband.
I'm curious. What kind of twin scroll? The peron kit? I've been interested in twin scroll forever, but nobody makes a proper manifold for it. That's is, unless if you want to buy a whole turbo kit

TempeST

I would be making my own. I cannot find anyone that will make one for me. So I will most likely do it myself. And since my car will be running and going by that time I would have the time to measure everything out the right way just as I would need. And likely make them much shorter than the current manifolds out. I am a certified pipe welder in tig and stick welding. I just do not have my tig rig here with me in Hawaii. So will likely have to go home and bring it back with me. But it would all be worth it. The Peron kit looks nice and performs well, but I would want much shorter runners if at all possible. And if I do go with the twin scroll setup I would most likely sell the 6258 EFR and buy the 7163 EFR with the mixed flow gamma ti CHRA.

In a way I want to just do that anyway. But I got such a good deal on my setup I have I want to give it a try and see what happens.

TempeST

Here's a dyno run from last weekend.

Mods are in my sig. This is still on an incomplete tune as well.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
So seeing as you have had both. how does your thoughts of the GT290r compare to the ATP 2560 kit. your results look very similar if I must say so myself. I know that DHM is a MUCH better built kit. but I am talking about the results you have gotten. from your earlier ATP kit and this new DHM kit. the results don't seem to be very far off from each other. looks as if the DHM kit spools just a hair sooner than the ATP kit.

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
So seeing as you have had both. how does your thoughts of the GT290r compare to the ATP 2560 kit. your results look very similar if I must say so myself. I know that DHM is a MUCH better built kit. but I am talking about the results you have gotten. from your earlier ATP kit and this new DHM kit. the results don't seem to be very far off from each other. looks as if the DHM kit spools just a hair sooner than the ATP kit.
Honestly it spools about 500-700rpm earlier and makes about the same power. The DHM kit is much higher quality then the ATP kit but at the end of the day the spool/power difference isn't to much. Having it all said and done now. I'm not sure it was worth all the money spent and 2 turbo swaps.
Is the DHM worth the extra $1500+ over the atp kit that is completely for you to decide. I will say it is a bad ass kit and I understand why it costs what it does. I'm sure the larger turbo kits make much better power then the similar atp set ups.

That's just my $.02 I'm sure I'll get flamed for it.
At the end of the day I wish I would have gone X37 the first time around.

TempeST

Honestly it spools about 500rpm earlier and makes about the same power. The DHM kit is much higher quality then the ATP kit but at the end of the day the spool/power difference isn't much. Having it all said and done now. I'm not sure it was worth all the money spent and 2 turbo swaps.
Is the DHM worth the extra $1500+ over the atp kit that is completely for you to decide.

That's just my $.02 I'm sure I'll get flamed for it.
At the end of the day I wish I would have gone X37 the first time around.

Yup, that is what I thought. I completely understand where you are coming from. The quality of the DHM kit is MUCH better but like you were saying the power is similar and the power band starts sooner. so there is a lot of good to the kit. and I don't thik you will get flamed for it. Both your results of your Dyno's you have posted prove it, especially seeing as it is the same car just different kit. Now that the X37 has been proven to make that same power it is getting noticed.

I will say that with E30 the DHM kit will make more power than the X37 though. so if you were ever itching for more that could be an option. I do not want to mix fuels so I understand if you do not want that.

Good results regardless!! and Thanks for the honest input!

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
Yup, that is what I thought. I completely understand where you are coming from. The quality of the DHM kit is MUCH better but like you were saying the power is similar and the power band starts sooner. so there is a lot of good to the kit. and I don't thik you will get flamed for it. Both your results of your Dyno's you have posted prove it, especially seeing as it is the same car just different kit. Now that the X37 has been proven to make that same power it is getting noticed.

I will say that with E30 the DHM kit will make more power than the X37 though. so if you were ever itching for more that could be an option. I do not want to mix fuels so I understand if you do not want that.

Good results regardless!! and Thanks for the honest input!
Exactly. The DHM kit is no comparison to the ATP kit quality wise and is worth every dime IMHO. Drivability is better with the DHM kit as well. I'm going to try ethanol late this week hopefully and see if it makes a big difference in spool. I do have wmi so I should be able to theoretically max out the 2560.

TempeST

Exactly. The DHM kit is no comparison to the ATP kit quality wise and is worth every dime IMHO. Drivability is better with the DHM kit as well. I'm going to try ethanol late this week hopefully and see if it makes a big difference in spool. I do have wmi so I should be able to theoretically max out the 2560.

Good luck! I'm sure the E30 will max out the 2560r. and it will probably make you feel better about the 2560 over the X37.

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
Good luck! I'm sure the E30 will max out the 2560r. and it will probably make you feel better about the 2560 over the X37.
I hope it will. I really wanted 330+ whp when I decided to do the dhm conversion. With another 30-40hp this car will be mental.

TempeST

That's the power results I am looking for. I'll be using a 6258 to get there... hopefully. I agree it would mental to have this car in that range DD'ing it.

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
That's the power results I am looking for. I'll be using a 6258 to get there... hopefully. I agree it would mental to have this car in that range DD'ing it.
That would be awesome I am very interested in seeing your results with the efr. I've been interested in going Efr as well. Keep us posted.

TempeST

Will do, It's just in the waiting game stage now. Once I have a manifold I will be installing and moving forward. If this doesn't work out, I'll most likely just sell off everything I have and go X37 or S242. And start with the major suspension/wheels/tires/body stuff. It's been a long wait I'm getting antsy. haha

I would be making my own. I cannot find anyone that will make one for me. So I will most likely do it myself. And since my car will be running and going by that time I would have the time to measure everything out the right way just as I would need. And likely make them much shorter than the current manifolds out. I am a certified pipe welder in tig and stick welding. I just do not have my tig rig here with me in Hawaii. So will likely have to go home and bring it back with me. But it would all be worth it. The Peron kit looks nice and performs well, but I would want much shorter runners if at all possible. And if I do go with the twin scroll setup I would most likely sell the 6258 EFR and buy the 7163 EFR with the mixed flow gamma ti CHRA.

In a way I want to just do that anyway. But I got such a good deal on my setup I have I want to give it a try and see what happens.
What turbo would you be using for the twin scroll setup?

TempeST

I'd either use the 6258 I currently have, or step to the 7163 EFR as it is showing spool times that are on par with the 6258 in the twin scroll design. Twin scroll is going to be a little down the road for me though. I'm gonna need LSD wheels tires etc to hold the power down better before I go all out.

Yup, the 6258 is a great turbo. Too bad the twin scroll turbine is not internally gated. We've used it for years for our snowmobile setups with great success and reliability. Did you ever give the VF series a thought? A VF36 or VF53 with billet wheel would work well for the HP target you are aiming for.

TempeST

http://www.jegs.com/i/BorgWarner/156/11589880036/10002/-1

The 6258 EFR twin scroll, is in fact internally gated. :) which is why I was thinking of using it. I would only need to worry about the runners length, design, and diameter.

I have thought about them. But seeing as I already have the 6258 I could just swap turbine housings and mount it up!