Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Paint peeling/bubbling on doors and hatch

I wanted to give everybody a heads up on the paint issue i'm having. There seems to be iron contamination under the paint around the door skin seam on every door and the hatch. I should also mention my '13 mustang gt hood was repainted for the same problem. I'm taking the car to the dealership this coming tuesday. Car is a 2015 with 17k milles.
[/url]IMG_0331[1] by carl mcmahan, on Flickr[/IMG]

IMG_0332[1] by carl mcmahan, on Flickr

My 2014 already has slight bubbling on the inside door seams. It's pretty disappointing. Only thing to go is hose it down with oil/fluid film.

I've got isolated paint issues on mine as well. I'll be watching to see how yours is handled.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Just noticed my 17 that got new few months ago already has issues around lip on hatch. My 15 had it bad in the doors. Ford sucks at this.

Same here, my 16 with 23k has it on both front doors, one rear door and the hood and hatch. Honestly I love the car but this is the second Ford product that's done this and I'm considering just trading the car in instead of trying to go through the hassle of having Ford do a half-ass job trying to repair something that isn't even an issue on my 18 year old Honda.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Just noticed 3" long bubble on latch area of drivers door. Goes to bare metal like primer didn't exist.

My '14's drivers door, halfway down is now starting to chip away to the bare metal on the very edge and I'm noticing my rear driver's side is starting to do the same. The hatch edges are beginning to bubble too. The passenger doors don't seem to be an issue YET but that's probably due to those doors never opening/closing. Is FORD basically doing nothing and we're stuck sanding it down and re-applying paint ourselves or.....?

We had the same problem with our Escape on three doors and the hatch. Ford covered the respray, but the shop told us that if it happens again weā€™re sunk.

FB

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Dumping good paint on top of a bad spot does precisely nothing. Done correctly, all corrosion must be stripped away or cut out. Even having tiny, tiny pits that the eye can barely see, left will quickly lead back to the same condition.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Having the same problem on the rear of my 2017 hatch. Only 16k miles lol. I'll properly remove the rear hatch trim piece that houses the license plate lights and use the touch up paint on it. Maybe get some clear bra over it if it chip the touched up parts.

My door jambs are still mint though.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
[MENTION=8707]TDavis[/MENTION], does your hatch not have little strips of paint protection film between the trim piece and the hatch body? My 2018 came with them from the factory, which means that Ford was aware of the issue and that was their fix. I'm curious if 2018 models are the first year to implement this.
Nah. 2018 is the first year they started putting PPF on that area.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
My solution. Bought from pre-cut PPF from Ford. Its the pre-cut piece that gets applied onto the lower rear bumper right behind the rear wheel from factory. I then just measured and cut pieces off to my liking and applied them to the edge of the hatch where the trim 'touches' it and chips off paint.

Prior to all this I got Ford touch-up and out 5 coats of base coat and used 3 coats of clear/pearl. Came out pretty nice I think. Obviously if you look hard enough you'll be able to see if but any normal civilian will never notice it.