Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Not always. Technology and compounds differ so much brand to brand that it's impossible to compare across different brands. While my 140 TW Potenza's are decent, any modern 200 TW tire would kill it grip wise. 200 TW also gets thrown around a lot because it is the "standard" for many AutoX classes and tire manufactures are building some insane 200 TW tires to compete. The Rival S 1.5 and RE71R are the two best examples of this. Their 200 TW rating is very misleading when compared to other tires, since they provide maximum grip at the expense of tread life, even at the same TW level.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
It is NOT a 1:1 indicator of either a tire's 'stickiness', nor how long it will last, but generally it holds somewhat true (there are SO MANY variables which go into those two disparate traits, but the one seeming 'physics defier' tire is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport/4S, which sticks as well, or better than, as most 200 tread wear donuts, but wears like a 500 tread wear all season, but is BIG $$$$, and NOT available in sizes we can use [mad]).

To make it even MORE confusing, the manufacturers are NOT required to test their tires against a DOT/NHSTA STANDARD test tire for the tread wear ratings (like they are for the "ABC" rated, braking/wet braking tests).
In most cases they just test against their OWN brand other tires in their lineup, or whatever they want. [???:)]

There are also 400+ tread wear tires which burn up much quicker than that rating would belie, and 200 tread wear rated stickies which shock their owners with how long they last. ;)

Add to that the few autocross super glue deals (like the RE71R) which are stamped 200 tread wear for rules meeting purposes ONLY, but grip more like an 80-100 tread wear rated road race type 'velcro stick' tire, and do not get 'greasy' even when very hot.
(NOT sure how they wear on the street, you would have to ask some of their owners/users on here.)
Not always. Technology and compounds differ so much brand to brand that it's impossible to compare across different brands. While my 140 TW Potenza's are decent, any modern 200 TW tire would kill it grip wise. 200 TW also gets thrown around a lot because it is the "standard" for many AutoX classes and tire manufactures are building some insane 200 TW tires to compete. The Rival S 1.5 and RE71R are the two best examples of this. Their 200 TW rating is very misleading when compared to other tires, since they provide maximum grip at the expense of tread life, even at the same TW level.
This is what I've figured, it's gonna vary... I've seen some cheap 240 TW that some say actually last 40k... I'm just exploring my options in 215 width, which of course there isn't a ton of choices. I also have sadly had to keep my budget low and need a year round all season, so considering Nexen N7000 among others...

Just a quick update. Mounted them tonight and took it for a drive, still on the 93 tune though as I didn't realize I had that much gas still in the tank to put any meaningful amount of E85 in. Fronts were set to 40 psi and rears at 38. All comparisons are to the factory wheels with half worn Potenza's. These Michelin A/S 3's have 8-9/32nd remaining. Ambient temp was about 80* and dry roads.

Less tread noise and ever so slightly smoother ride with the Michelin's. Turn in is slightly worse, but not much. Straight line traction seems to be the same, held a second gear pull but I didn't do any first gear launches (nor have I ever). Lateral grip has definitely declined, as expected. I would say cornering grip is about 80% of what it used to be, which is still more than enough for the street. The oddest part, which will just take some getting used to, is how the back end follows the front when coming into a corner. It's like the rear tires are skating around and quickly rotate the car, slightly more than I want, then they settle in and grip.

There's a tight 90* turn off from the main highway that I fling the car through if nobody is waiting there to cross, and with the Michelin's there was a lot more tire squeal and push, but that was a very extreme scenario.

Overall I'm pleased and will likely keep them as my late fall, winter, and early spring setup. I'm sure they will perform better than the Potenza's when it's under 60* and some rain while not being boring when dry and warm, which is the main reason I picked them up. Rado and Potenza's going back on for the next couple months however. Here are some hazy cellphone pics for the meantime thanks to all the fires around here.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Just a quick update. Mounted them tonight and took it for a drive, still on the 93 tune though as I didn't realize I had that much gas still in the tank to put any meaningful amount of E85 in. Fronts were set to 40 psi and rears at 38. All comparisons are to the factory wheels with half worn Potenza's. These Michelin A/S 3's have 8-9/32nd remaining. Ambient temp was about 80* and dry roads.

Less tread noise and ever so slightly smoother ride with the Michelin's. Turn in is slightly worse, but not much. Straight line traction seems to be the same, held a second gear pull but I didn't do any first gear launches (nor have I ever). Lateral grip has definitely declined, as expected. I would say cornering grip is about 80% of what it used to be, which is still more than enough for the street. The oddest part, which will just take some getting used to, is how the back end follows the front when coming into a corner. It's like the rear tires are skating around and quickly rotate the car, slightly more than I want, then they settle in and grip.

There's a tight 90* turn off from the main highway that I fling the car through if nobody is waiting there to cross, and with the Michelin's there was a lot more tire squeal and push, but that was a very extreme scenario.

Overall I'm pleased and will likely keep them as my late fall, winter, and early spring setup. I'm sure they will perform better than the Potenza's when it's under 60* and some rain while not being boring when dry and warm, which is the main reason I picked them up. Rado and Potenza's going back on for the next couple months however. Here are some hazy cellphone pics for the meantime thanks to all the fires around here.
First of all, the MO with black wheels looks beautiful, especially with the Spec D tails, just gorgeous! But anyway, thanks for the comparison, as mine came with the AS3's I've always wondered how they directly compared. Prob need more driver mods but I've never really gotten them to squeal, but I have always thought how the back comes around is simply how the FiST is with such little understeer for a FWD car. I'm convinced that I will definitely need a 2nd set of wheels/tires eventually.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Honestly it's probably a combination of myself never having UHP summer tires but also I didn't like them as much until I got the PSI up to 40...
We beat the living shit out of our FiSTs so I dunno, turns are a lot of fun with sticky tires. When he had the Michelins he almost died a few times trying to follow me or someone with UHP summers on

First of all, the MO with black wheels looks beautiful, especially with the Spec D tails, just gorgeous! But anyway, thanks for the comparison, as mine came with the AS3's I've always wondered how they directly compared. Prob need more driver mods but I've never really gotten them to squeal, but I have always thought how the back comes around is simply how the FiST is with such little understeer for a FWD car. I'm convinced that I will definitely need a 2nd set of wheels/tires eventually.
Thanks! It's actually the factory tail lights with Lamin-X tint on them.

We beat the living shit out of our FiSTs so I dunno, turns are a lot of fun with sticky tires. When he had the Michelins he almost died a few times trying to follow me or someone with UHP summers on
I can see how that's a possibility. I will have to play with air pressures in hopes of settling the rear of the car down as it is quite tricky all of the sudden. The stock tires really are quite good when it's warm out and I would continue to run them as long as possible but with all the cold and rain we get in the PNW, I need something milder for 5-6 months.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thanks! It's actually the factory tail lights with Lamin-X tint on them.

I can see how that's a possibility. I will have to play with air pressures in hopes of settling the rear of the car down as it is quite tricky all of the sudden. The stock tires really are quite good when it's warm out and I would continue to run them as long as possible but with all the cold and rain we get in the PNW, I need something milder for 5-6 months.
GREAT idea on Lamin-X tint! I'm definitely going to look into that... But what do you mean by "stock" tires? This what most of us get when we buy new up here! :) But seriously, it seems like any other car where when you make an aggressive turn the rear needs to shift its weight then it it settles in and grips, so not sure how it would be different with another tire... I guess I'd have to drive them with different tires back to back to feel the difference...

GREAT idea on Lamin-X tint! I'm definitely going to look into that... But what do you mean by "stock" tires? This what most of us get when we buy new up here! :) But seriously, it seems like any other car where when you make an aggressive turn the rear needs to shift its weight then it it settles in and grips, so not sure how it would be different with another tire... I guess I'd have to drive them with different tires back to back to feel the difference...
Sorry I meant my stock tires, the Potenzas. Most of the cars I looked at had those fitted, not the Michelins.

It's pretty point and shoot with the Potenzas on the car, while the Michelins take some time to get set in the corner. That's the best way I can describe the difference.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Sorry I meant my stock tires, the Potenzas. Most of the cars I looked at had those fitted, not the Michelins.

It's pretty point and shoot with the Potenzas on the car, while the Michelins take some time to get set in the corner. That's the best way I can describe the difference.
I suppose I never checked to see which tires the cars around me had when I was shopping... I used Damerow in Beaverton but they pulled the car from Skyline in Salem as it had the exact options/color I wanted/could afford (Magnetic w/only black wheels/red caliper package). I just figured most of the cars in the NW were ordered with all-season and I'm personally glad mine did, love the still very grabby low dust pads too... But I can kind of imagine what you mean, I could see the rear sticking a bit more too, we'll have to meet up sometime after you get summer tires back on so I can see for myself!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Around here, one had to pretty much ORDER the car with the Pilot Sport AS/3s to get one (as I did), as even the searches went out 75+ miles to find ANY dealers which had one this way, on their lot.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Around here, one had to pretty much ORDER the car with the Pilot Sport AS/3s to get one (as I did), as even the searches went out 75+ miles to find ANY dealers which had one this way, on their lot.
Interesting, and it's not like you live in a super dry state... huh...

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Interesting, and it's not like you live in a super dry state... huh...
As far as I could tell, the dealer I bought the car from had dealer ordered for stock EVERY one of the 3 (in BLACK only, as one also had to order one if wanting ANY other color around here), and the one I test drove at a dealer 25 miles away from me in Langhorne, Pa. (ALSO black), ALL had the Potenzas on them.

Even when they did a search, the closest Magnetic base car with the As/3s on it they could find (out of the dealers they traded stock with) was at a dealer about 90 miles away in northwest Pennsyltuckey.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
But will they still fit on 17x8s though? I just found out a tune shop in my city has a set of bronze Pro Sport 1.2s but they only have 17x8s in 42mm offset.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
But will they still fit on 17x8s though? I just found out a tune shop in my city has a set of bronze Pro Sport 1.2s but they only have 17x8s in 42mm offset.
Hmm, so a full inch wider than stock wheel pushed out by 5.5mm of less offset should probably still work, no? I mean, won't be able to go very wide or tall with the tires, may be stuck at stock size?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
They will fit, and shops should not give you any grief, or refuse to mount them on an 8" wide wheel, since that is within their rim width range, according to Bridgestone, albeit on the upper end.

They WILL look a bit stretched though.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Anyone ever put rota rb royal's their fist? Would love some pics. I really like the hyper black color on the rota royal witch for some reason doesn't look the same on other styles. I'm not a real fan of the style but a part of me likes the old school looks. Also the offset is 30. I dont know much about offsets so any info welcome.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OEM Pirelli tires lasted 24,500 miles (not bald but getting close). Searched around for tires on my budget. Looking to spend around $80 a tire or less. Found these Riken Raptor ZR A/S:

They are 215/45ZR17. You can see the difference in the sidewall and width in these photos. Mind you, I do have 7.5" wide wheels in these photos:

OEM tires on 17x7.5
driver side view.jpg
side view front driver.jpg

New tires 215/45/17
20181203_160139s.jpg
20181203_160146s.jpg
20181203_160223s.jpg

They fill in the wheel well a bit more and the sidewall is closer to 90 degrees.

OEM Pirelli tires lasted 24,500 miles (not bald but getting close). Searched around for tires on my budget. Looking to spend around $80 a tire or less. Found these Riken Raptor ZR A/S:

They are 215/45ZR17. You can see the difference in the sidewall and width in these photos. Mind you, I do have 7.5" wide wheels in these photos:

OEM tires on 17x7.5
View attachment 19061
View attachment 19062

New tires 215/45/17
View attachment 19063
View attachment 19064
View attachment 19065

They fill in the wheel well a bit more and the sidewall is closer to 90 degrees.
Looks good, meaty tires on a Fiesta are super cool IMO. Also, your factory tires are Bridgestones, not Pirelli's :)