Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Jeff's 2015 Fiesta ST build thread

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #141
The seasons are changing and temps are dropping! When do you plan to dyno at TopSpeed?
Yes they are! My car has a bit of wheelspin/loss of traction in 3rd gear now when in the colder mornings! HAHA!

I'm going to call TopSpeed later this week and make an appointment, probably some time in October.

First world problems, my tires didn't arrive today UPS due to the hurricane, but the plan is (if they arrive) to have them installed Thursday. Can't wait!

Also, I did a small fun mod which I will display below:

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

[driving]

That is greatness! Where did you get it?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #149
Tires on!

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

THOUGHTS...
These tires are super grippy, with my current TC setting I'd spin tires in 2nd before, now it grabs and goes goes goes.

The tires are +1 sized so they fill the fender well a bit more which looks great!

As for grip, a noticeable improvement!

A little noise but nothing awful or unacceptable...

The one issue I am having is it seems after only one day of driving that a noticeable amount of mud/dirt it being spit up onto my car since the tires are wider than the stock size. I might need larger mud flaps! We will see if this continues, maybe I just hit a bad area.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The sidewalls have a lot less 'bulge' (or 'sucked in' effect) to them than I would have expected on the factory 7" wide wheel width. [thumb]

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #153
The sidewalls have a lot less 'bulge' (or 'sucked in' effect) to them than I would have expected on the factory 7" wide wheel width. [thumb]
Yes, the don't look unordinary to the casual observer. I've seen them on aftermarket wheels and that presents them a bit more aggressively.

I take it you're comparing the new tires (grip, and fitment) to the stock potenzas, correct?
Yes! See below...

New tires look good. Have you fully tested them out in the back roads? Hard cornering? Do the tires roll?
Thanks! Yeah they're special for sure!

So the honest truth here is they haven't gotten a "full test" and maybe won't. My aggressive driving usually happens in a straight line, not on cornering. Now I realize that that is what makes the FiST so special but I rarely whip around corners. From the 30 miles I've put on the new tires I can positively say that when cornering (modest cornering as I do) they give less and feel noticeably more planted than the stockers. Reading up on these tires will reveal that they are reinforced both in the middle and sidewalls for even wear and better traction. They are famous at the track and get glowing reviews which is where I suspect most people use them, rather than being an all-season daily driven tire. All that's to say that a full performance test, which I won't ever do, can be found by many other users and results in very positive feedback!

My reason for picking these tires was to enhance traction in straight line acceleration. And that they do wonderfully!

To the cornering thing - while the FiST shines in corners, my reason for buying one was more about the feedback the car gives the driver in steering, agility, etc. I love the way it feels so connected with the road. Cornering is a bonus but it wasn't my prime directive in this purchase, nor my favorite attribute of it. I'm probably in the minority here but I'm just not interested in getting my car on the track.

LOOK AT THIS TREAD!!!

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah, I DO like the tread pattern of the RS-Rs over my RS-RR's 'flame pattern', but I also wanted the widest tread width (even if only by a couple of tenths of an inch) Federal offered in a 215/40-17, 200 tread wear tire, since I was putting them on an 8" wide wheel. ;)

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #155
Yeah, I DO like the tread pattern of the RS-Rs over my RS-RR's 'flame pattern', but I also wanted the widest tread width (even if only by a couple of tenths of an inch) Federal offered in a 215/40-17, 200 tread wear tire, since I was putting them on an 8" wide wheel. ;)
Be careful with those tires my friend! I read up on the RS-RR's and would be a bit apprehensive as they have no rain rating at all! Be safe! And hey post a pic I'm sure they look amazing!

Today was bling day...check out my thread here on this mod...

Hosted on Fotki

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I leave at least the factory traction control nanny on, if not the full ESC when it is wet out, and take it very easy as well, especially when it first starts raining and loosens all of the oil/grease from the roads' 'pores'. ;)

Last edited:

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Hey Jeff, please post after your first rain experience about how the tires work out. I am on the fence about picking up a set myself next summer. Thanks.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #158
Hey Jeff, please post after your first rain experience about how the tires work out. I am on the fence about picking up a set myself next summer. Thanks.
Will do. No rain yet, but my pal down the road has the same car as me with the X47R and the same tires, he said they do fine in the rain which lent to me purchasing them. Also I read extensively on Federal's website and a few 3rd party review sites, everyone pretty much (along with Federal's data presentation) says they do well in the rain. It's the RS-RRs that don't even have a rain rating at all which would steer me away from using them for everyday driving.

Check out their info page here, notice the "Wet Grip" icon is there whereas with the RRs it is absent!!!

Cobb's new firmware allows some new monitors, among which is is estimated HP. I did a datalog and Virtual dyno shows 281/302 for this one which is within 3% of what the AP says which is 291/290, that's somewhat impressive. Not the numbers, I'm talking about the 3% margin. Although those numbers are about what I'm expecting when I hit the dyno later this fall.

Hosted on Fotki

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Will do. No rain yet, but my pal down the road has the same car as me with the X47R and the same tires, he said they do fine in the rain which lent to me purchasing them. Also I read extensively on Federal's website and a few 3rd party review sites, everyone pretty much (along with Federal's data presentation) says they do well in the rain. It's the RS-RRs that don't even have a rain rating at all which would steer me away from using them for everyday driving.

Check out their info page here, notice the "Wet Grip" icon is there whereas with the RRs it is absent!!!

I am sure that the RR's rain performance is nowhere near the R's, but as compared to the other 'less tready' 200 TW rated tires out there I was considering (Dunlop Star Specs, RE71Rs, Yoko AD08Rs, etc.) they are probably not any worse in the rain/standing puddles. ;)
(The continuous center groove(s) on some of the above tires helps in the rain, but only so much when they also have big chunky shoulder blocks.)

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #160
2 updates for my build thread...

1 MOUNTUNE SPRINGS
...are on the way!

2 DIYs/REVIEWS
...are something I've done a few of, I was cleaning up my build thread today decided to post convenient links for anyone who might want more 411 on any of these:

Vinyl decal swoosh/hood stripe DIY LINK

Redline goods armrest REVIEW LINK

Shark fin antenna REVIEW LINK

Diffuser fin DIY LINK

RA mud flap DIY LINK

Interior bulb DIY LINK

Homelink $6 DIY LINK

Pierce bars REVIEW LINK

Race-gas concentrate REVIEW LINK

Interior moulding REVIEW LINK