Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Jeff's 2015 Fiesta ST build thread

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #162
Hoping to install my springs tomorrow....

In the meantime, I did a 6 hour road trip today (no interstate, only 55mph state roads through many small towns), reset the mpg and got 41 freaking mpg. A new best in this car. Now, I drive like a grandma and use many hyper-miling techniques, and did not use the A/C, and went the speed limit. But that's great mpg! I check my "true" mileage on every fill-up and have found the mpg counter to be +/- 1 mpg, so it's fairly accurate. Keep in mind I have a bunch of mods that increase intake and exhaust airflow so my mpg should be higher than stock...

Anyhow...in addition to seeing lots of cows and pastures and cotton fields, I got this:

Hosted on Fotki

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #165
OK Mountune springs installed. Super special thanks to Daniel aka [MENTION=4142]SwAp GaS[/MENTION] for guiding the install. What a great fellow! Took 2 hours moving super slow and talking about Tom Petty and dads and whatever else. Great to have a friend right down the road. And we met on this forum! How cool.

Test drive, just a few miles home, car feels more planted but less stiff. How can that be? I don't know but it feels great. Haven't taken any quick turns yet but so far the springs feel great. Better ride than stock but not in a mushy Cadillac sort of way. It looks pretty sweet too! Some say the springs will settle after a week. Not sure if that is true, but they have definitely lowered the car already!

I don't have before and after photos, but we all know what these look like by now.

Here are some pics though:

Ready for action...
Hosted on Fotki

The sort of things you find in Daniel's garage...yep, just a box of turbos sitting there...
Hosted on Fotki

2 2015 black Fiesta STs, mine in the foreground, his in the background...
Hosted on Fotki

Another...
Hosted on Fotki

My car is a little monster (X47 on 99 octane) but his is an absolute beast (X47++ on meth, LSD, lightweight flywheel). We took a drive after and both cars were a blast.

It's been a good day!

EDIT: Thanks to [MENTION=1313]BRGT350[/MENTION] for a helpful install video and torque specs!

Last edited:
OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #167
Hey Jeff, please post after your first rain experience about how the tires work out. I am on the fence about picking up a set myself next summer. Thanks.
Still no rain to speak of but I do remember your request. They are rain rated though.

Not much to update on my build, though I did add some red trim (temporary) around the front "mouth" after seeing a cool pic of a modded sFe Fiesta that I liked. I might re-do this after a few days if I decide I like it. Also I'm working on a few Pierce Motorsports bars (front strut bar and rear trunk brace) to purchase used at some point soon which I'll add to my car.

Cool weather is here, the car is louder (exhaust, intake) and creaks and rattles a bit more than usual and is pretty crazy fast. I see no reason for anything beyond 300hp in this platform, but that's just my preference.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #171
The seasons are changing and temps are dropping! When do you plan to dyno at TopSpeed?
Sorry I missed this trip..
Sorry man, my fault totally. I think I was supposed to tell you beforehand. I ended up planning it pretty quick on a Tuesday morning, but due to traffic I was way late to my appointment and stuck in inner city ATL for about an hour not moving. So even if we'd tried to meet up I don't think we would have been able to connect.

I'll be up that way again sometime, if you're up for it maybe we can hang out then, or if you're ever this way it would be awesome to meet up, let me know.

Hey Jeff, please post after your first rain experience about how the tires work out. I am on the fence about picking up a set myself next summer. Thanks.
Moderate rain today, finally. The tires did great, I have no issues with wet traction on the Federals.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I get it. Definitely give me a heads up. I live in the city and know ways around the traffic. Joe Ippolito at 2J has a Dyno and is a solid dude. He’s also extremely familiar with our platform. The local ST Club is planning a dyno day. PM me if you’re interested.

Will do. No rain yet, but my pal down the road has the same car as me with the X47R and the same tires, he said they do fine in the rain which lent to me purchasing them. Also I read extensively on Federal's website and a few 3rd party review sites, everyone pretty much (along with Federal's data presentation) says they do well in the rain. It's the RS-RRs that don't even have a rain rating at all which would steer me away from using them for everyday driving.

Check out their info page here, notice the "Wet Grip" icon is there whereas with the RRs it is absent!!!

Cobb's new firmware allows some new monitors, among which is is estimated HP. I did a datalog and Virtual dyno shows 281/302 for this one which is within 3% of what the AP says which is 291/290, that's somewhat impressive. Not the numbers, I'm talking about the 3% margin. Although those numbers are about what I'm expecting when I hit the dyno later this fall.

Hosted on Fotki
Interesting. I need to get on a newer firmware. The tune on the car at the moment will only load if I don't update my AP..... :\

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #175
Interesting. I need to get on a newer firmware. The tune on the car at the moment will only load if I don't update my AP..... :\
If you have any turbo setup other than stock then the results will be off, I talked with Cobb to confirm this. My actual dyno numbers on that same tune you referenced were 298/322. HP was close but TQ not so much. Still it's a neat tool.

I've had issues like you described with the AP on my Fiesta and Subaru. It's frustrating.

Yeah, but I think they have added quite a bit since I last updated my AP. The last time I was able to update it was for testing for them to remove the rev limit. They worked with DHM and were able to get my car to rev out to 8500 rpms freely. TQ was never anywhere near correct if I was to pull it up on my AP.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Today was dyno day....results/experience in detail at this thread but here's a snapshot:

298hp/322tq on RG concentrate (99 octane)!!!!

I'm through modding!

Hosted on Fotki
Where is the comparison to the MRX? Did antarctica ever get his dyno'd?

Kinda wish it wasn't just a 99 octane graph and had some 91 and 94 octane lines. Oh well! Nice results for sure!

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #178
Where is the comparison to the MRX? Did antarctica ever get his dyno'd?

Kinda wish it wasn't just a 99 octane graph and had some 91 and 94 octane lines. Oh well! Nice results for sure!
Hey man thanks. On the regular octane lines, I didn't get those, it was my plan but after a bit of a fiasco that made my appointment way longer than it was supposed to be, I didn't want to pay for additional dyno time at that point, I was ready to get out of there. I'm pretty sure it would do around 270 like everyone else though. I was only interested in seeing my optimum power.

Bryan aka antarctica hasn't hit a dyno yet, he had a job change and has been super busy, plus he added the new Mountune wastegate and IIRC last I heard he was finalizing tuning. So once he gets sorted we'll compare dynos. However I can tell you the results based on all the other data - X47 spools quicker, MRX brings more mid range torque, power is about equal given the same gas. It's all in what kind of driving characteristics you want - quick spool with linear power, get the X47 and save a few hundred bucks...super donkey kick whiplash power curve with a warranty, get the MRX, it comes down to that in my opinion.

Now...........UPDATES to my build.....I bought some used and new stuff in the last few weeks and it all arrived here.....parts to be installed soon are:

- Cabin filter
- New plugs
- ST shift knob OR Tim Wolf's custom shift knob - both are excellent, I just can't decide....
- Pierce trunk brace
- Pierce strut brace - this was the original prototype I got from Pete's sale, which I'm painting red as we speak...

Also I got another box of RG concentrate and an AC---->DC converter, which everyone needs in their car, I think.

Will install soon and update, maybe in a few weeks anyway....

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
When you say "warranty" on the MRX, you mean on the kit itself, correct (and NOT that the factory warranty continues on regardless, once the kit is installed)? [dunno]

BTW; LOVE my Ford Racing ST shift knob, does not burn or freeze your hand like metallic ones will (maybe not a concern for you?), and looks GREAT! [thumb]

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #180
When you say "warranty" on the MRX, you mean on the kit itself, correct (and NOT that the factory warranty continues on regardless, once the kit is installed)? [dunno]

BTW; LOVE my Ford Racing ST shift knob, does not burn or freeze your hand like metallic ones will (maybe not a concern for you?), and looks GREAT! [thumb]
Thank you sir. Yeah I meant both actually, maybe I'm wrong but I thought the MRX carried the same warranty preservation that other Mountune products did, and that's why it was an attractive option for some.

Haven't driven with the ST knob yet, I just screwed it on, maybe later this week! Thanks for the kudos!