Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How to pass OBD state inspection test with Cobb stage 3?

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
So, after two years with the FiST, I've run into a bit of an issue. In the state of Texas when you purchase a new car, you don't need to have the car inspected until your second year of ownership. For me, that means my time for state inspection was the month of November. I have the complete Cobb stage 3 set up on my car. It failed inspection due to the 02 sensor and cat being "offline" (ie: not ready). I didn't know it was off completely, so my bad. I'm then told by my pro tuner that the Cobb OTS map also disables the sensor as well.

Mmmm k. So if I go back to the stage 0 map and drive the neccessary 60-70 miles to reset the sensors, I get a cat efficiency CEL almost immediately because the voltage readings are too high with the freer flowing downpipe. I'm guessing there's no way to alter the voltage targets so that you don't throw a cat efficiency CEL.

If the only solution to this is to pay someone to R&R my downpipe (twice), to be able to get my car inspected, then my love affair with the FiST has come to abrupt end. I know in the old days there were ways to alter the voltage outputs to the sensors so that freer flowing cats would not be so sensitive to throwing a CEL.

What sucks is that Texas now uses integrated inspection and registration. I cannot get my car registered until I can pass the state inspection.

I don't feel comfortable switching to stage 0 map, driving the car 60-70 miles so all the sensors can relearn and then pop a CEL, then drive to the inspection station and reset the code(s). I've been told I can do that or swap to the economy mode map "and hope for the best".

The folks at Cobb Plano or Cobb Austin have not responded to my email so I don't know what to think. Anyone have any experience with this (specifically Texas people here)?

koozy

3000 Post Club
the latest AP firmware has I/M Readiness monitors, so you can see the state of the monitors before going in for inspection. I'm running Stg 3 v.220 map with Cobb DP and have all I/M monitors in "ready" state.

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
the latest AP firmware has I/M Readiness monitors, so you can see the state of the monitors before going in for inspection. I'm running Stg 3 v.220 map with Cobb DP and have all I/M monitors in "ready" state.
That's interesting. So what you are saying is that you can see the o2/cat as "ready" with the OTS stage 3 map? I was told Cobb disables the cat readiness on their stage 3 maps so it won't throw CEL due to the increase in flow (which alters the acceptable voltage range).

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
I sure wish someone from Cobb would respond to my emails...

I sent one to Cobb Plano AND to Braden in Austin.

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Out here in Austin from my experience you are allowed one "Not ready" and still pass as long as there are no CEL.
I have THREE "not readys". O2 sensor, O2 sensor htr and catalyst.

koozy

3000 Post Club
That's interesting. So what you are saying is that you can see the o2/cat as "ready" with the OTS stage 3 map? I was told Cobb disables the cat readiness on their stage 3 maps so it won't throw CEL due to the increase in flow (which alters the acceptable voltage range).
Yes, I'm running the Stg3 map which also disables the 2nd 02 sensor light, it doesn't disable the readiness. Clearing the KAM or loading a new map wipes out any "ready" monitors and you have to start the drive "cycle" over to get them in a ready state, so keep that in mind. You can search google on how to get monitors in ready state with Fords. From my experience the gas tank should not be empty or full, I had the best results with half tank, because some of the monitors look at how much fuel is in the tank in order to run tests. Too much gas or too little and it won't run the tests. The hardest one for me to get ready is the "evap system". Everything else I can have ready within 20 miles.

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Yes, I'm running the Stg3 map which also disables the 2nd 02 sensor light, it doesn't disable the readiness. Clearing the KAM or loading a new map wipes out any "ready" monitors and you have to start the drive "cycle" over to get them in a ready state, so keep that in mind. You can search google on how to get monitors in ready state with Fords. From my experience the gas tank should not be empty or full, I had the best results with half tank, because some of the monitors look at how much fuel is in the tank in order to run tests. Too much gas or too little and it won't run the tests. The hardest one for me to get ready is the "evap system". Everything else I can have ready within 20 miles.
I switched to the v220 Stage 3 map after reading your reply. I then went out and drove for about 50 miles. Catalyst and o2 sensor say " ready". O2 sens htr says "not applicable" but on my I/M test o2 sens htr reads "not ready".

koozy

3000 Post Club
I switched to the v220 Stage 3 map after reading your reply. I then went out and drove for about 50 miles. Catalyst and o2 sensor say " ready". O2 sens htr says "not applicable" but on my I/M test o2 sens htr reads "not ready".
yah, don't worry about what's not applicable. it's basically that, not applicable. the cool thing is you can plug the AP into any OBD2 car and read I/M readiness for that car. this cool feature Cobb added saved me from buying one. So.. until all of your monitors are ready don't go in for inspection.

- 2000 and newer model year vehicles will need all emission monitors in READY or COMPLETE status, with the exception of the EVAP monitor. AN incomplete evaporative monitor will not cause a smog check failure. It will be the only monitor allowed to be incomplete on a 2000 & newer vehicle.

JasonHaven

This was something I was worried about when I was doing my original research. There's a couple companies that make catted downpipes that won't throw codes apparently, CP-E is one of them, if I remember correctly. But that was all before I found out that upgrading the downpipe with a stock turbo isn't really necessary. If you go with a different downpipe, I'm looking forward to inspection results. DC does the OBD scan as well.

Sorry for the slow response, we have been trying to catch up from the Thanksgiving break! We do not disable the rear O2 sensor in any map so it can still be used for proper fueling corrections. We also do not force readiness monitors into any state as they are not performance related. Therefore, if the exhaust is out-flowing the OEM test requirements, the tests may not run and will not be ready.

Ian

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
Sorry for the slow response, we have been trying to catch up from the Thanksgiving break! We do not disable the rear O2 sensor in any map so it can still be used for proper fueling corrections. We also do not force readiness monitors into any state as they are not performance related. Therefore, if the exhaust is out-flowing the OEM test requirements, the tests may not run and will not be ready.

Ian
So I shouldn't have any problems now since I switched over to the v220 stage 3 map? I understand the issue with the custom tune. I kept throwing a cat efficiency CEL so the sensor was turned off. This only seemed to happen at WOT (high rpm). I don't throw one just driving around normal. I'm not as worried about the CEL as I am the readiness. If I go back in to have the car inspected and a "not ready" pops up again then I will fail it again. I don't want that to happen.

There are mechanical solutions but may impact the tune. Basically extend the sensor away from the flow rate and it will read as normal. I have not done this on the FiST but have done it on a truck with great success.

I've heard of the spark plug defouller used on SX4s for the po420 code

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
In the Focus ST community many people run a defouler on the second O2 sensor to keep it out of the direct stream of the exhaust.

This helps the car not throw codes yet allows the sensor to become ready when running no tune.

Option one: https://www.modernperformance.com/product/Vibrant_Oxygen_Sensor_Defouler/caliber_exhaust

Option two: http://www.2j-racing.com/fiesta-st/2jr-fiesta-st-downpipe-de-fouler.html
Thanks. Making note for the future upgrade.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have bought a straight fitting at local parts stores, once or twice they had ones to short but I was able to stack them, had to drill out one before as well, if in a hurry you can do that or order one.

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
So this is Cobbs official reply:

"Thanks for getting in contact with us. The advice provided to you by your ProTuner is the best advice you can get. We do not sell our products with a universal guarantee that you'll pass emissions, so it sounds like you'll need to revert to stock for at least the downpipe and change maps accordingly to pass emissions. Sorry for the bad news!

Thank you,
Sam Parker
ph: 866-922-3059"

I was told before I purchased the stage 3 that it should pass no problem (that it had passed a Texas I/M emissions test on one of the employees cars with no other modifications or alterations). Maybe Cobb doesn't have a "universal gaurantee" but an asterix with this info BEFORE the point of sale would have been most beneficial. [wink]

Now I have to pay someone labor to R&R the downpipe. I don't have time to do it myself and really don't have any extra money at the moment due to the holidays. In the meantime, not only can I not pass an inspection... I also can't even register my car. Oh the joy! [clap]