Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford adds Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to Sync 3, enhances its own AppLink

OP
B

Bluedrank

Thread Starter #4
Hi jayrod1980,

We're currently working with Apple & Android to get both features implemented. Stay tuned to our Media Site for official announcements: Media.Ford.com

Shaay
Any word on when the 2016 models will have access to the new applink apps? The wording makes it seem like now, but I don't believe that is the case. Or will this also be tied into the Android Auto and Apple CarPlay update coming at some point in the future?

Any word on when the 2016 models will have access to the new applink apps? The wording makes it seem like now, but I don't believe that is the case. Or will this also be tied into the Android Auto and Apple CarPlay update coming at some point in the future?
Hi Bluedrank,

I'm unable to speculate on any release dates. They haven't been provided.

Shaay

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Very excited about this. Sync 3 was the main reason i hunted down a MY16 model. Glad to see Ford stepping up as promised

Hi. I am visiting the CES this week. Word is our 2016 fiesta st will have the software upgrades around mid year. I am not here to explore infotainment but I wandered over to the Ford display. They had a stellar exhibit. I think www.androidpolice.com had the best ...unding more. This whole show is mind blowing!

When I bought my 2016, I had no idea it came with sync 3, and I'm happy with it as is. News that Android Auto is coming to it this year has me pumped! Can't wait.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
So 2015 is left behind? :-(
Yup. SYNC 3 is exactly why i hunted down a 2016 model. Your car has the 2nd generation Sync which runs on Microsoft's Windows Embedded platform. For Sync 3, Ford used Blackberry's QNX platform. They would have write all of the code twice to support both platforms as they are not directly compatible with each other. Ford has wisely decided not to try and support two platforms. Instead dedicating all resources to keeping a single platform up-to-date gives them a much better shot at creating a stable, competitive setup. Sorry bud :(

OP
B

Bluedrank

Thread Starter #13
There's also probably the matter of the hardware embedded inside the unit. Since we're still very much in the early days of in-car computer systems like this, cars made even just a few years ago we're running woefully low-spec hardware in their dashboard systems. It's very likely that the cpu is too slow, and there's too little ram to support overhauling the system in this new way.

Think about old Android phones, the earliest ones can't come close to being able to run the latest version of Android. Even with serious coding projects behind them, working in bleeding edge support is hacky at best. New phone = new software, new car = new software.

Just sad that my sync 2 now belongs in a museum... Oh well. Could hope for a sync 3 swap in the future but that's probably time and money I don't have...

Is there going to be an update available for 2014's?
not for android auto or apple car play....we are stuck on old sync 2...

Just sad that my sync 2 now belongs in a museum... Oh well. Could hope for a sync 3 swap in the future but that's probably time and money I don't have...
Yeah, I'm wondering how hard this swap would be. I may look into it in the future.

Is there going to be an update available for 2014's?
not for android auto or apple car play....we are stuck on old sync 2...

Yeah, I'm wondering how hard this swap would be. I may look into it in the future.

speculative? last they said it would be this summer sometime. mentioned on several CES videos about sync 3 on youtube