Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Let's talk Fiesta ST hitches

Two things - Europeans always have a really liberal view on towing. I'm not sure if it's lower speed limits or something else, but I've seen station wagons towing 4000lb+ race car + car trailer combos before. ALso, that trailer hitch is probably secured directly to the frame of that car. The Fiestas tow hitch mount points are probably a lot weaker. I can flex the hitch receiver on my Fiesta pretty easily.

Anyway, I tow a small folding 4x8 trailer with my car. Max weight I've towed is probably around 200lbs, pictured here with this photo i took with my potato.

See, this is more of what I had in mind when I started to search for a trailer hitch. Trailer filled with tools, tires gas and extra parts for a great track day (or Rally-X). If an Atom can do it, I have faith in the little FiST.

I just saw the picture and thought it was a comical idea. I would tow something about the size of yours, maybe smaller.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I'm going to attempt to tow a Lido 14' sailboat on Saturday. It weighs 300 lbs, tongue weight much less than that. Will report back!
Hmm if you are successful i may rethink getting one. Just want something to pick up some supplies at homedepot. Not a ton of stuff but the odd dozen 2x4, a bbq size something or sheet rock. I have the Edge but i think a FiST pulling some stuff and still hauling butt would be unique and fun. Trust me i loaded my Aveo many many many times. Had 600lbs of concrete mix in the back once. Would prefer the trailer on this car.

I towed a 300lb refrigerator standing up 30 miles on the highway last weekend with my 4x8 harbor freight trailer. It was fine. Doesn't get pushed around by the weight, power is good. Used A/C the whole time.

I towed a 300lb refrigerator standing up 30 miles on the highway last weekend with my 4x8 harbor freight trailer. It was fine. Doesn't get pushed around by the weight, power is good. Used A/C the whole time.
Great to hear. I'm thinking about some jet skis or a little Jon boat

In case anyone is thinking of doing this and not taking it to a muffler shop, I'll tell you what i did to keep the curt hitch from clunking.
I have the stock exhaust and i put cobb hangars in the front 3 hangars and a torque solutions 10MM LONG hanger in the rear. It drops it low enough and holds it tight unlike the 12MM ones that people on this forum have been incorrectly telling people that fit. Get the 10MM!!! I don't know if i really needed the full hangar set of 4 but the back two that are in front and behind the muffler... i do know those were required.

I'll post what worked for me since it took me more than one try. I have a 2015 Fiesta ST, Curt hitch, stock exhaust.

The Curt hitch fits well...no issues with the install.

The exhaust was clunking against the hitch with the stock hanger during normal driving.

I tried the 12mm kartboy hanger, and that did not work at all. It is a hard polymer, maybe polyurethane, and it starts transmitting noise into the cabin as soon as the car is started, before you are even moving. Once you are moving, the exhaust still hits the hitch. The kartboy hanger is shorter than OEM from hole centerline to centerline.

I tried a Nickson 17160 that I found at Autozone and it was better than stock. It is longer than the OEM and a similar material, but it is a little too long and it's more flexible than the OEM due to a big cutout in the middle. No noise at startup or under normal driving, but if I flick the car back and forth to simulate autocross driving, there is some clunking. This one was 4" long overall, 0.725" thick, and ~2.175" from hole centerline to centerline.

Finally I got a Walker 35229 from Smyth Automotive, and it is the best option so far. It is a little longer than OEM and made from similar material. No noise at startup or during normal driving, and no noise doing my simulated autocross driving on a local road (we'll see next year how it does with actual autocross driving on stickier tires). This one is 3.5" long overall, 1" wide, and ~2" to 2-1/16" from hole centerline to centerline.

If you are in the LA area PM me and I can get you in touch with the guy that did mine. I have used the same guy for several trick custom hitches and I can't him enough.

Now that is clean. How do you install the hitch pin? Gotta go underneath the car? I have a 2 bike hitch rack but I'm not putting a hitch on this car. Got a seasucker for when I go mountain biking.

I chose a rack that does not utilize a hitch pin...the 1up rack. However, the only way to access the pin would be from underneath. I can reach the pin without getting my Mohair topcoat dirty. An alternative would be to use an extension...if you were going to have your rack or other attachment on and off a bunch for a limited time. I didn't forsee myself using any other rack or attachments which is why I chose this route. I totally get that this is not a solution for all.

Any shots from under the skirt? Did he modify an existing hitch, or create it from scratch? I was hoping/thinking to have something similar to yours where it comes through the mesh rather than below. Fabrication is well within my wheelhouse, just not sure if it would be more worthwhile to modify an existing hitch or make one right from scratch.

i would also like some below the car pics of that hidden hitch.
That is sweet!

I have the 1up rack also, and its rather bouncy with the draw-tite hitch.

I've just about figured it out for my own install. I'll post pics when I do it. Hopefully in a couple weeks. I usually squeeze my fab work in before shift on Saturdays.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

grnmachine02

Just putting it out there that the drawtite hitch fits with my mountune exhaust. Also found that cutting the that shield as the instructions state was totally unnecessary.

I'm so happy to not have to toss the bike up on the roof after a long day anymore.

Pretty close to my plan. Good to see it will work. Thanks. :)

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

I'll post what worked for me since it took me more than one try. I have a 2015 Fiesta ST, Curt hitch, stock exhaust.

The Curt hitch fits well...no issues with the install.

The exhaust was clunking against the hitch with the stock hanger during normal driving.

I tried the 12mm kartboy hanger, and that did not work at all. It is a hard polymer, maybe polyurethane, and it starts transmitting noise into the cabin as soon as the car is started, before you are even moving. Once you are moving, the exhaust still hits the hitch. The kartboy hanger is shorter than OEM from hole centerline to centerline.

I tried a Nickson 17160 that I found at Autozone and it was better than stock. It is longer than the OEM and a similar material, but it is a little too long and it's more flexible than the OEM due to a big cutout in the middle. No noise at startup or under normal driving, but if I flick the car back and forth to simulate autocross driving, there is some clunking. This one was 4" long overall, 0.725" thick, and ~2.175" from hole centerline to centerline.

Finally I got a Walker 35229 from Smyth Automotive, and it is the best option so far. It is a little longer than OEM and made from similar material. No noise at startup or during normal driving, and no noise doing my simulated autocross driving on a local road (we'll see next year how it does with actual autocross driving on stickier tires). This one is 3.5" long overall, 1" wide, and ~2" to 2-1/16" from hole centerline to centerline.

Many thanks for the walker hanger number, ordered from Rockauto $5 each, not a single noise.