Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Official Brake Setup Thread

Hey everyone,

Time for new brakes soon. Been pricing out all kinds of combinations for rotors/pads to see what kind of pricing to expect. This will be my first full brake job at ~33k miles. My problem, as I'm sure a lot of others will run into is:

1. What combinations of rotors and pads are optimal for street use.
2. Ditto for street/track.
3. Part numbers and where have others purchased their components.

I would like to use this thread for everyone to chime in with their setups as a place for everyone to easily find options and have reviews to fall back on from others who already have experience in this area.

I am personally trying to decide between:

1. OEM rotors front/rear and mountune pads both front and rear
2. OEM rotors front/rear, mountune front pads, OEM rear pads
3. Powerstop rotors front/rear, mountune pads front/rear
4. Stoptech slotted rotors front/rear, mountune pads front/rear
5. Stoptech slotted rotors front/OEM rotors rear, mountune pads front/rear

I am only looking at street pads so my pads are all mountune RS-Rs. I have never used Hawk products, only Brembo so I am leary of plopping for these given that fact and not knowing how their street pads perform. I trust mountune as I've been in a car with their pads in Europe and their status as a legit Ford partner.

OK guys, start listing your setups and please leave as much info as possible regarding your feelings on pads, rotors, fluids, and recommendations. Mods, if there is a thread like this already in play, either delete this one or link them together.

I ran Stoptech Slotted rotors with Hawk 5.0 pads on my Fiesta with great results. In fact I bought a spare set for track days, but I ended up trading in my Fiesta.

I have a set of brand new in the box stop tech slotted rotors, and Hawk pads. (Front only).

I will sell them to you for 10% cheaper than any price you can find online, if you are interested drop me an email. info@adamtuned.com

RBF600 x 2 (pints) is my recommendation for fluid.

Young L

StopTech rotors/lines, Hawk 5.0 fronts/HPS rears, ATE Superblue (euro blue [biggrin]) BUT and this is just me..... brake feel was really sketchy even before I did a track day on them. At first I thought it was just me I even had another buddy of mine drive the car and he said they felt fine for him maybe a little soft he said but liked them so idk..

Front:
Alcon monoblock 4 piston calipers
335x28mm 2 piece floating discs
Ferrodo 2500 pads
Alcon stainless steel lines

Rear:
Stock calipers
Custom 330mm 2 piece rotors
EBC Yellow Stuff pads
Goodridge stainless steel lines

AP Racing Dot 5.1 fluid

Soon to install Ford Racing ABS module

jayrod1980

Stoptech 126.61110SL (Left Front)
Stoptech 126.61110SR (Right Front)
Hawk HB725B.650 (Front)
How much does this improve feel and fade from stock? Are the rotors bigger than stock or just more temp resistant from the slotting? Do these pads dust less?

How much does this improve feel and fade from stock? Are the rotors bigger than stock or just more temp resistant from the slotting? Do these pads dust less?
HUGE upgrade over stock. These are a new pad from Hawk and they are GREAT! Better than any of their lower line stuff like the HPS's.

Dust is less than stock, but there is still some dust which is just going to happen no matter what.

The cheapest I found what I listed above for online is $285.00 shipped. I would be willing to do it for $250.00 shipped.

Again, all BRAND NEW in the box.

I also have some Rally Armor Mudflaps brand new in the box, and a Cobb Shift knob.

Also have a full set of Fifteen52 turbomacs with 300 miles on them. Tires and lug nuts included ;) haha

JPGC

2000 Post Club
-Front: Wilwood (2JR kit) BBK w/ BP10 pads for daily driving/ BP40s for track.
-Rear: Stock Calipers and rotors w/ Mountune (hawk) pads.
-Front/ rear: Stainless braided lines
-Motul Brake fluid.

This setup feels great on the street. Much more linear feel on light braking and very potent on hard braking. The BP10 pads are nice for the street but not for racing.

OP: What's your goal? Only street use? Some track? Just going with what other people run without any context as to what your goals are is hard to do. Brakes are also very personal preference in feel.

I've been overall very impressed with the stock pads. I've done multiple track events with them without too much drama. I did swap to a higher temp fluid though. Right now I've got OEM style rotors front/back with stock Ford pads on front and EBC Redstuff on rear. I have Yellowstuff to go on the front once I'm through the stock pads.

Wilwood 6 Piston Kit up Front.
BP10 Pads for Street and HAWK DTC60 or PolyMatrix E pads for Track

Stock setup in the rear with Hawk HPS Rear Pads.

Moltul 600 Brake Fluid

jayrod1980

I wish the bbks weren't 2k for all four wheels. The sets from 2Jr racing look good but they list mandatory "options" that bump up the price.

Young L

I wish the bbks weren't 2k for all four wheels. The sets from 2Jr racing look good but they list mandatory "options" that bump up the price.
best bet would be to look to the UK a lot more companies to choose from. Ive seen the Ksport BBk for around $1200US probably be around 1500 shipped at the most. Tarox BBK is another popular brand also.

My new setup is being installed as we speak.

mountune RS-R Front Brake Pad
CENTRIC PLAIN 120 SERIES CRYO-TREATED ROTOR

mountune RS-R Rear Brake Pad
Centric High Carbon Plain 125 Series

Tore my old Pads and Rotors to shreds due to my "Spirited" driving style.

Let me know how the initial bite is on those pads
Ok this is only a first impression. I drove back to work after picking up the car so I don't have many miles on them yet. It was raining and I have winter tires on. The initial bite is certainly less aggressive. You have to push a bit before you get that hard braking feel. Totally different than stock. At first the brakes felt weak so I'm not sure if it was related to oil or something else on the pads/rotors(both brand new), or if it's heat related. After a few miles they started to feel a lot stronger.

Right before I got back I hit a section of completely dry road with no traffic. Hit the brakes from 40-50mph to a complete stop. The initial bite still feels much less aggressive, but from applying about 50% to full braking they feel much much stronger. I was kind of meh.. the whole ride home until I hit the dry pavement. They ripped my face off.

Izzy

My new setup is being installed as we speak.

mountune RS-R Front Brake Pad
CENTRIC PLAIN 120 SERIES CRYO-TREATED ROTOR

mountune RS-R Rear Brake Pad
Centric High Carbon Plain 125 Series

Tore my old Pads and Rotors to shreds due to my "Spirited" driving style.
I'm going with the same exact setup...sitting in garage not yet installed. Let me know your thoughts once tested further. What fluid did you use?

I'm going with the same exact setup...sitting in garage not yet installed. Let me know your thoughts once tested further. What fluid did you use?
The rain and cleared and I'll be out and about later so I should get a good chance to test them. I didn't use any particular fluid. I had them done by a local shop here. Do you think this is an important miss? Should I have a certain fluid installed?

I'm about to have to get my brakes done also and was planning a very similar set up as you. Is it unnecessary to get cro-treated rear brake disks?

The rain and cleared and I'll be out and about later so I should get a good chance to test them. I didn't use any particular fluid. I had them done by a local shop here. Do you think this is an important miss? Should I have a certain fluid installed?
Going to be tracking? If not, standard DOT4 fluid is fine. Otherwise you should think about going to a Motul600 or the like, even though the higher end fluids should be flushed more often...

Izzy

It depends on your needs and driving style. I for example am not super aggressive on my brakes but Houston drivers leave a lot to be desired so when someone cuts you off which can happen often here you'll want to be ready. Also, I know I don't want to change fluid that often so I guess I'm looking for a good fluid that won't boil on me when I need it to perform, but doesn't need frequent bleeding.