Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fumoto oil drain valve

Perry

Fumoto F-106 Engine Oil Drain Valve

One of my least favorite things about changing oil is wrestling with a drain plug and having oil splash all over me as I pull it free. Looks like this problem could be put to rest by this:

http://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F-106-Engine-Drain-Valve/dp/B003OXUPOQ/ref=pd_sim_auto_2#productDetails

Experiences, thoughts? My biggest concern, at least as I first think about it, is simply whether this thing could be knocked open during driving and/or be more likely to leak. The manufacturer claims long and problem-free experience with these under demanding circumstances. Anyone here with experience with these?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I like the idea just have not got to the level of trust to try one

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #3
I like the idea just have not got to the level of trust to try one
Dang it, rodmoe, I was counting on you! [kidding] Or maybe pelotonracer2. Or some other trustworthy sort. [wrenchin]

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Yeah, I would pass on that personally. Too much to risk if it somehow hit something OR vibrated open. I'd be seriously OCD with something like that and would be looking under my car every time I got out. lol. Rubber gloves are your friend. hehehe [clap]

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I agree, I would be too paranoid about it leaking that it wouldn't be worth the trade-off.

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
Maybe if you could physically lock it in place with a a key or something. I'd also be afraid it opening while driving.

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #8
Sounds like we're all of the same mind--like the idea of the convenience, etc., but just past midway on the OCD meter that wouldn't let us forget about that thing under there that could cause a major problem at ANY MOMENT! [Cue shower scene soundtrack from "Psycho"!] [:0]

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #10
Maybe if you could physically lock it in place with a a key or something. I'd also be afraid it opening while driving.
The company actually mentions that one can use a hose clip, of the sort sometimes found on dryer hoses, and, to be fair, on dishwasher hoses, to help lock the thing in place if it's used on an off-road vehicle or the like:

I don't know whether that's reassuring me it wouldn't be a problem, or reinforcing my concerns that it could be!

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Must be lol at rodmoe night on the forum hee hee but ya I would have to research it more..
Btw it's good to laugh and I am glad to help :)

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #12
Hey, I was thinking about it, too, but I guess I'm easily swayed, esp. given that I couldn't persuade myself it was a good idea.

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
I dunno, I'd personally rather spend the money on a good magnetic drain plug. Wouldn't have to worry about it, and it's helping keep your engine safe/clean

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #14
I dunno, I'd personally rather spend the money on a good magnetic drain plug. Wouldn't have to worry about it, and it's helping keep your engine safe/clean
I get the idea of a magnetic plug, but have never been persuaded it matters much. I always thought this was one of those things that seemed like a good idea, but doesn't produce much in real world benefits. Anyone know of actual data showing that a magnetic plug achieves what one might call clinically significant efficacy? That is, evidence that a magnetic plug produces not just a measurable difference, but a difference that matters in the life/efficiency/reliability of the engine? Please note I'm not throwing rocks at Colin or anyone else, just asking.

Oh god no. I'd never sleep if I had this thing on my car. No thanks!

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #16
Oh god no. I'd never sleep if I had this thing on my car. No thanks!
lol . . . I think if I'm ever running autoX against you, I'm gonna tell you I put one on your oil pan right before a run . . . [cool]

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
I get the idea of a magnetic plug, but have never been persuaded it matters much. I always thought this was one of those things that seemed like a good idea, but doesn't produce much in real world benefits. Anyone know of actual data showing that a magnetic plug achieves what one might call clinically significant efficacy? That is, evidence that a magnetic plug produces not just a measurable difference, but a difference that matters in the life/efficiency/reliability of the engine? Please note I'm not throwing rocks at Colin or anyone else, just asking.
Ya I'm not sure if there's any real world benefits or not haha
I'm just saying if I was considering replacing my drain plug I'd go through magnetic route. Worst case scenario it does nothing, best case it picks up some harmful metal pieces.
Worst case with that other plug, complete loss of oil pressure and engine failure haha

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Ya I'm not sure if there's any real world benefits or not haha
I'm just saying if I was considering replacing my drain plug I'd go through magnetic route. Worst case scenario it does nothing, best case it picks up some harmful metal pieces.
Worst case with that other plug, complete loss of oil pressure and engine failure haha
Yes but look at it this way: What metals will be attracted to magnets and which metals wont? Also, there are indeed other contaminants in the oil that a magnet won't pick up too. [:p]