Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best wheel for brake caliper clearance?

Chuckable

This forum is full of information on fire and wheel fitments on different suspensions, but I was wondering what wheels is best for aftermarket brake caliper clearance? The Dynapro caliper Wilwood setup just barely clears the OEM wheels, and StopTechs require spacers for use on stock wheels. Any recommendations for maximum caliper space assuming 17 inch wheels?

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I have the OZ Ultralegerra 17 x 7 ET42 and these fit very well with my Wilwood calipers. I can stick a pinky between the backside of the wheel and caliper. I'm running the Dunlop Direzza ZII star spec tires and the BC coilovers with a 1 inch drop.

OP
C

Chuckable

Thread Starter #3
I have the OZ Ultralegerra 17 x 7 ET42 and these fit very well with my Wilwood calipers. I can stick a pinky between the backside of the wheel and caliper. I'm running the Dunlop Direzza ZII star spec tires and the BC coilovers with a 1 inch drop.
Thanks for the quick response. So the OZ Ultralegerra wheels provide about 1/2 inch more clearance than the OEM wheels on the Wilwood BBK. It looks like you could barely fit a business car between the caliper and stock wheel with the Wilwood BBK!

Anyone else have recommendations?

Thanks for the quick response. So the OZ Ultralegerra wheels provide about 1/2 inch more clearance than the OEM wheels on the Wilwood BBK. It looks like you could barely fit a business car between the caliper and stock wheel with the Wilwood BBK!

I think it's pretty safe bet all 17 inch aftermarket rims clear the Wilwood BBK. My 16 inch wheels clear so I think it would be hard to find a 17 that didn't. Do note though that if you are getting all 4 corners, the rear calipers actualy have less clearance than the front's because they are not low profile.

Pete

I have the wilwood kit on my car and for wheels the 16x7 rota slipstreams. It is has the tightest of clearance and is probably as close as you can get without stuff rubbing even with heat expansion. I can upload pictures after work if you like.

OP
C

Chuckable

Thread Starter #6
I think it's pretty safe bet all 17 inch aftermarket rims clear the Wilwood BBK. My 16 inch wheels clear so I think it would be hard to find a 17 that didn't. Do note though that if you are getting all 4 corners, the rear calipers actualy have less clearance than the front's because they are not low profile.
I have the Wilwood BBK on my car on OEM wheels, but was wondering about clearance with other caliper options i.e. StopTech, AP, etc. Good point about the rear calipers. I didn't go for those because they're pricey and I just didn't think I'd need them.

I have the wilwood kit on my car and for wheels the 16x7 rota slipstreams. It is has the tightest of clearance and is probably as close as you can get without stuff rubbing even with heat expansion. I can upload pictures after work if you like.
Pics would be great, thanks! What are the specs on your wheels?

Pete

This was back when I had mudflaps on the car. When I have time on the weekend I can take actual measurements like the above post. Offset is +40 with the 16x7 rota slipstreams.

OP
C

Chuckable

Thread Starter #10
Looks like it fits like a glove, even from that angle! Looking forward to close-up pics. By the way, if anyone's interest is piqued by these wheels, from what I've seen in researching them a bit, they're hard to find.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Just putting this out there, my ESM wheels at 38mm offset would not clear the Wilwood brakes. I had to get some 5mm spacers.

OP
C

Chuckable

Thread Starter #15

From a layman's perspective, I'm just looking at the curve and thickness of the spokes for now. These are OZ Ultraleggeras and they look like they have a fairly thin spoke which also curves in such a way that it appears to give good caliper clearance.

And below is an image I found of the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 showing what looks like great caliper clearance.

I know that eye-balling it won't cut it, but these 2 wheels at least appear to give good clearance.

OP
C

Chuckable

Thread Starter #17
Thanks also for the pics! The pic doesn't show the BBK, but your signature does. I'm assuming the above pic is pre-BBK and that the wheels still fit without a spacer just fine?

In any case, TireRack has confirmed that the 17X7 OZ Ultraleggera will clear the Wilwood BBK.

My OZ Formula HLT wheels give me quite a bit of clearance. I can fit my index finger between my wilwood caliper and the wheel. [MENTION=1536]LeonardSkeonard[/MENTION] also has some Kosei K5R wheels that actually provide more clearance than mine.