Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stratified Flash Tune Review

Trader history for commonplatypus (0)

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Did the turbo run out of steam earlier with the aftermarket pipe? Also read about gaining low end torque, which we really don't need more of and power dropping off earlier than stock.
Gaining low end tq? Gaining any power is a good thing, having it controlled (breaking tires loose on lower rpms) is something the tuner can adjust. Strats v2 I think fixed that issue. No matter what anyone says this turbo only has so much potiential, so getting a custom tune on pump gas isn't worth it (my opinion only). This is where strat shines with their OTS maps.

For me getting the turboback exhaust has been worth it. Imo I would say yes to dp if you are going that exact route. A good tune will make the power linear if that's what you were asking for. Just like the Mazdaspeed 3's you have to shift early (5500) to stay in he optimal power band. Downpipe or not will not change that.

Gaining low end tq? Gaining any power is a good thing, having it controlled (breaking tires loose on lower rpms) is something the tuner can adjust. Strats v2 I think fixed that issue. No matter what anyone says this turbo only has so much potiential, so getting a custom tune on pump gas isn't worth it (my opinion only). This is where strat shines with their OTS maps.

For me getting the turboback exhaust has been worth it. Imo I would say yes to dp if you are going that exact route. A good tune will make the power linear if that's what you were asking for. Just like the Mazdaspeed 3's you have to shift early (5500) to stay in he optimal power band. Downpipe or not will not change that.
Looking at getting the depo dp and intercooler when it's back in stock. I see you have both. How do you like them? Installation a pain on the dp?

I also had a 08 mazdaspeed, most bolt on and stock turbo. That car was a beast lol.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Looking at getting the depo dp and intercooler when it's back in stock. I see you have both. How do you like them? Installation a pain on the dp?

I also had a 08 mazdaspeed, most bolt on and stock turbo. That car was a beast lol.
I don't want to derail the stratified thread , you should check out the depo threads. Ive posted heaps in both and can answer questions there:)

Based

Alright I got the tune today and just drove around with it! I just got the flash tune for 93, my car is all stock besides the tune.

In three days I've gone from stock, to Cobb Stage 1 93 OTS, to this tune for 93. My thoughts are:

Going from stock to Cobb OTS - I could definitely feel a difference! The car is so much stronger up top especially! Throttle response improved making downshifts at higher speeds easier. If I floor it in first I will spin once I get over about 4000 rpm sometimes.

Going from Cobb OTS to Stratified tune - Basically it turned the car into less of a powerhouse but more agile in terms of power delivery. I will be honest and say it is NOT night and day at least for me. But I do like it a lot. I can't tell if the low end torque is less than the Cobb tune but it kind of feels like it.

I have a question. Why when I floor it the car takes a second for it to feel like it's giving it it's all? Like say I'm at like 3000 rpm cruising, I floor it, and it doesn't really throw me back like it would if I just tap the gas and let off fast. It feels like when I floor it it bogs down I guess... This was the case for my non turbo Miata too so no I don't think it's the map or the car, it might just be me lol.

TUX15ST

what gear are you cruising it at 3000 RPM when your flooring it? please do not tell me 5th or 6th gear. I noticed just about no difference going from stock tune to cobb stage 1 tune and then back to stock a few days later. Im waiting till i go full stage 2 again before going with my strat ots+ tune, the cobb maps arent worth it.

Based

what gear are you cruising it at 3000 RPM when your flooring it? please do not tell me 5th or 6th gear. I noticed just about no difference going from stock tune to cobb stage 1 tune and then back to stock a few days later. Im waiting till i go full stage 2 again before going with my strat ots+ tune, the cobb maps arent worth it.
really that was just an example. It happens at any speed/rpm/gear.

But is flooring it in 5th or 6th at 3k bad? I never do it except maybe a couple seconds to gain some highway speed but if you are talking about LSPI then I was thinking 3000 rpm would be high enough to floor it without danger.

https://youtu.be/L2Ziqv0QD7M

You can kind of notice it in this vid I took. Notice how like a second or so after I get going the RPMs just shoot up. It's not the power curve idk what it is

Also make sure you give the car enough time to learn OAR and adjust. This can have quite an impact on performance.

TUX15ST

really that was just an example. It happens at any speed/rpm/gear.

But is flooring it in 5th or 6th at 3k bad? I never do it except maybe a couple seconds to gain some highway speed but if you are talking about LSPI then I was thinking 3000 rpm would be high enough to floor it without danger.

https://youtu.be/L2Ziqv0QD7M

You can kind of notice it in this vid I took. Notice how like a second or so after I get going the RPMs just shoot up. It's not the power curve idk what it is
well 6th would be worse then 5th but yes im talking im talking about LSPI and no 3000 rpm is not high enough in either gear, thats why it takes a little for the power to kick in, you are severely lugging the engine which is no good for anything. you should also be dropping to a lower gear (3rd or 4th depending on speed/rpm) if you are trying to pick up speed entering onto the highway and you will not have this delay because you wont be lugging the engine like you are now

Based

Also make sure you give the car enough time to learn OAR and adjust. This can have quite an impact on performance.
My OAR has been -1 since I got my AP. I've been running 93 for like 500 miles.

I actually think I felt a bit more power this morning going to work but I didn't have my AP connected so I didn't see the oar.

I like the tune it's just not as easy to tell a a difference between the Cobb OTS and this one. Going from stock to Cobb was just gobbs of power thrown at you so you noticed it. This tune is more about an even delivery so it's not as quantifiable but it is noticeable and I do like it better. It feels more like a naturally aspirated car I guess I could say.

My thoughts:

Cobb Stage 1 - hits hard but partial throttle and regular driving feels like stock, which is sluggish IMO
Strat Stage 1 - does not hit as hard as cobb, more linear, partial throttle, shifting and regular driving feels much better over stock/cobb.

Peak numbers are similar, just different areas of the power band.

Based

My thoughts:

Cobb Stage 1 - hits hard but partial throttle and regular driving feels like stock, which is sluggish IMO
Strat Stage 1 - does not hit as hard as cobb, more linear, partial throttle, shifting and regular driving feels much better over stock/cobb.

Peak numbers are similar, just different areas of the power band.
Yeah! That's exactly what I think too! I just couldn't put it into well enough words I guess lol.

TUX15ST

It just baffles me that you guys think the Cobb stage 1 actually feel so much better than stock and I can barely tell any difference, maybe I have a more finely tuned butt dyno lol

you mean less tuned butt dyno.

I noticed a difference from stock to adding 2 gallons of e-85. and Its no placebo effect.

for me- dry roads. stock, no wheel spin. cobb ots stage 1 has wheel spin starting at 15 mph. if that doesnt happen to your car somethings wrong.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Is the OAR only viewable on an AP, or are there other scan tools/monitors/etc. which can show it in live data/real time? [dunno]

grnmachine02

Got my tune from Stratified last night. I haven't been able to do a WOT pull yet because of traffic on the commute, but it drives AWESOME. Throttle response is great, and it's smoother than it's ever been. I'm not one to talk down about other products, but honestly the change is so drastic I feel I have to. The OTS Cobb stage 2 felt like I had an anchor behind the car. Slow to rev, seemed like I had to give much more throttle input for even basic daily driving. I was on the fence about getting an E30 tune from stratified as well as the 93 tune, but I will absolutely be purchasing an E30 tune from them after my positive experience with their 93 tune. What good is gobs of power, if the driving experience is crap?

TL;DR Stratified is awesome, give them your money.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Got my tune from Stratified last night. I haven't been able to do a WOT pull yet because of traffic on the commute, but it drives AWESOME. Throttle response is great, and it's smoother than it's ever been. I'm not one to talk down about other products, but honestly the change is so drastic I feel I have to. The OTS Cobb stage 2 felt like I had an anchor behind the car. Slow to rev, seemed like I had to give much more throttle input for even basic daily driving. I was on the fence about getting an E30 tune from stratified as well as the 93 tune, but I will absolutely be purchasing an E30 tune from them after my positive experience with their 93 tune. What good is gobs of power, if the driving experience is crap?

TL;DR Stratified is awesome, give them your money.
Once the tune gets set-in, let us know how it does in WOT.