Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Pumaspeed V Series Quickspool Fiesta ST180 GT28 Tubular Manifold - Ford Fiesta ST 180 1.6 Ecoboost

Im late to the party but whats everyones thoughts on puma speed headers. i think there built very well but before i spend the 900 on them i wanted to know if anyone owned them on the forum as well.

ST180_Tubularc.jpg

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I think the jury is still out of gains, but they look very well built. I have personally held a $400 BC racing header in my hands, and while it has a few draw backs, its built like a tank.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
i have the $400 bp racing header (ebay) that skittle is talking about. going to install in a month or two along with my cyborg turbo.

a few guys have the pumaspeed header but i havent seen anyone run them on a stock turbo..

How many HP can it make with the mountune mr230 , mountune v1 camshaft and the puma quickspool manifold ? I would like to do this kind of setting on my car :)

Here is an old log I have, red is pumpa and blue is stock, everything else was the same it was either the same day or a day between logs. Ignore the bump in the stock (blue) over 6200, road started a declination.

You can see a small gain the spool but you will not gain anything in the top end (might actually loose), I think the runners may actually be smaller than stock. But with a stock size turbo you might not be flowing enough at the top for that to matter.

I since sold the manifold to a local guy that had bought the BC headers but then switched to mine because its welds were not confidence inspiring.

comp header.jpg

Im running the puma manifold on my gt2860. It lowered spool 300 rpm. Maybe not worth it.

How many HP can it make with the mountune mr230 , mountune v1 camshaft and the puma quickspool manifold ? I would like to do this kind of setting on my car :)
Not as much power as you would make with a big turbo setup that costs less money. I've been told that dropping in a new camshaft is basically pointless as tuners don't have the proper tools to tune for it as there is no way to indicate to the VCT (Variable Cam Timing) system that you're running higher duration and you can't tell where PTV contact happens, either. It just can't be tuned for appropriately. You will need to be tuned for the part in order to take advantage of it like all other things.

The MR230 kit itself is basically an overpriced Stage 3 kit that locks you into the Mountune programming. It's not a regular accessport. It's an mtune that has to be installed by a Ford dealer. The tune can't be changed except by them and they don't do performance tuning, nor do they have the training.

The quickspool manifold likely won't do anything for you in the stock turbo. It's just not a limitation here.

The biggest limitation we have is the turbo itself outside of basic upgrades like the intercooler and tuning. Downpipes, intakes, and exhaust systems just don't do much for performance at all and offer diminishing returns at best until you throw in a bigger turbo; though they do make nice noises.

Best things you can do for power at an intercooler and a good tune. Add tires and a better RMM from there to deal with it and see if you need to keep adding power. If the answer is yes, then you'll want to start looking at a bigger turbo and the supporting mods to go with it (Such as a less restrictive downpipe).

haste

1000 Post Club
I currently have a pumaspeed quickspool manifold installed(see sig for mods). It sounds unbelievable but I had absolutely no gains with it using Cobb stage 3 OTS tune. The car actually feels the same, but the noise it makes, OMG. My wife loves it too, but she is a motorsport enthusiast. I will be upgrading to Cyborg or Pumaspeed X-27 or X-37 in the future.

The pumaspeed manifold is awesomely well built. Everyone that handled it was blown away by the quality of it. I had it ceramic coated by jet-hot to help keep underhood temps down a little. After a hard run I took a temp gun to it after I got back and the manifold was reading 765f, youch! I never took a temp gun to the stock manifold due the heat shield so I don't have a comparison.

I currently have a pumaspeed quickspool manifold installed(see sig for mods). It sounds unbelievable but I had absolutely no gains with it using Cobb stage 3 OTS tune. The car actually feels the same, but the noise it makes, OMG. My wife loves it too, but she is a motorsport enthusiast. I will be upgrading to Cyborg or Pumaspeed X-27 or X-37 in the future.

The pumaspeed manifold is awesomely well built. Everyone that handled it was blown away by the quality of it. I had it ceramic coated by jet-hot to help keep underhood temps down a little. After a hard run I took a temp gun to it after I got back and the manifold was reading 765f, youch! I never took a temp gun to the stock manifold due the heat shield so I don't have a comparison.
any video of the sound?

I think the jury is still out of gains, but they look very well built. I have personally held a $400 BC racing header in my hands, and while it has a few draw backs, its built like a tank.
What are the draw backs on the BP manifold? I'm just curious, this is the first I've heard of this manifold.

haste

1000 Post Club
any video of the sound?
Yessir, here ya go.

[video=youtube;x2YWdxoQJ1s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2YWdxoQJ1s[/video]

[video=youtube;DbKuxUm9OWw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbKuxUm9OWw[/video]

[video=youtube;YT4GVKWqJMw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT4GVKWqJMw[/video]

[video=youtube;mgK0W2p-Xk4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgK0W2p-Xk4[/video]

The mic from the camera couldn't handle the sound pressure from the flame video but I think you can get a general feel for how it sounds. I'm currently looking into other options for sound recording.

I recommend listening with a decent pair of headphones for best results.

In a Ti-VCT engine, the cams are already quite long duration. Adding more duration means you need a limiter to avoid valve to piston contact so you are reducing the phasing that the ECU can do.

With that in mind, turbo engines generally don't need a lot of duration. We already have a lot, adding even more is not likely to do very much.

A lot of the parts we see are traditional hotrod parts which are effective at increasing the horsepower of a naturally aspirated engine. With a turbo, those type of parts are not necessarily going to be effective.

When it comes to our engine, the stock turbo is the limiting factor and you will find that limit easily with a few bolt-ons and a tune. Change the turbo and the limiting factor moves to fuel system.

I don't know how far you would need to go to make the cam a limiting factor but it would be really far.

If I could get a cam with a HPFP lobe that gave me 25% more fuel without shredding the timing belt, it would be a different story.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
For starters, you CAN NOT use the stock heat shield. And its rather tall, its got to be close to the stock air intake path.
After looking around my engine bay recently, I'm really glad frankenfiesta is running a 2J intake because with the external gate, I'm not sure a stock style intake would work anymore.

My biggest issue I have is the flange holes are enormous. The tubes are the correct size, but the flange is way bigger. I port matched the oem manifold gasket the best I could, but if I took the gasket 100% out, there would not be much gasket leave to the edge of the manifold.

But its welds, its tube thickness, its flange thickness, its all pretty epic for $400~ shipped. Its really hard to go wrong at that price.

Lots of people disagree with me. But I still like cast manifolds. Lots of people ( people like me ) would point to the fact that I sell ported manifolds for $$$. That is true, lol. But if someone really wanted to, they could also look up where I asked Adam/Modern to build us a cast aftermarket manifold with an external gate for me to buy a long time ago when modern first got on the forum. Not because it would much cheaper, but because I like cast manifolds over tubular ones.

Anyone that really cares, and doesn't JUST want to argue about it, feel free to join the SR20 forum and ask them which they like better, stock cast manifolds or tubular manifolds. And guess what turbo they deal with the most..... GT28.

But that is my 2 cents. Anyone is free to disagree with me, I don't mind.

Now... I won't argue that with an "ultimate setup" a well designed and perfectly built tubular manifold on a big turbo isn't the way to go, but... For a stock turbo or GT2554/GT2560 type setup, I'd bet the tune and fuel have far more to do with it than a tube manifold ever could.

Russ doesn't tune non-DHM setups, but if he did.... I bet a apples to apples setup using #1 cyborg manifold with an external WG and a ATP GTX2860 vs a pumaspeed manifold on a GTX2860 would have near identical results. I bet the cast manifold would have better response and the tube manifold would have less resonse but a tiny almost unmeasurable gain on the very too end.

But you'd have to have Russ tune both. Not Cobb tuning one 2 years ago with a RUSH RUSH RUSH job for ATP.

Cobb had like 5 seconds per turbo to tune and track each setup on ATP cars. And do you REALLY think they really sat and lost sleep over tuning the GT2554 for absolute best results, while knowing they had 2 more turbos waiting on the table to install and test/track/dyno ?

I don't mind being wrong :)

I'm very willing to concede to being wrong if anyone proves it :)

And not the person selling said product. Shocker... Pumaspeed saw gains with pumaspeeds $950 manifold.

OP
2016leefook
Thread Starter #14
So far I'm getting mixed reviews on them thanks everyone for there input on the matter but I'm not spending the money on it at all till I upgrade the turbo.

haste

1000 Post Club
Just for info, here is Vdyno graphs before and after the manifold. Both are with Stage 3 93(e10) v220 Cobb OTS tune.

Here is with stock manifold:

And tubular:

Im running the puma manifold on my gt2860. It lowered spool 300 rpm. Maybe not worth it.
Hi my friend i have a gt2860rs as well. Thinking on buying the puma quick spool but the one for the street. Is that the one you bought? I have seen all about DHM and I can say the difference is the gt vs gtx. Ball bearings definitly is the way to go. My engine has top boost(26psi) at 4800rpms. Can you send me a vdyno or anything to see your spool. ricardomedina1966.fm@gmail.com. please send me a data log so I can compare my numbers . I have the ATP kit so i n?es to decide what way to go. Thanks in advance !

I'm running a dhm kit now. The ATP/ puma header was too laggy. Honestly, instead of the puma header, just get a cyborg or an x-37. That 5000+ power band sucks. Lol.