Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you do with the transmission when parking?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • I depress the clutch, put the car in first gear, set the parking brake, and turn the vehicle off.

80 46.51%
  • I put the stick in the neutral position, set the parking brake, and turn the vehicle off.

65 37.79%
  • I depress the clutch, put the car in SOME gear, set the parking brake, and turn the vehicle off.

27 15.70%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Senior Member 514 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Neutral, parking brake.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    NC
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

First or reverse then parking brake.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    CT
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by originalrocket View Post
    Page 57 in the 2014 USA Fiesta Owners manual

[B]Unlocking Your Vehicle[/B

*p.s. Did no one read their entire manual? I did!
    I have read most of it while on the throne.

Ratings | Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points
    State
    PR
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

onless it is a heavy incline, I leave it at neutral
    If it is a incline I put it on reverse or 2nd
    2015 Performance Blue Fiesta ST, Recaros, Sunroof
    Cobb AccessPort (custom tune), NGK LTR7IX-11 (1 step colder), Resonator Delete, Turbosmart EM Plumb-back, Ramair blue intake silicone hose
    Velossa Tech Big Mouth Performance Blue, Ramair crossover pipe gold taped, Whoosh hotside J charge pipe, Whoosh Blue Silicone charge hoses , Whoosh symposer delete
    PowerFlex RMM inserts, Poweflex Motor and Transmision bushing inserts, Damond Oil Catch Can w/VTA & nylon sleeves, ST200 Airbox with Ramair filter
    Hawk 5.0 brake pads, Mishimoto radiator hoses, LaminX headlight protectors, OEM all weather mats inc/ trunk, Maxon Design front lip v2, CPE FMIC
    Boomba short throw tranny kit, Boomba tranny solid bushings, Rota titans Gold 17x7.5 , Mountune Radiator, TB Performance stage 3 braces

Member 73 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

I've had a car roll down a hill because I only used the parking brake and the parking brake let go. Luckily I was parked just right and had the wheel turned just slightly to hit the curb going down with one back wheel and miss a building and tree completely. No damage except my pride. Ever since then I've trained myself to park in first gear all the time. Doesn't matter how flat the surface is. If it's a habit all the time then you won't forget to do it on the time that you might actually need it.

The parking brakes on the Fiesta work a lot better than my old car, but even so I still do it no matter what.
    2016 Fiesta ST Molten Orange

Member 234 Rep Points Capri to ST's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    NC
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sil3nt611 View Post
    I've had a car roll down a hill because I only used the parking brake and the parking brake let go. Luckily I was parked just right and had the wheel turned just slightly to hit the curb going down with one back wheel and miss a building and tree completely. No damage except my pride. Ever since then I've trained myself to park in first gear all the time. Doesn't matter how flat the surface is. If it's a habit all the time then you won't forget to do it on the time that you might actually need it.

The parking brakes on the Fiesta work a lot better than my old car, but even so I still do it no matter what.
    +1, I also always put it in 1st & pull up the parking brake and agree completely that it's important to make it a habit.
    The value of making it a habit is illustrated by the time I parked my manual trans Integra at the grocery store, and then heard my license # being paged to come to the front desk there while inside. The clerk said "Sir, there's an issue with your car outside."
    I ran out and found my car angled in the travel lane of the parking lot with this incredibly nice guy leaning into my trunk and holding it in place. Apparently I'd been preoccupied and didn't pull the parking brake or put it in gear in an almost flat area. It started rolling after I left and this patron saint of cars was able to stop it.
    I'm a lawyer and after thanking him profusely I gave him my card and told him if he ever needed legal help he had a free one coming to him.
    So, I got lucky that time with no damage but it's always good to have an extra layer of safety.
    2016 KONA BLUE FIESTA ST
    MP 215, RECAROS, TD PRO RACE 1.2 WHEELS

1995 ACURA NSX-T

Member 73 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capri to ST View Post
    +1, I also always put it in 1st & pull up the parking brake and agree completely that it's important to make it a habit.
    The value of making it a habit is illustrated by the time I parked my manual trans Integra at the grocery store, and then heard my license # being paged to come to the front desk there while inside. The clerk said "Sir, there's an issue with your car outside."
    I ran out and found my car angled in the travel lane of the parking lot with this incredibly nice guy leaning into my trunk and holding it in place. Apparently I'd been preoccupied and didn't pull the parking brake or put it in gear in an almost flat area. It started rolling after I left and this patron saint of cars was able to stop it.
    I'm a lawyer and after thanking him profusely I gave him my card and told him if he ever needed legal help he had a free one coming to him.
    So, I got lucky that time with no damage but it's always good to have an extra layer of safety.
    Yep, just like I don't think twice about driving a manual after driving one for years, I've also been putting the car in first and engaging the parking brake ever since I had the car roll down the hill. Never an issue since even with the old car with parking brake issues.

A random story based on cars rolling down hills. My family parked in a parking lot and walked past a truck. As soon as we all cleared it, it started rolling down the hill right toward some lawnmowers. And it was a pretty big hill. They couldn't hear us because the mowers were loud. Thankfully the truck hit enough of a bump to slow it and the mowers noticed and were able to get out of the way. Cars that aren't properly secured with the parking brake and either in gear or in park can be dangerous rather than just inconvenient.
    2016 Fiesta ST Molten Orange

Member 234 Rep Points Capri to ST's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    NC
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, if that incredibly nice guy hadn't held my car the incline got steeper past where he was holding it and it would have crashed into a line of parked cars or worse.
    2016 KONA BLUE FIESTA ST
    MP 215, RECAROS, TD PRO RACE 1.2 WHEELS

1995 ACURA NSX-T

New Member 6 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I try making it a custom to park in gear. It's not really necessary where I live right now, but anything from hurricanes, earthquakes, someone hitting your car, or hills, can move the car when parked.
    For that reason, I made it a custom to park in the gear I need to depart.
    If I park nose in, I'll use reverse gear + parking brake.
    If I back in a parking, I choose 1st gear + parking brake.

The parking brake is mandatory, as there's plenty of occasions where the car can kick out of gear.
    I'm not taking the risk.

Also first gear, or reverse. Any gears over 2nd gear can actually overpower the engine (especially on a steep hill).

Senior Member 361 Rep Points
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    OH
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Turn wheels into curb.
    Engine off.
    Pull parking brake only as much as needed.
    Release brake pedal.
    Trans in Reverse. (reverse is not synchronized so you have to be mindful of engagement)

Had my prior car for nearly two decades, so you can imagine that I've had a range of experiences. By the time I sold it a couple of years ago, the parking brake was completely useless. The teeth on the automatic adjusters were completely worn/stripped.

We live in a valley. So if you're not on a downhill, it's only because you're on an uphill. That's the first thing we notice when travelling, is how FLAT the land is. I also found out that cycling is relatively boring on flat land LoL.

For really steep grades, engine compression alone would not hold it. Most of the time I'd find some place else to park. Also kept a wheel chock in the car though I was always afraid somebody would come along and yank it, for their own entertainment.

Anyway, I always set my brake and put in gear. One day I happened to be sitting in it still, after having parked. Heard and felt a loud quick slam with some dull metal ring. That was my parking brake lever slamming into full release. I believe I had unwittingly set the lever on the edge of a "gear" tooth, which eventually resulted with a slip. That only happened once in two decades. Though, there have been a couple of times I've come out and found it in the release position. Probably just forgot to set it but it could've snapped loose again.

Rotating my tires, I had lifted the rear but forgot to loosen the lug nuts first. No problem right? Just pull the e-brake. So I did. The passenger side worked. The driver side wheel rolled as if I never pulled the lever. So my e-brake (due to rust-frozen adjuster) was only half as effective.
    2016 Ford Fiesta ST Kona Blue ; Engine, Suspension will remain untouched ; Southwest Ohio ; Winter: 215/45R17 Continental ; Seasonal: 205/40R17 Bridgestone

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast