Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What do you do with the transmission when you park? In gear or not?

What do you do with the transmission when parking?

• I depress the clutch, put the car in first gear, set the parking brake, and turn the vehicle off.

Votes: 93 46.3%
  • I put the stick in the neutral position, set the parking brake, and turn the vehicle off.

Votes: 78 38.8%
  • I depress the clutch, put the car in SOME gear, set the parking brake, and turn the vehicle off.

Votes: 30 14.9%

• Total voters
I do the routine different. I pull up, clutch and brake to stop, and power off, let brake, clutch out. The usually do the ebrake, but only a click or 2. At work, I just do the ebrake (3 4 clicks) just in case of a tow.

I do the routine different. I pull up, clutch and brake to stop, and power off, let brake, clutch out. The usually do the ebrake, but only a click or 2. At work, I just do the ebrake (3 4 clicks) just in case of a tow.
99.9% of the time I leave mine in neutral.. back in the day I was told to leave it in 1st gear on hills but that's just incase the handbrake fails...

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

Yeah, I pretty much leave it in neutral with handbrake on(obviously) but if it is on an incline, I will put it in 3rd mainly because it is the easiest "throw". So, I guess choice 2 and 3?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
.......................... For really steep grades, engine compression alone would not hold it. Most of the time I'd find some place else to park. Also kept a wheel chock in the car though I was always afraid somebody would come along and yank it, for their own entertainment. .....................
One other comment about this, is unless you sit in the vehicle for a little bit, you may not realize that engine compression won't hold it. You could walk away and a little later, find the vehicle "compression walking" it's way down the hill. Once it starts walking though, momentum will quickly turn it into a jerky sprint.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Here's a prime example of a manual shift vehicle that is compression walking...
[video=youtube;7qqArObprdM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qqArObprdM&feature=youtu.be[/video]
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...7A21FFF8697C73E7AF017A21FFF8697C7&FORM=VDQVAP

Interesting vid but there is another mistake in that vid that the driver has made and I don’t know about other states but its in the drivers license handbook in California.

You always turn the front wheels of the car against the curb to the right when facing downhill and to the left when facing uphill.

The car in that vid had its wheels set straight on the hil. That will get you a ticket if I a traffic officer sees it. Its a parking violation.
It’s more known and obvious in cities with hills but it is a parking rule on the books.

The curb will stop slow momentum roll and if so the car will roll up on the sidewalk rather than down the street.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've always left it in 1st, and don't bother with the brake. I like to keep the cable nice.

DangerMouse

I have had bad luck with ebrakes over the years and like most my dad taught me to put it in first. The fist ebrakes isn't that strong either and will roll if not in gear.

I always left it in reverse, because my first manual was a Saab- started putting it in first on the Fiesta, because reverse is up and to the left. I still sometimes come back to my car and realize I left it in 6th, because I am a creature of habit.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I have had bad luck with ebrakes over the years and like most my dad taught me to put it in first. The fist ebrakes isn't that strong either and will roll if not in gear.
eBrake should be strong enough to hold it on a hill. Mistakenly discovered with a prior car, that only one side was actually locking when I pulled the e-brake lever. Only reason I discovered it was, I forgot to loosen the lug nuts prior to jacking the vehicle up.

dmb

I have a slanted driveway, so i set the parking brake put the stick in the center and sometimes the car is across the street when i come outside waiting for me.

The gear depends on what I'm parked on. Facing down a hill, car is in reverse. Parked facing up a hill and Im in first. Never do I trust a parking brake to completely keep a car still.