Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hood Vents?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I've seen them as raised outlets and flush inlets before. The raised can be used as both an inlet and an outlet...Raised type achieve a better ramming effect but create more drag where as a a flush inlet has lower drag and fits flush.....as seen here

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Man I always wanted a syclone or a typhoon to park next to my Grand National lol.
Remember the old video with one racing a ferrari then it goes to dirt lol.

Has anyone done much study on the actual effects on cooling? I know when I had my Abarth the entire community was chopping holes in the hood because the underhood temps were absurd and there were proven drops by adding a vent. I don't feel the underhood temps on the FiST are anywhere near as extreme but :shrug: in So. Cal. any cooling would be nice. I wouldn't mind a vent with a magnetic or some other clip-on block off to install when its rainy.

heh we could just add these to the hood so we can "tune" em :p

Covering a vent when it rains is a bit like holding an umbrella in the rain but not wearing shoes. There isn't even an undertray on a fiesta, every part of the engine bay gets sprayed with water on the highway, don't worry about a vent adding a little more from the top.

Just don't put a giant vent over your coil packs and you'll be fine.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Covering a vent when it rains is a bit like holding an umbrella in the rain but not wearing shoes. There isn't even an undertray on a fiesta, every part of the engine bay gets sprayed with water on the highway, don't worry about a vent adding a little more from the top.

Just don't put a giant vent over your coil packs and you'll be fine.
Yeah just to keep water off the top of the electrics and the coils. Whether the car needed it or not I'd prefer the peace of mind.

Yeah just to keep water off the top of the electrics and the coils. Whether the car needed it or not I'd prefer the peace of mind.
Best spot for functional vents is going to be on the front half of the hood right in the center. Low pressure so air can escape, allowing more air to go through the radiator/IC and then out of the vent. A bonus of that area is that there isn't much going on underneath.

But I will say those vents linked earlier at the corners look great, they just won't do much at speed.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Best spot for functional vents is going to be on the front half of the hood right in the center. Low pressure so air can escape, allowing more air to go through the radiator/IC and then out of the vent. A bonus of that area is that there isn't much going on underneath.

But I will say those vents linked earlier at the corners look great, they just won't do much at speed.
On my last V8 fiero I cut out the hood behind the radiator up front, cut down the trunk (in the front), and fiberglassed so air went through the radiator then up and over the hood. I was much younger and learning fiberglass so I have no idea how effective it really was, but it looked neat ;)

I wanted it ever since I saw it on an old... I think lola race cars were like that?

like this

There seems to be a lot of contradictory info out there on where the hi/lo pressure spots would be. I thought the general consensus was the WRC style vents on the 'upper sides' was the spot to shoot for. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account

Check history, SiestaRider (sp?) did a ton of testing to find that the low pressure areas are right where the rally-style vents are cut in.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
On my last V8 fiero I cut out the hood behind the radiator up front, cut down the trunk (in the front), and fiberglassed so air went through the radiator then up and over the hood. I was much younger and learning fiberglass so I have no idea how effective it really was, but it looked neat ;)

I wanted it ever since I saw it on an old... I think lola race cars were like that?

like this
Pix!? Please!?

Care to site any sources that state this? I frequent the Euro FoST forums for quite some time now. Plenty of developers have shown both the focus and fiesta to share the same pressure zones located near the back corners of the hood.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
These look like they are quality made! A cool ~$300 per set though. Very tempted to have these imported.
It would be cool if they offered the whole M-Sport team style, WRC/R5 carbon fiber hood, with those already installed in it, but that would be $$$$$$$! [crazyeye]

Last edited:

TDavis

1000 Post Club

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Care to site any sources that state this? I frequent the Euro FoST forums for quite some time now. Plenty of developers have shown both the focus and fiesta to share the same pressure zones located near the back corners of the hood.

His butt. He’s wrong.

Once agin I’ll mention SiestaRider (sp?) as they did a lot of testing to determine high and low pressure zones and the CMComposite hood vents are basically exactly where the low pressure zone is. Add. The vent and you’re pulling air out of the engine bay.

With my giant skid plate I want to add these hood vents and some NACA ducts on the bottom to divert air from under the car to out the top of the hood.

This sounds like an awesome idea. Underbody aero is on my list of things to look at down the line.

His butt. He’s wrong.

Once agin I’ll mention SiestaRider (sp?) as they did a lot of testing to determine high and low pressure zones and the CMComposite hood vents are basically exactly where the low pressure zone is. Add. The vent and you’re pulling air out of the engine bay.

With my giant skid plate I want to add these hood vents and some NACA ducts on the bottom to divert air from under the car to out the top of the hood.

His butt. He’s wrong.

So would the WRC corner vents not be sufficient? I'm a bit confused with your rebuttal. From the reading of siestarider, it seems that they would be good, but not excellent?

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
So would the WRC corner vents not be sufficient? I'm a bit confused with your rebuttal. From the reading of siestarider, it seems that they would be good, but not excellent?

The WRC vents are the best possible for this car - they research the high and low pressure areas and design around them, not just throwing stuff at the car because it looks cool.

So, I would say that the location is the best it can get with our cars - on the hood, right by the hinges.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Wish there was a way to close them if it rains....food for thought.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk