Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Temperaure

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Come January when my charge temp is in the single digits, car is covered in ice and salt, and nobody can drive over 40 mph on the highway, you will be the lucky one

haste

1000 Post Club
sounds like the oil temps indicate the oil is overcooled. Oil temp should be above 212'F to burn off water in the oil that gathers from condensation inside the block and below 250/275'F to avoid thermal breakdown. I have the issue with my Mustang without an oil cooler, but 7 quarts of oil, that the car needs to be run very hard to get enough oil temp to burn off the water. With the Fiesta, I monitor oil temps and not coolant temp with the Accessport. I tend to be running just above water boiling temp as a maximum, with 225'F-ish on hot days when running hard. This is on the low end of the temp range for the oil. I would not do an oil cooler upgrade on my Fiesta and need to find a way to keep the oil and water hotter in my Mustang. I can barely get the 180'F thermostat to open on the Mustang due to the cooling system I put together. What makes the car run overcooled is the combination of a large capacity oil pan and the radiator being sealed to the front bumper. I have actually started to unseal the radiator and block off anywhere from 25%-50% of the radiator on the street just to get the thermostat to open. Unless you are seeing constant temps above 275'F, I don't see a reason for an oil cooler. If you do go for a cooler, make sure it has a thermostat that will only open when needed.
Water doesn't have to be at 100c for it to vaporize. Extended periods at high temperatures will get rid of the water without having to reaching the boiling point. Therefore, it's not critical to reach 212f/100c for oil temp.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If you do go for a cooler, make sure it has a thermostat that will only open when needed.
+1! [like]

I would not even THINK of installing an oil cooler on this car without a great thermostat on it, as this is my YEAR 'ROUND daily driver, and is sometimes even short-tripped in the winter, where the oil has a hard time getting up to 'burn-off' temp as it is, let alone with an open oil cooler on it!! [nono]

At what oil temp would you think the fuel diluted in the oil (from DI/cold running/etc.) starts to volatize (I know that's not a word, but it suits what I am trying to describe better than "burn off" ;) ), or does that just never happen, even at 300*F+?? [dunno]

Water doesn't have to be at 100c for it to vaporize. Extended periods at high temperatures will get rid of the water without having to reaching the boiling point. Therefore, it's not critical to reach 212f/100c for oil temp.
Bit worried there for a second since I don't usually break 200 on oil temp not even during our hottest day this year (102). Granted I am not driving it hard either just commuting. Now intake temps... I've seen them get to 150+ sitting at a light. [emoji24][emoji24] I think I need to do some serious heat wrapping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk