Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil Temperaure

Quick question has anyone compared the actual oil temperature to what the Cobb AP reads out?

Installed the Mishimoto Oil Cooler today and I did notice a difference in how quickly the temps would drop. But the overall temperature difference was not that great. Which got me to thinking when Mishimoto did their testing they were using an actual oil temperature sensor as opposed to what the cars ECU reads. Is it possible that our ECUs algorithm for calculating the oil temperature may not be reading out the true temperature?

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I'm curious of coolant temps after installing the oil cooler. Think somebody said awhile ago it made a decent difference in coolant temps as well.

OP
ridinVINTAGE
Thread Starter #3
I'm curious of coolant temps after installing the oil cooler. Think somebody said awhile ago it made a decent difference in coolant temps as well.
On my commute last night I did notice the coolant spiked to 197 once and stayed right around 185-189 the rest of the drive.

Chuckable

Quick question has anyone compared the actual oil temperature to what the Cobb AP reads out?

Installed the Mishimoto Oil Cooler today and I did notice a difference in how quickly the temps would drop. But the overall temperature difference was not that great. Which got me to thinking when Mishimoto did their testing they were using an actual oil temperature sensor as opposed to what the cars ECU reads. Is it possible that our ECUs algorithm for calculating the oil temperature may not be reading out the true temperature?
I think this is a great point which is sometimes lost in discussion. It'd be great to see how closely the AP tracks an actual oil temp sensor reading. I didn't have my AP until after installing the Mishi oil cooler, so can't give before and after comparisons. It's getting hot here in South Florida already though (high 80s and even low 90s) and my coolant hasn't gone above 200F. I do drive with the A/C so that probably affects it. Think all we'll have is anectodal and non-scientific evidence until someone does a direct comparison.

OP
ridinVINTAGE
Thread Starter #5
I think this is a great point which is sometimes lost in discussion. It'd be great to see how closely the AP tracks an actual oil temp sensor reading. I didn't have my AP until after installing the Mishi oil cooler, so can't give before and after comparisons. It's getting hot here in South Florida already though (high 80s and even low 90s) and my coolant hasn't gone above 200F. I do drive with the A/C so that probably affects it. Think all we'll have is anectodal and non-scientific evidence until someone does a direct comparison.
Since the Sandwich plate has a hole for an oil temp sensor I may be looking into doing it sooner rather than later.

Chuckable

Do it! I was thinking of doing the same thing, but didn't want to install a single gauge for oil temp in the case. Wish it were possible to just rig up something temporary for comparison.

My coolant temps did drop after installing my cooler, it made a noteable difference at the track. I believe the oil temp output is inferred by a formula that the car uses. There is no real oil temp sensor on the car. Mishimoto used an AEM Logging system with individual oil temp sensors for their data collection. From my own personal experience at the race track I can honestly say that it made a difference. I just got my radiator installed and for the First time ever while running my car I got my coolant to be cooler than my oil while running my car. I witnessed my coolant hover around 186 while my oil was at 190 during a 2-3-4 gear WOT down a back road near my house.

What would be optimal oil and coolant temps? According to my AP, my coolant was around 228?F (after idling for 10 minutes in 92? heat from being parked all day) and my oil temp was steady around 192?. Coolant dropped to around 199? during my highway drive home, taking it easy, but my oil temp stayed around 192?.

haste

1000 Post Club
When I was tracking the car and had some clear air and was able to do a few laps unabated my AP showed 224F coolant and 255f oil temps. This was running Cobb stage 3 and stock cooling with 70/30 water/anti-freeze mix. Ambient temp was 85f.

Personally, I wouldn't want my oil to go above 240f but my research tells me modern synthetic oils can handle 250F temps without problem. I don't like to see coolant temps above 225f.

Now that I have the X-37 installed, Mishi radiator and oil cooler will be my next step.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Personally, I wouldn't want my oil to go above 240f but my research tells me modern synthetic oils can handle 250F temps without problem.
AGREED, but, I'm not so sure that I trust the group 3 based Conoco Phillips Motorcraft 'full synthetic', let alone their blend that comes in our sumps from the factory, and is on the shelves at Sino Mart, in the above scenario.

IF I were open tracking this car I would definitely step up to one of the group 4/5 based 'boutique' oils, even with ALL of the requisite cooling mods. [;)]

Dug up this thread to say I am experiecing the same as the OP. Temps drop quickly, but overall are not as low as what Mishi advertised on their R&D data, although again I am using the Cobb AP to measure temps. I see temps around 180-200F, and have seen up to 215F after driving 30+ minutes on the highway in 90F+ south Florida weather. Coolant I have not seen go over 200F at all, and that is even on days where it gets to 97F. It stays right around 189 pretty much all the time.

OP
ridinVINTAGE
Thread Starter #12
Dug up this thread to say I am experiecing the same as the OP. Temps drop quickly, but overall are not as low as what Mishi advertised on their R&D data, although again I am using the Cobb AP to measure temps. I see temps around 180-200F, and have seen up to 215F after driving 30+ minutes on the highway in 90F+ south Florida weather. Coolant I have not seen go over 200F at all, and that is even on days where it gets to 97F. It stays right around 189 pretty much all the time.
I still have yet to do a Oil Temp. Gauge. I will definitely be doing it before the planned turbo upgrade next spring. Like one of the other folks on here I have the Radiator coming in and I'm excited to see the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can't speak much of the oil temps - anywhere from 190-209 usually 5-10+ over coolant temps.. as for the coolant temps, this is what my AP was reading - mishi radiator + dhm ic + crash bar + mountune plumbing

I didn't touch the thermostat on mine, when I swapped in the Mishi radiator...my AP reads coolant temps reach 193.7ish usually before the temps drop from the cycle of coolant, depends on how hard you're driving. Cruising, my coolant temps range from 184-189. Pretty steady...
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/13412-Thermostat-question?p=229129&viewfull=1#post229129

So in everyone's experience would you say the thermostat, radiator, and/or oil cooler are worth it?

I'd really like to have my car running as long as possible and I do occasionally track my car. I can't afford to blow an engine just for the simple fact that we aren't allowed to ship a vehicle back to the US that doesn't have an original engine and I have 3.5 years left here in Germany.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
sounds like the oil temps indicate the oil is overcooled. Oil temp should be above 212'F to burn off water in the oil that gathers from condensation inside the block and below 250/275'F to avoid thermal breakdown. I have the issue with my Mustang without an oil cooler, but 7 quarts of oil, that the car needs to be run very hard to get enough oil temp to burn off the water. With the Fiesta, I monitor oil temps and not coolant temp with the Accessport. I tend to be running just above water boiling temp as a maximum, with 225'F-ish on hot days when running hard. This is on the low end of the temp range for the oil. I would not do an oil cooler upgrade on my Fiesta and need to find a way to keep the oil and water hotter in my Mustang. I can barely get the 180'F thermostat to open on the Mustang due to the cooling system I put together. What makes the car run overcooled is the combination of a large capacity oil pan and the radiator being sealed to the front bumper. I have actually started to unseal the radiator and block off anywhere from 25%-50% of the radiator on the street just to get the thermostat to open. Unless you are seeing constant temps above 275'F, I don't see a reason for an oil cooler. If you do go for a cooler, make sure it has a thermostat that will only open when needed.

I have the non thermostatic plate with my Mishi oil cooler. I chose this because it's already going into mid-90s here in South Florida and figured better safe than sorry. I also read somewhere (I'll try to find it) that the optimal oil temp for our cars is 185F.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I have the non thermostatic plate with my Mishi oil cooler. I chose this because it's already going into mid-90s here in South Florida and figured better safe than sorry. I also read somewhere (I'll try to find it) that the optimal oil temp for our cars is 185F.
yeah, I would be curious about that temp. That seems very low for oil temp and counter to everything I researched and was told by different engine builders over the years. None were talking about our 1.6L engine, so there may some unique things with the motor.

South Florida does have a very different climate that I have along Lake Michigan. We go entire summers and never reach 90'F. Seeing a charge temp over 100'F is rare and usually only happens when sitting on a hot day in a drive through.

Yea, I've seen my charge air temps go up to 110 pretty much every day now that the summer is here.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I think I have seen that high only once. My charge air temp is lower than your ambient air temp :p

Lucky. However with my cowl intake, I have seen intake temps lower than ambient so I got that going for me LOL

Ford Community Posts