Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 fiesta st overheating

zanethan

This is the most absurd thing that keeps coming up. If your dealer refuses there are certainly repercussions as a licensed dealer of Ford products. The dealer does have rules they must follow to even purchase vehicles from Ford and sell them. They are not independent dealers in the sense that they can do whatever they want and still remain a Ford dealer. You will get a rental. Period. There are only three reasons a dealer would not get you a rental;
1. It's a real shitty dealer. Don't waste your time with them because they probably already have no good relationship with Ford.
2. They are ignorant of the corporate policy. So educate them.
3. The dealer or service manager doesn't give a crap about you. See #1.

There is NO reason the dealer has to deny this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Totally agree with everything you said. I was just pointing out that one is not guaranteed as many are expecting. Also, I've had experiences with dealers that are in fact that crappy.

Should I return my coolant to 50/50 mix for the sake of returning the car in "stock" form? I have it down to 70 water/ 30 coolant and that DID help with temps
Only went up 1 bar this past event instead of 4 bars and limp mode.

redmoe

Should I return my coolant to 50/50 mix for the sake of returning the car in "stock" form? I have it down to 70 water/ 30 coolant and that DID help with temps
Only went up 1 bar this past event instead of 4 bars and limp mode.
The manual allows for 40% coolant but no less so if they check with a refractometer (per the service manual) they may take issue with it.

Also if you are taking it in 50/50 would give you the higher temps to help them acknowledge the problem.

Good point. Ill swap it out.

Ummm.. when changing back to stock spark plugs I saw this.

Yes I may or may not have used the lucas octane booster, so lets not discuss the orange stuff. What concerns me is the middle spark plug from cyl 3. It required basically no torque to remove.. somehow it had gotten loose and it looks like combustion gasses were going all the way up through the threads. Could this cause the temp spikes?

Anyways, im still going back to stock to see if I can easily replicate it. Also took out my st200 airbox and reverted to stock for the time being.

FINAL UPDATE: Well the '16 FiST is now gone. Ford agreed to buy the vehicle back and I have replaced it with a '18 FoST. I miss the FiST but won't have to stare at the coolant temp guage all day now. Both cars are fun, the FiST more untamed and raw, the FoST more.....uh....civilized, I guess. Where the FoST really differs is at highway speeds. Night and day between them at that speed, but the FiST seems more fiesty down low. Hopefully those of you having cooling problems can get it resolved. My car is going back to Ford Engineering to have them see if they can figure it out. I've offered my data and 100k of experience driving this car and they seemed interested in getting the data. I'll post anything I find out.

me32

1000 Post Club
FINAL UPDATE: Well the '16 FiST is now gone. Ford agreed to buy the vehicle back and I have replaced it with a '18 FoST. I miss the FiST but won't have to stare at the coolant temp guage all day now. Both cars are fun, the FiST more untamed and raw, the FoST more.....uh....civilized, I guess. Where the FoST really differs is at highway speeds. Night and day between them at that speed, but the FiST seems more fiesty down low. Hopefully those of you having cooling problems can get it resolved. My car is going back to Ford Engineering to have them see if they can figure it out. I've offered my data and 100k of experience driving this car and they seemed interested in getting the data. I'll post anything I find out.

Congrats on the new ride. Hopefully something will come out of it. Glad you stuck with ford.

me32

1000 Post Club
Good point. Ill swap it out.

Ummm.. when changing back to stock spark plugs I saw this.

Yes I may or may not have used the lucas octane booster, so lets not discuss the orange stuff. What concerns me is the middle spark plug from cyl 3. It required basically no torque to remove.. somehow it had gotten loose and it looks like combustion gasses were going all the way up through the threads. Could this cause the temp spikes?

Anyways, im still going back to stock to see if I can easily replicate it. Also took out my st200 airbox and reverted to stock for the time being.
Its possible. Did you use antisize?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Congrats on the new ride. Hopefully something will come out of it. Glad you stuck with ford.
Yeah, people on here put them down for being bigger, heavier, and slightly less 'razor's edge' nimble on turn-in response than our rides, but they are STILL really good cars in their own right. [thumb] [driving]

me32

1000 Post Club
Yeah, people on here put them down for being bigger, heavier, and slightly less 'razor's edge' nimble on turn-in response than our rides, but they are STILL really good cars in their own right. [thumb] [driving]
Agree with you all the way. The added HP im sure makes for a nice pull on the freeway too.

[MENTION=670]me32[/MENTION], the NGK plugs have the antiseize nickel coating on them from the factory. Ive been advised not to use more than whats on there, as it can affect torque values.

Anyways, the car has been at ford now for a couple of days. Waiting to hear back if its a warranty claim or not.

As for the FoST, its definitely the faster car. The FiST is just "arguably" more fun, definitely more tossable

[MENTION=670]me32[/MENTION], the NGK plugs have the antiseize nickel coating on them from the factory. Ive been advised not to use more than whats on there, as it can affect torque values.

Anyways, the car has been at ford now for a couple of days. Waiting to hear back if its a warranty claim or not.

As for the FoST, its definitely the faster car. The FiST is just "arguably" more fun, definitely more tossable
I wouldn't put too much worry into the plugs for this issue. That should have no bearing on a warranty claim for overheating. That would be auxh a stretch given the history and record of the 1.6 overheating.

The FoST is certainly faster, no doubt. But the fun factor is not as much. It's simply a larger car. As a city car, I'd still rather have the FiST....for highway, which is my primary drive style, the FoST just feels like its not working as hard. Completely different shifting strategy for sure. Where in the FiST, a downshift was necessary to get in a good boost position at higher speed, the FoST simply powers through in the higher gear. I still find myself in third gear around 70 cruising cuz that's the rpm (not gear) that felt right in the FiST. Other than for gas mileage, the FoST could get away with a fourspeed almost...but 6 gear pulls strong forever unlike the FiST 6 gear.
Two wonderful cars though. Just different breads.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I wouldn't put too much worry into the plugs for this issue. That should have no bearing on a warranty claim for overheating. That would be auxh a stretch given the history and record of the 1.6 overheating.

The FoST is certainly faster, no doubt. But the fun factor is not as much. It's simply a larger car. As a city car, I'd still rather have the FiST....for highway, which is my primary drive style, the FoST just feels like its not working as hard. Completely different shifting strategy for sure. Where in the FiST, a downshift was necessary to get in a good boost position at higher speed, the FoST simply powers through in the higher gear. I still find myself in third gear around 70 cruising cuz that's the rpm (not gear) that felt right in the FiST. Other than for gas mileage, the FoST could get away with a fourspeed almost...but 6 gear pulls strong forever unlike the FiST 6 gear.
Two wonderful cars though. Just different breads.

I love the FiST for the highway. Cruising in 6th at 80 I'm at 3k RPM and have ALL the passing power. Never had to downshift once on my 24 hour drive to Long Island.

I love the FiST for the highway. Cruising in 6th at 80 I'm at 3k RPM and have ALL the passing power. Never had to downshift once on my 24 hour drive to Long Island.
I hear ya...I can tell you from experience. There is no comparison in the two. The First pulls HARD in 6th....the FiST not so much...you have to drive them both side by side to feel the difference...just sayin...

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I hear ya...I can tell you from experience. There is no comparison in the two. The First pulls HARD in 6th....the FiST not so much...you have to drive them both side by side to feel the difference...just sayin...

Oh I have. I've driven the FiST, FoST, and FoRS. Still chose the FiST just because of the fun factor like you have previously mentioned and at the time I didn't want to spend $40k+ for a Focus. Comparing that price to the price I got my brand new 15 mile FiST at last year, which was $20,300 fully loaded besides sunroof, was a no brainer. My commute and just daily driving in general is around town so the highway isn't something I see often on a daily basis.

I'm sorry you where one of the people plagued with the cooling issues. Not all have it but I know it sucks ass.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Same here. 6th gear is all you ever need on the highway, even for aggressive or overambitious passing.

Im in miami fl. Yesterday I experienced the traffic from hell.....almost 2 hours of stop and go traffic......4 people on the car..AC blasting in 100 degree weather...Car overheat chime came on..scared bejesus out of me...was i bar from the H temp..turned off AC..temeprature went back down to normal...checked coolant...it looks at normal level...i have Cobb stage 1 tune....What do you guys think??? Issue with something and take it to dealer or just terrible consditions??? Please feedback..

redmoe

Im in miami fl. Yesterday I experienced the traffic from hell.....almost 2 hours of stop and go traffic......4 people on the car..AC blasting in 100 degree weather...Car overheat chime came on..scared bejesus out of me...was i bar from the H temp..turned off AC..temeprature went back down to normal...checked coolant...it looks at normal level...i have Cobb stage 1 tune....What do you guys think??? Issue with something and take it to dealer or just terrible consditions??? Please feedback..
Since you have an AP I would monitor your daily coolant temps for awhile to get a feel for how hot it is running on average.

Ford Community Posts