Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 fiesta st overheating

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So what's the verdict with Water Wetter? Seems to have great reviews and I would be happy with 10 degree lower temps on my '17. I was hitting 211 with the temp at only 62 outside this week, so I even drilled 1/2" holes in the lower solid portion of the grille and has seemed to help a little, cooling down a bit quicker once moving, of course... This will be my 2nd summer with the car, it has almost 20k now so don't want to flush the coolant just yet, so a 12 oz. bottle should be fine I hope, $10 on Amazon... Also, why are people worrying about oil temps when full synthetic doesn't even begin to lower protection until at least 260? Especially when our coolant temps seem to climb quick and we will hit limp mode at 240...
Danbfree hit me up I have like 5 Bottles of this Nano water wetter stuff I can give you a bottle if you want. ill take pics of it and show you what is if your interested! Pm me! For free! [party]

green_henry

1000 Post Club
So what's the verdict with Water Wetter? Seems to have great reviews and I would be happy with 10 degree lower temps on my '17. I was hitting 211 with the temp at only 62 outside this week, so I even drilled 1/2" holes in the lower solid portion of the grille and has seemed to help a little, cooling down a bit quicker once moving, of course... This will be my 2nd summer with the car, it has almost 20k now so don't want to flush the coolant just yet, so a 12 oz. bottle should be fine I hope, $10 on Amazon... Also, why are people worrying about oil temps when full synthetic doesn't even begin to lower protection until at least 260? Especially when our coolant temps seem to climb quick and we will hit limp mode at 240...
Red Line fluids are very good. I ran Water Wetter in my previous car, and I've been using it in the FiST since I upgraded the radiator. I don't have an AccessPort to monitor temperatures. but I have had zero issues and have tracked the car in 100F+ heat several times.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Red Line fluids are very good. I ran Water Wetter in my previous car, and I've been using it in the FiST since I upgraded the radiator. I don't have an AccessPort to monitor temperatures. but I have had zero issues and have tracked the car in 100F+ heat several times.
Oh man, would love to know the temp difference but good to gear it's caused zero issues... Some guy on one of the FB groups claims you can't use it in Fords and VW's, LOL.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Oh man, would love to know the temp difference but good to gear it's caused zero issues... Some guy on one of the FB groups claims you can't use it in Fords and VW's, LOL.
Yeah, I've read about it gumming up ... whatever ... but I ran it for a few years in my Acura and it's been in the FiST since last June -- so far, so good! I think some folks may be using too much -- for the FiST, the recommended mix ended up being less than a bottle.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Danbfree hit me up I have like 5 Bottles of this Nano water wetter stuff I can give you a bottle if you want. ill take pics of it and show you what is if your interested! Pm me! For free! [party]
I found it on Amazon, not Prime but at least got to see it... But man, I've already spent $10 on the Water Wetter and they claim 20-30 degree temp drops, so when it helps by only 10 degrees I'll be happy! LOL

So yeah, had I known before, I would have hit you up for sure but it's already shipped, thanks anyway man!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yeah, I've read about it gumming up ... whatever ... but I ran it for a few years in my Acura and it's been in the FiST since last June -- so far, so good! I think some folks may be using too much -- for the FiST, the recommended mix ended up being less than a bottle.
OK, interesting... I only have a 12oz bottle coming, I'll read the directions and all that!

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I had the 180* put in when I had the engine replaced, and I had it out for one track day after. I made it 3-4 laps before it overheated, if you plan on doing any kind of competition (or even something like tail of the dragon, my shit overheated there too) you need a radiator upgrade. The water wetter only does so much and often 10* cooler just isn't enough.

IIRC we do not have a legitimate coolant temperature sensor, just the one in the cylinder head that calculates coolant temps based on cylinder head temp. So seeing 10* cooler on your AP may or may not be accurate at all.

koozy

3000 Post Club
OE stock thermostat is 194F for 2014-2019, there was no change for later model years.

The '14-15 cars affected by the recall receive a 180F thermostat if the recall is performed.

207F is temp that the 194F thermostat if 'fully open', but it's still considered a 194F thermostat.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I had the 180* put in when I had the engine replaced, and I had it out for one track day after. I made it 3-4 laps before it overheated, if you plan on doing any kind of competition (or even something like tail of the dragon, my shit overheated there too) you need a radiator upgrade. The water wetter only does so much and often 10* cooler just isn't enough.

IIRC we do not have a legitimate coolant temperature sensor, just the one in the cylinder head that calculates coolant temps based on cylinder head temp. So seeing 10* cooler on your AP may or may not be accurate at all.
It's oil temp that's calculated from an algorithm, never heard of the coolant not having a legit one... and any lower temp from the peak is fine and will help.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
OE stock thermostat is 194F for 2014-2019, there was no change for later model years.

The '14-15 cars affected by the recall receive a 180F thermostat if the recall is performed.

207F is temp that the 194F thermostat if 'fully open', but it's still considered a 194F thermostat.
Can you clarify what you mean? If they all have the same 194 degree thermostat, how are the recall effected cars different then? Not a legit sensor like was mentioned above? I know that a new sensor is part of the recall fix...

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I found it on Amazon, not Prime but at least got to see it... But man, I've already spent $10 on the Water Wetter and they claim 20-30 degree temp drops, so when it helps by only 10 degrees I'll be happy! LOL

So yeah, had I known before, I would have hit you up for sure but it's already shipped, thanks anyway man!
Red Line claims 20*F-30*F drops in temp when using their product in otherwise 100% pure water.

It may not even drop the temps by 10* in any kind of coolant mixture whatsoever (like even a 70% water to 30% coolant mix). [:(]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Red Line claims 20*F-30*F drops in temp when using their product in otherwise 100% pure water.

It may not even drop the temps by 10* in any kind of coolant mixture whatsoever (like even a 70% water to 30% coolant mix). [:(]
Whatever, it's all good, for $10 if it helps at all I'll be happy... Everyone seems to keep talking about pure water but Redline has no mention of that at all, so again, whatever, I''ll guess I'll find out.

Edit: OK, found their white paper and yep, about half the drop in coolant than pure water... I'm OK with that. Also, definitely only going to use half the bottle. We have a 6.5 qt cooling system and a full bottle treats 12-16 qts..
https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/files/tech/WaterWetter Tech Info.pdf

Long story short, adding Water Wetter to 50/50 mix will result in temp drops as the same as running JUST water... While adding Water Wetter to plain water resulted in an additional 18 degree drop from the all water baseline.

Last edited:

koozy

3000 Post Club
Recall 17S09 - Coolant Level Sensor System is for affect '14-15MY, Fords attempt to appease NHTSA. It's not a fix, it's a warning system. The recall includes a coolant level sensor, new expansion tank and hoses to accommodate the sensor, 180F thermostat and updated software to account for the new sensor. The 180F thermostat alone should prevent possible overheating issues, not the level sensor. A 180F thermostat would help Ford reduce the likelihood of owners experiencing overheating issues. There's numerous accounts of 2016MY+ owners experiencing overheating issues...

2016MY+ do not have a coolant level sensor. People should wonder why...

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Recall 17S09 - Coolant Level Sensor System is for affect '14-15MY, Fords attempt to appease NHTSA. It's not a fix, it's a warning system. The recall includes a coolant level sensor, new expansion tank and hoses to accommodate the sensor, 180F thermostat and updated software to account for the new sensor. The 180F thermostat alone should prevent possible overheating issues, not the level sensor. A 180F thermostat would help Ford reduce the likelihood of owners experiencing overheating issues. There's numerous accounts of 2016MY+ owners experiencing overheating issues...

2016MY+ do not have a coolant level sensor. People should wonder why...
OK, so what changed in mid '15 then so they aren't recalled? This doesn't make any sense. Just having rubber hoses keeps them from cracking and doesn't warrant a recall the only difference?

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's oil temp that's calculated from an algorithm, never heard of the coolant not having a legit one... and any lower temp from the peak is fine and will help.
You are right. My mistake I was thinking of the oil temp. ECT sensor is located on the side of the cylinder head over the transmission on the coolant neck.

I mean depending on where you live it may or may not be beneficial. If you're looking at it from a "spirited driving" / daily point of view it may have some benefit, but changing your coolant / water mix might help too. From a motorsport perspective, upgrading the radiator is the only option.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
You are right. My mistake I was thinking of the oil temp. ECT sensor is located on the side of the cylinder head over the transmission on the coolant neck.

I mean depending on where you live it may or may not be beneficial. If you're looking at it from a "spirited driving" / daily point of view it may have some benefit, but changing your coolant / water mix might help too. From a motorsport perspective, upgrading the radiator is the only option.
Definitely agree with this... it rarely hits 100 where I live, I can only say from one summer of experience that I did hit 224 coolant temp while idling at the drive thru in 105 degree heat with the AC on... And not sure if you saw it above but I edited my comment and linked the White Paper for Water Wetter and essentially adding it to a 50/50 mix makes it perform like water alone, while adding it to just water helped the temps an additional 18 degrees... so maybe for the guys who track a lot in the summer it can be quite effective when running pure water, you'd just want to drain it out back to 50/50 when the cold weather hits. For places like Florida where it VERY rarely freezes, even just about never in S. FL, you could get away running it year round in just water.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Definitely agree with this... it rarely hits 100 where I live, I can only say from one summer of experience that I did hit 224 coolant temp while idling at the drive thru in 105 degree heat with the AC on... And not sure if you saw it above but I edited my comment and linked the White Paper for Water Wetter and essentially adding it to a 50/50 mix makes it perform like water alone, while adding it to just water helped the temps an additional 18 degrees... so maybe for the guys who track a lot in the summer it can be quite effective when running pure water, you'd just want to drain it out back to 50/50 when the cold weather hits. For places like Florida where it VERY rarely freezes, even just about never in S. FL, you could get away running it year round in just water.
Honestly most of the cars down here don't bother with the radiator upgrade, there are only 3-4 FiSTs that regularly hit the track and mine is one of them. Most of the people just daily it and beat on it on the street or run the 1/4 mile, they never see temps over 220. I regularly hit 230 with the heat on full blast a few laps in to a track day, with the mishimoto radiators we tend to see nothing over 190, but we also haven't had the cars out in mid summer yet. Oil temps sit around 210 with the rad and 235 without. A few people here switched off the Ford stuff entirely and now run green coolant or the purple stuff from Audi/VW, they have never overheated but they also dont beat their cars.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Honestly most of the cars down here don't bother with the radiator upgrade, there are only 3-4 FiSTs that regularly hit the track and mine is one of them. Most of the people just daily it and beat on it on the street or run the 1/4 mile, they never see temps over 220. I regularly hit 230 with the heat on full blast a few laps in to a track day, with the mishimoto radiators we tend to see nothing over 190, but we also haven't had the cars out in mid summer yet. Oil temps sit around 210 with the rad and 235 without. A few people here switched off the Ford stuff entirely and now run green coolant or the purple stuff from Audi/VW, they have never overheated but they also dont beat their cars.
Interesting, but why don't you guys down there try straight water with Water Wetter as a year round thing? And oil is definitely a non-issue, you are looking at 260+ before full synthetic even starts to decline in protection properties, and those temps stay down with those other cooling system upgrades too... Also, there is the Mountune radiator too, personally I'd trust that one a bit more... Anyway, good discussion, I've learned a bit more for sure, but definitely doesn't help when the stock rad is a single row core that only holds a gallon and a half for the whole cooling system, sheesh...