Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 fiesta st overheating

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Antifreeze contains a significant amount of additives to help protect your water pump, and prevent corrosion. Some of those additives claim they do the same thing protect the water pump help prevent corrosion, but I don't know if they're going to work the way the OEM antifreeze does. Antifreeze does more than just prevent freezing.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^TRUE, as I do not believe that they contain even HALF ENOUGH of the anti-corrosives, water pump lube, and acid neutralizers of a name brand coolant. :(

Jerickson88

I've had zero issues out of my '16 overheating. I'm putting it out for a track event in two weeks, so we will see.

Is this core size related?

I will pull the trigger on a Whoosh V2 IC when they are back in stock. Does the grill shave help with cooling at all?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
^^^TRUE, as I do not believe that they contain even HALF ENOUGH of the anti-corrosives, water pump lube, and acid neutralizers of a name brand coolant. :(
It must have been one of the few people I have set to ignore, but if they said it's not safe for your cooling system to use Water Wetter alone, it clearly sounds like it has a concentrated amount of lubricants and rust inhibitors to use alone with water. Pretty sure their white paper addresses this, but I'd have to take a closer look... Edit: Yep, although it contains those additives, they still recommend a minimum of 15% antifreeze to go along with it.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I've had zero issues out of my '16 overheating. I'm putting it out for a track event in two weeks, so we will see.

Is this core size related?

I will pull the trigger on a Whoosh V2 IC when they are back in stock. Does the grill shave help with cooling at all?
Yes, I noticed I clearly have lower temps just drilling 1/2" holes in my lower grill where it's solid. Mainly helps with helping those peaks down, even sitting and not moving.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
OK, just got home and it had been delivered so I put in half a bottle... it says right on it they recommend a minimum 15% antifreeze for daily street cars, makes sense to me, that's what I'd do If I lived where it rarely or never gets below freezing.

Jerickson88

Yes, I noticed I clearly have lower temps just drilling 1/2" holes in my lower grill where it's solid. Mainly helps with helping those peaks down, even sitting and not moving.
I'll just hit it with a good ole flap wheel when I install the V2. Will I notice a difference with a lower temp tstat and water wetter, or is this problem only solved with larger core radiator

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I'll just hit it with a good ole flap wheel when I install the V2. Will I notice a difference with a lower temp tstat and water wetter, or is this problem only solved with larger core radiator
I have heard that's the way to go, I've never done that so I went ghetto, LOL... Water Wetter, thermostat and the holes will all add up to help a little, but prob not enough for tracking hard in the heat.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
OK, so added the half bottle of Water Wetter last night and VERY early results from my one commute into work is that it DEFINITELY helps! My car was slower to warm up and hit about 10 degrees cooler on peak after the bits of pulls I got to do... So for $10 with enough for 2 fills I think it's worth it... but for you guys who want to track where it's hot, you'll also have to do the lower temp thermostat and maybe some grill work too to even possibly get away without a radiator upgrade. Now, as far as slower to warm up, you would think that it wouldn't matter, but with the stuff in there the coolant simply dissipates heat even just sitting there around the block not flowing yet... Again, SUPER early to fully judge but I think it's safe to say there is SOME benefit to it for $5 per coolant fill.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Even in the hot Southeast you can still get single-digit temperatures in the winter. 50/50 protection works for me.

Jerickson88

Even in the hot Southeast you can still get single-digit temperatures in the winter. 50/50 protection works for me.

Lol true that. Of course I'm about to be in the hot soup air down here.

ROCKYFiestta

I used this thing today put half the bottle in hope it does what the water wetter does

https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-ROY01600-PURPLE-COOLANT/dp/B000BRGAJ2/ref=asc_df_B000BRGAJ2/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583451663395587&psc=1

TemecFist

Heres what I use, and I've never overheated once, even on very hot (100*+) track days here in SoCal.
Mountune radiator, open grill, 1 bottle of water wetter, and a 70/30 mix of water to coolant and Whoosh V1 IC.
I would like to try the 180* thermostat tho.