Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 39 of 56 FirstFirst ... 29313233343536373839404142434445464749 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 fiesta st overheating
180 Likes

Member 113 Rep Points
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Sorry man, it mentiona radiator upgrades under street touring. And nobody would dispute the thermostat because its allowed... but if it werent you are right.. it would be hard to prove. I hear the weight of guilt slows you down on course though..

Senior Member 1225 Rep Points M-Sport fan's Avatar

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points  
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
    Speculation.
    YES, this!^^^

IF it is running on max speed most of the time, I'm guessing that would shorten it's life, no?
    Magnetic 2016 Fiesta ST base model

Member 55 Rep Points

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points  
    State
    LA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ranger024x4 View Post
    I saw 240 on the ap once, didnt go into limp mode.
    245 F for limp mode. 189 F for thermostat starting to open, 207 F for full open. Anything past 207 F indicated the radiator is maxed out.

Senior Member 258 Rep Points me32's Avatar

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points  
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by M-Sport fan View Post
    YES, this!^^^

IF it is running on max speed most of the time, I'm guessing that would shorten it's life, no?
    In general turning off and on wears things out faster than it just running at high speed.
    2008 Shelby GT500
    2921 out of 6513 coupes
    132 of 314 Alloy Metallic
    Shelby Dash Plaque,FRPP TVS Super power pack ,Drag Pack,SVT handling pack,FRPP Cobra Jet TB/MAF/80lb injectors,J&M UCA,LCA,Adj.PHB,SFC,PH A/D,O/R H, DynoMax 3in,CHE, Shelby Rad/HE,VMP 2.59,KB BAP,L&M plenum,BMR KMEMEBER,AED CUSTOM RETURN STYLE FUEL SYSTEM.
    91/E85 tune by SHAUN AT AED
    700HP/700TQ ON E85
    10.78 @ 129MPH 1.644 60FT

2014 Fiesta ST Green Envy Tricoat SOLD
    2014 Tuxedo Black Fusion

Senior Member 454 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes

I did some informal testing yesterday. Ambient temperature was 98F. In City driving my water temp was up to 235, especially while sitting at a red light. My AC was on and according to the Accessport, the fans were at 92%. I then tried with AC off and because it took me awhile to figure out how to use the video function on my dang phone, there was a few minutes of AC off and believe it or not the coolant temp dropped to 205 and stayed there. As soon as I turned the AC back on the coolant temp immediately started to pick up again. I drove a few more miles and it stabilized around 220, so I tried one more time and turned the AC off. Sure enough the temperature slowly dropped down to about 207. When I turn to the AC back on, temps slowly climbed to about 220 again and again they stayed there.

I will have to get this on video next time, and perhaps maybe have a more consistent test procedure not affected by traffic lights. I will probably try to my driveway, and I can also test to see how quickly coolant temp will drop when I turn on the heater.

Frankly, I'm not surprised that coolant temps shoot up when I turn the AC on. The cooling system is already taxed more by my larger intercooler. And with the AC on, the air is heated even more going through the condenser, before it goes through the radiator.

On a side note I did get it up to 4 bars on the gauge. I quickly grabbed my accessport and plugged it in but by the time it loaded it was down to three bars and temp was 232. It's weird because later on while I was monitoring the temp did go back up to 235 but it stayed at two bars. It's very inconsistent what each bar means.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Senior Member 351 Rep Points

Member #
    Medals
    State
    OH
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by M-Sport fan View Post
    YES, this!^^^

Seriously doubt that there would be any problems with durability in a modern electric fan. Electric motors are extremely reliable, with exception to power windows because they're routinely undersized (read: cheap) for the task.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaendeau View Post
    245 F for limp mode. 189 F for thermostat starting to open, 207 F for full open. .........
    Great info.

Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20 View Post
    I did some informal testing yesterday. Ambient temperature was 98F. In City driving my water temp was up to 235, especially while sitting at a red light. My AC was on and according to the Accessport, the fans were at 92%. I then tried with AC off and because it took me awhile to figure out how to use the video function on my dang phone, there was a few minutes of AC off and believe it or not the coolant temp dropped to 205 and stayed there. As soon as I turned the AC back on the coolant temp immediately started to pick up again. I drove a few more miles and it stabilized around 220, so I tried one more time and turned the AC off. Sure enough the temperature slowly dropped down to about 207. When I turn to the AC back on, temps slowly climbed to about 220 again and again they stayed there.

I will have to get this on video next time, and perhaps maybe have a more consistent test procedure not affected by traffic lights. I will probably try to my driveway, and I can also test to see how quickly coolant temp will drop when I turn on the heater.

Frankly, I'm not surprised that coolant temps shoot up when I turn the AC on. The cooling system is already taxed more by my larger intercooler. And with the AC on, the air is heated even more going through the condenser, before it goes through the radiator.

On a side note I did get it up to 4 bars on the gauge. I quickly grabbed my accessport and plugged it in but by the time it loaded it was down to three bars and temp was 232. It's weird because later on while I was monitoring the temp did go back up to 235 but it stayed at two bars. It's very inconsistent what each bar means.

Not only is all the heat in the cabin being cycled into the engine, but the engine has to work significantly harder to run the compressor. A prior vehicle had an A/C compressor relay fail. In anticipation of the missing load, the engine RPM would double the normal idle RPM. Of course, when the relay worked and the compressor engaged, RPMs stayed normal.
    2016 Ford Fiesta ST Kona Blue ; Engine, Suspension will remain untouched ; Southwest Ohio ; Winter: 215/45R17 Continental ; Seasonal: 205/40R17 Bridgestone

New Member 15 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So...to those who believe it's a fluke and statistically improbable....my 2016 FiST is in the shop for...wait....OVERHEATING... completely stock. But that's not all. This is my SECOND FiST with an overheating problem. I've written alot here about my 2014 FiST that started overheating @20k then the dealer could never diagnose only to find 3K after the drivetrain warranty expired that I had the dreaded cylinder 3 coolant issue. Engine was replaced only to have it too start overheating. Sold car at a major loss and purchased my current 2016. This one now started overheating at around 18k and now sits at the shop after limp mode three times in ambient temps of 95, 90 and 87 degrees. I will keep y'all posted on the outcome but this has no gotten to where I am unable to drive in ambient temps over 85 in traffic. I have been able to grab some data with Forscan that shows the intake air temp spikes to 150 degrees which overwhelms the cooling system. Coolant spikes to 245+.

Senior Member 1225 Rep Points M-Sport fan's Avatar

Member #
    Medals
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am going to have to drive around with my kiwi wifi OBD2/OLDER iPod with the Dash Command app constantly hooked up and on to coolant temp (I own an AP, but I will not leave it IN the car, hooked up, as some do, since this is WAY TOO tempting), since I have a Skid Plate Guy plate on it's way to me, and unless someone knows. or can tell me otherwise, I cannot see how that can help this issue.

I sense a Mountune radiator in my near future.
    Magnetic 2016 Fiesta ST base model

Senior Member 454 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish Ron carried the mountune radiator and not just the mishimoto. Any other good vendors I should get the mountune from instead of ordering direct?

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    State
    TN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20 View Post
    I wish Ron carried the mountune radiator and not just the mishimoto. Any other good vendors I should get the mountune from instead of ordering direct?

Try Ford Performance dealers like Levittown Ford. I got my MP-215 at a $200 discount from them a couple of years ago. My 16 has never seen anything over "normal" with the MP-215 no matter what the ambient temp or hard driving. I have yet to hear of MP-215 cars overheating on hard driving.

2016 White Platinum, Moonroof.

Mountune MP215, Resonator delete, max legal tint, Sound Symposer delete, Yellow Lamin X fogs, Damond Motorsports OCC,Yellow Brake Calipers, Mountune Yellow shifter, Yellow ST tags.

Page 39 of 56 FirstFirst ... 29313233343536373839404142434445464749 ... LastLast