Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 fiesta st overheating

I can see it but engine is hot and might be able to stick my phone on the side and take a picture.

redmoe

8005 fat fingered the number. It was starting to get into the 230s while sitting for 10 plus minutes in 100 deg weather. So I upgraded the radiator to a Mountune unit. Never went into limp mode but didn’t like having to watch the coolant temps like a hawk.

8005 fat fingered the number. It was starting to get into the 230s while sitting for 10 plus minutes in 100 deg weather. So I upgraded the radiator to a Mountune unit. Never went into limp mode but didn’t like having to watch the coolant temps like a hawk.
On flat I can go hard with no issues even in 30-40C weather, the minute I hit a hill for say 1KM the temps rise fast and gone into limp and had the you're fucked light/chime go off. Ford did fuck all to fix it, so last FORD vehicle here.

Last edited:

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
On flat I can go hard with no issues even in 30-40C weather, the minute I hit a hill for say 1KM the temps rise fast and gone into limp and had the you're fucked light/chime go off. Ford did fuck, so last FORD vehicle here.
I just ordered a radiator from Rockauto, the box says C1BZ-8005-A but the radiator is stamped C1BY-8005-A which is what I have now. I don’t want to swap it out and have the same problem all over again. Going to return in and probably go with Mountunes radiator. Same here first Ford and last. Thinking about just getting rid of it and building my Evo. Never had a problem with that and I beat the crap out of it.

I just ordered a radiator from Rockauto, the box says C1BZ-8005-A but the radiator is stamped C1BY-8005-A which is what I have now. I don’t want to swap it out and have the same problem all over again. Going to return in and probably go with Mountunes radiator. Same here first Ford and last. Thinking about just getting rid of it and building my Evo. Never had a problem with that and I beat the crap out of it.
My plan is to get the Mountune one in the next month or so. I'm already past my warranty so have to do something if I want to travel this summer.

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
My plan is to get the Mountune one in the next month or so. I'm already past my warranty so have to do something if I want to travel this summer.
Same here, the weather was fine until I went over 36k then it began to get hot and have to watch the temps. I live in SoCal and have to travel 60 miles home in the evening when it’s the hottest and it’s not fun seeing the temps climb in traffic.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Does anyone make much higher CFM flowing fans than stock for these cars whether for the factory setup, OR aftermarket radiators, for those who must sit in 100*F+ temps in traffic? [dunno]

redmoe

Does anyone make much higher CFM flowing fans than stock for these cars whether for the factory setup, OR aftermarket radiators, for those who must sit in 100*F+ temps in traffic? [dunno]
I haven’t seen any fan upgrades but Mountune and Mishimoto make upgraded radiators. I installed the Mountune a couple of weeks ago and it made a huge difference. Cruising temps barely ever exceed 187 (with the ac full blast) and I have barely broken 200 sitting stationary for 10 plus minutes with the ac on full. This is all in 100 degree weather.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I haven’t seen any fan upgrades but Mountune and Mishimoto make upgraded radiators. I installed the Mountune a couple of weeks ago and it made a huge difference. Cruising temps barely ever exceed 187 (with the ac full blast) and I have barely broken 200 sitting stationary for 10 plus minutes with the ac on full. This is all in 100 degree weather.
Yes, I plan on going with a Mountune radiator as well eventually (unless other companies jump into the fray, unlikely given the dead status of the car here now [:(] ).

But higher capacity fans could help out even those with the upgraded aftermarket radiators while sitting in those 25 mile long, barely moving, with NO exits anywhere, jams. ;)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Or having a Tuner if possible change the Run time of the Fans or come on sooner than later. Like I've said before I had another vehicle that had it done....huge drop in temps.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Same here, the weather was fine until I went over 36k then it began to get hot and have to watch the temps. I live in SoCal and have to travel 60 miles home in the evening when it’s the hottest and it’s not fun seeing the temps climb in traffic.
I actually have 0 problems in traffic in 40C or 104F and I had beat on it all day long just I hit a hill and everything goes to shit. I even had a video of it and the you're fucked alarm went off, took it to dealer, they had "Ford" expert come in and still said no problems found. I was like FU that's ignorant even when you see the video of the alarm going off. I really like the car and will keep it as got it on the day I broke up with my wife LOL so finance the shit out of it. But I should have kept my 2011 Yaris and I think I'm getting another one and do a engine swap.

Intuit

3000 Post Club

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Are you also inferring that the higher fan speeds (and therefore higher loads on the alternator) can also help raise the coolant temp even more as well, since the engine must work harder to spin the loaded alternator? [dunno]

REGARDLESS of the above, an interior mounted, MANUAL OVER-RIDE switch (NOT just a 'jumper wire') for the fan is looking better ALL of the time, IF that is even possible with our ECMs/systems. ;)

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Are you also inferring that the higher fan speeds (and therefore higher loads on the alternator) can also help raise the coolant temp even more as well, since the engine must work harder to spin the loaded alternator? [dunno]

REGARDLESS of the above, an interior mounted, MANUAL OVER-RIDE switch (NOT just a 'jumper wire') for the fan is looking better ALL of the time, IF that is even possible with our ECMs/systems. ;)
Fan at 220 is 25% duty cycle. Fan at 230 is 100% duty cycle.
Unfortunately this isn't like the old cars where we could simply wire-up a flip-switch on the fan relay.
Unfortunately PWM fans can't be run on on straight DC. The switching circuits that drive variable speed PWM fans are a lot more efficient and cost less to manufacture. It's also very likely that the ECU is getting some feedback on fan activation and speed.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
But there should be no reason why a proficient tuner could not set the fan to come on at 100% duty cycle at whatever desired coolant temp by writing it into a tune's program, correct?

Again, this is one of the things I liked about the Diablosport Predator hand held for my Z28 (as poor as the 'canned' tunes contained in it were, and how hard it was to find a decent tuner to work with their CMR custom tune system), an owner could set the fans to whatever they wanted, as a stand alone adjustment, independent of and regardless of the tune in the ECM at the time.

Is there something about OUR systems (encryptions/etc.) which prevents Cobb from including the same customer adjustable fan settings above for our platform on their hand held AP, without having the Pro Tuner 'writing' software?

Went to the closest dealer to me and that's the one I brought the car in last time and had a service rep that was receptive. So I'm feeling a bit stupid as he said the car has a 100K KM 5 year power train warranty (now I knew my 2007 F150 had it back in the day) besides the 60K KM bumper to bumper one but the dealer I bought it from told me 60K KM warranty.

Anyways I talked to him about my coolant res going low and about the latest recall and about my last overheat visit. He actually listened to what I was saying and agreed to set up a test drive on a hot day and up a long uphill road which is where the car overheats. He also understood that the car doesn't overheat on cooler days and on straight away's and would be a waste of time to test it like last time in late Sept.

So just have to wait for the next hot day (25C+) and get it in for the test. Hopefully will get it sorted and a list of the issue and parts needed.

Last edited:
Overheated today.

4th run of Autocross. Over 90*F. Had been soaking my intercooler and radiator with a sprayer between runs.

Occurred in the last section of the course, felt like there was no power for roughly 5 seconds before the finish line. Immediately, during the course, I looked down. No check engine light, no other warnings. But then after I crossed the finish, the temp light came on for roughly 2 seconds then shut off. After that the car seemed to be back to normal.

So.. looking like a radiator upgrade soon. Someone asked about high powered fans, I use Spal fans on my boosted NA and the amount of airflow around those fans is impressive to say the least. I can audibly hear them kick on, and they draw so much power the RPMs can fluctuate slightly. But, they keep my temps below 205*F unless I stop, but I've never seen anything above 215*F in that car.

Are there oils that offer better cooling or coolants?