Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

411 on getting the most from an Accessport daily driving

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hey folks,

Please share your knowledge to help me out. During the custom tuning process I finally mounted my AP. As we all know it can do many things. I would like to hear your ideas for how you use your AP during daily driving.....monitoring boost pressure, comparing ambient to charge to intake temps, OAR, whatever 3 or 4 or 5 gauges you keep your AP set to monitor. Let me know the what and the why of what you tend to monitor on a daily basis, it would help.

Thanks!

This is a very subjective question. I have 6 guages showing and always hooked up. I have it mounted down low just left of the shifter.
I have experimented with many different guages but come back to the same 6.
boost AFR
oil temp Water temp
air charge temp wheel torque.

These 6 can tell a story of how the car is running at any given time.
Whenever I get to were I am going I take a quick look at them just to keep a running total in my head.
summer is coming to south Florida and the heat is on so keeping track of the numbers is important to me.

Chuckable

Randy from Mountune recommended to me always having the following showing:

Octane adjust learn ratio
Ignition advance/retard for all 4 cylinders

That leaves 1 of the 6 spots left and I use it for coolant temp or oil temp.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
When not tuning, my daily-driven setup:

AFR / Load Actual
Vehicle Speed / Ign Corr Cyl 1
Coolant Temp / Oil Temp

Siestarider

AFR / Load Actual
Vehicle Speed / Ign Corr Cyl 1
Coolant Temp / Oil Temp

I use same as Dyno, but Charge air temp instead of load. I keep CAT, coolant and oil temps in that order top to bottom on left side of AP for fast and easy reference on track. Mine is always on, mounted top right dash by vent.

What are considered danger zones for those numbers:

Ign corr cyl 1
Coolant temp
Oil temp
AFR

What temp pulls timing? The CAT? Intake?

dyn085

2000 Post Club

Ign corr cyl 1
Coolant temp
Oil temp
AFR

There aren't any 'danger zones' per se. If you're seeing excessive and repeatable negative ignition corrections, something needs to be adjusted. That could be mechanical, fuel, or tune-related, but you would have to troubleshoot to see. Coolant is measured and oil temps are inferred, but both are a good way to know when you can safely boost without adding excessive wear. AFR isn't necessarily beneficial to look at once you're aware that all of your parameters are safe, but it's pretty active so it's fun to look at.

No temp pulls timing, only knock does. Everything else is a compensation that's factored into the timing tables for your final ignition timing.

99% of the time mine stays in the glovebox. I only plug it in when I do datalogs. For me having all the numbers while driving distract from the enjoyment of the drive. I prefer to pour over the data out of the car.

Ign corr cyl 1
Coolant temp
Oil temp
AFR

Like [MENTION=930]dyn085[/MENTION] said, they're mostly all "it depends", but as a general rule of thumb:

Not Positive correction
>100C
>120C, though most full syn oils can handle upward of 140C without trouble.
Depends, 1.0 lambda in cruise, and somewhere between 0.8 and 0.9 lambda at WOT depending on RPM

Too high a CAT will limit torque request, IIRC

AzNightmare

boost / charge temp
ambient air temp / est torque
intake temp / oil temp

AP mounted right in between the tach and speedometer gauges.
Becomes part of my gauge cluster. lol

Speed - Our speedo is kind of confusing at a glance.
Current Gear - I glance at this all the time. My only gripe is when you are in N it says 15/15. We do not have 15 gears!
Oil Temp - I wait until at least 150 to stomp the accelerator.
Coolant Temp - I don't use this much, just can't think of another metric I want to look at.
Boost Pressure - Oh yeah... Always searching for that 26psi!
Charge Temp - To check my IC soak. I get ambient temps from the thermometer on Sync screen.

A/P mounted to the left of the Sync screen.