Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tuning your Audio System in your Fiesta

First I think it's great that your upgrading your system. I. Teaming up with Chicago slick and jmrtsus to help people get the best advice on upgrading their sound system. I take the audio experience very seriously. I think it's a personal experience and it's different for everyone. With that said I would encourage you to ask those two the same question so you get a well rounded answer to your question. Let them know I sent you their way ������

I do want to say this. Picking speakers from a car stereo is tough because the environment is not the same as it will be in the car. The displays are just junk at best for enclosures. With that said if you head a set of speakers and they sounded good in the display you can bet they will great in the car. I have not heard that specific set but alone makes great stuff and great sounding speakers. I forget sometimes.

As for line driver the audio control lc2i is a favorite of mine.

As for the sound stream amps. Back in the day when they were made here when I was judging I could tell when I was hearing a soundstream amp over any other amp. They had a really unique sound very different from every thing else. As for their new stuff, I don't know. I know it's not the same company and their stuff is made overseas like everybody else. Is that bad? Probably not. It's really all we have to work with right? The soundstream stuff looks really good on paper. I would one off eBay to save some money and try it out. If it doesn't work sound wise your not out a lot of money. I don't remember if they participate in cea or not. Cea makes sure that what they say their amps are putting out they really are putting out.

I hope that helps and reach out to the other two guys to get their opinion so that you get options to choose from.
It's been a few years since I have used Alpine speakers. So I cannot say much about their current units. I usually do not trust the sound boards at audio shops or stores selling speakers. They rarely sound the same once installed in a vehicle. Also, be careful with trusting the sound, as some places will add other speakers or amplified power to the equation and you not even know it and that will have a huge impact on what you are hearing. Read the reviews if they exist and try and get the best overall picture of their quality and sound. With all of that being said, they probably will be good as Alpine has a great reputation.

I agree with antartica24 on using the LC2i. I had great success using it in my original upgrade. I would consider it one of the best LOC. You may also consider PAC Audio for an LOC. I have not used them before, but have heard many good comments about their units.

Soundstream amps were great back in the day. I cannot speak to how they are today. If you can get one reasonably then go for it. I probably would spend a little bit and get an Alpine, Pioneer, JL or RF. You will probably not be let down with one of those if set up correctly. If I’m not mistaken CEA certifications or testing generally does not apply to amps driving 4ohms and above, but I could be wrong. I only state this because you may not see CEA ratings with some amps.

Note:
Something that is not discussed as much as it should be is cabling (power, ground, RCA, speaker wiring, general wiring). As previously stated by antartcia24, one of the things that Antarctica, jmrtsus, and I are hoping to do is provide some recommendations on audio updates. We may post some basic write-ups to help with installations later.

Thanks, guys. I have heard plenty of Alpines over the years that didn't impress me but these definitely shined. All of the listening was done off the same head unit and amp with my own source material so I don't think there were any shenanigans. I also know that room won't translate to vehicle directly but the tonal differences were dramatic to my ears. They are also highly reviewed on Crutchfield, Sonic, Amazon and other retailers, for what that's worth.

I am also not up on soundstream's current offerings. I did notice they are being built overseas which is why I asked. I haven't noticed any real trends of failure or other issues in my research, which is good. I don't see any sign that they are CEA - 2006 though. I've reached out to them and we'll see what they say. The guys at Sonic electronics have dyno tested at least 3 of their units on YouTube and they passed nicely so I'm pretty confident it'll be solid. I won't lie that size is a large influencing factor. This isn't a competition system and I'm not building the car around it, with the exception of tweeter pods, so form factors are important to me.

I also competed with audio control stuff back in the day and am familiar with the LC2i so thanks for the heads up on that. I've been thinking about DSPs a lot and while it'd be nice to have something with time alignment, etc. I don't relish the idea of having to use a laptop of make any adjustments. I'm very tempted to get an audio control four.1, clarion eqs7xx or soundstream mpq-7x0 to put in the glove box so I can make on the fly adjustments, or even an audio control EQS. What do you guys do for spontaneous tuning after you've set up your dsps?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
On the subject of speakers.....I have always loved Alpine drivers since my first Cassette Deck Alpine head unit, yes, I am an OG. From articles and other people's opinions they still seem to be highly regarded. I was an Alpine addict for years. The only speaker for our car I have listened to lately is the Polk DB652 DB+ speakers. These are direct in door replacement drivers with a co-ax tweeter. At a $70-$90 price point the are on my list for budget upgrades. With silk dome tweeters and polypropylene cone these drivers sound smooth but detailed on CD's. I heard them before and after an under seat sub was added. Bass is about the same as stock without the sub, a bit louder due to their high 92dB sensitivity, but these really shine with a small sub and utilizing a 120-150 hz Bass Blockers. I find the mids a little brighter and less strident, possibly due to more rigid cones. All in all they perform well above their price range with a sub.

As stated in the thread Antarctica, Chicagoslick and myself will be working together on an audio thread to have a single place for audio help and advice. My role is more old school low cost upgrades and audio education. The other two are the go to guys for digital and tuning high quality systems. The most important advice on speakers is buy what sounds good to you. Unfortunately a sound board in a store has little relationship to a car interior. It's only real use is to compare one driver to other drivers on the board.

On the subject of speakers.....I have always loved Alpine drivers since my first Cassette Deck Alpine head unit, yes, I am an OG. From articles and other people's opinions they still seem to be highly regarded. I was an Alpine addict for years. The only speaker for our car I have listened to lately is the Polk DB652 DB+ speakers. These are direct in door replacement drivers with a co-ax tweeter. At a $70-$90 price point the are on my list for budget upgrades. With silk dome tweeters and polypropylene cone these drivers sound smooth but detailed on CD's. I heard them before and after an under seat sub was added. Bass is about the same as stock without the sub, a bit louder due to their high 92dB sensitivity, but these really shine with a small sub and utilizing a 120-150 hz Bass Blockers. I find the mids a little brighter and less strident, possibly due to more rigid cones. All in all they perform well above their price range with a sub.

As stated in the thread Antarctica, Chicagoslick and myself will be working together on an audio thread to have a single place for audio help and advice. My role is more old school low cost upgrades and audio education. The other two are the go to guys for digital and tuning high quality systems. The most important advice on speakers is buy what sounds good to you. Unfortunately a sound board in a store has little relationship to a car interior. It's only real use is to compare one driver to other drivers on the board.
Thanks, man. I have always trusted my ears. I like knowing that I have a quality product but I don't necessarily fall in line with brand snobbery. There's obviously a venn diagram where many of the best products overlap with many of the braggy products but I'm not afraid to fall out of that class. Back in the mid to late 90s while everyone else was buying the bigger and more popular brands, many of which were definitely good, I was using components from Earthquake and Oz Audio because they catered to my ears. Not slamming on the MB Quarts or Veritas or Image Dynamics or any of those, they proved themselves time and again, but at the end of the day I loved how my cars sounded and they still took home awards.

Back on topic, I'm glad to have a strong pool of folks to turn to. I feel like I've forgotten so much in 15 years of just getting by. My fire has been rekindled though. It's bound to get me in trouble.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Stormy, keep in mind the purpose of the thread when we get it organized is also to get others opinions too! I'm sure you also have some good knowledge to share.

Stormy, Jmrtsus is right, you probably have some good info to share as well.

As far as tuning goes, I use a laptop for the JL TUN software. I created the program offline sitting on my coach. Once I felt good about the basic setup, I downloaded the program file to the TwK. I then tuned the system to the way I like to hear music. Once I got the basic sound I was looking for, I created 3 different programs to handle different volume levels based on the source material I was listening to. I have used Audio Control, Alpine, and Sony DSP in the past and this is by far the easiest to use. The Sony's was by far the most difficult. You have to program via the head unit and the menu structure is many levels deep. If you listen to a wide variety of music from different sources you will be constantly tuning.

Stormy, keep in mind the purpose of the thread when we get it organized is also to get others opinions too! I'm sure you also have some good knowledge to share.
Thanks. I'm not afraid to speak up if a feel qualified. :)

Stormy, Jmrtsus is right, you probably have some good info to share as well.

As far as tuning goes, I use a laptop for the JL TUN software. I created the program offline sitting on my coach. Once I felt good about the basic setup, I downloaded the program file to the TwK. I then tuned the system to the way I like to hear music. Once I got the basic sound I was looking for, I created 3 different programs to handle different volume levels based on the source material I was listening to. I have used Audio Control, Alpine, and Sony DSP in the past and this is by far the easiest to use. The Sony's was by far the most difficult. You have to program via the head unit and the menu structure is many levels deep. If you listen to a wide variety of music from different sources you will be constantly tuning.
My musical tastes are very diverse. I was a buyer for Tower Records for years which really broadened my horizons and now with Spotify and satellite radio I can go with my whims at the tap of a button. Do the tone controls in the HU still have any effect with a Fix and Twk active?

OP
antarctica24

antarctica24

Thread Starter #51
Best door speakers/components for stock radio?
This is really a loaded question. Anything you can afford will work. When yo say the best my mind goes to an open wallet. I might suggest morel, or the like, you'd be 1500 feel. Dynoaudio you'd be 1000 deep. If your just looking for a stock replacement at a decent price the pioneer ts line will do it and you won't spend 200.00.

Hope that helps

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
This is really a loaded question. Anything you can afford will work. When yo say the best my mind goes to an open wallet. I might suggest morel, or the like, you'd be 1500 feel. Dynoaudio you'd be 1000 deep. If your just looking for a stock replacement at a decent price the pioneer ts line will do it and you won't spend 200.00.

Hope that helps
I was looking at FOCAL entry levels. Just don't want use an amp if I can help it. Look for a bit more sound. No sub if I can help it. So I'm look for speakers with a HIGH db rating.

OP
antarctica24

antarctica24

Thread Starter #53
I was looking at FOCAL entry levels. Just don't want use an amp if I can help it. Look for a bit more sound. No sub if I can help it. So I'm look for speakers with a HIGH db rating.
While I am not a particular fan of the focal it wild be hard to ignore the following, right? A lot of people like them and that is ok because it's a personal preference.you absolutely do not need an amp. The factory radio will drive them and it will sound better than what you have for no other reason than it's more efficient.

An amp will take it over the top better, and running it will take it over the top yet again. Don't just take my advice their are 3 of us on here that have experience upgrading the factory speakers. A sub can make a profound impact as well for very little cost and effort. You can remove it when doing races if you set it up right.

While I am not a particular fan of the focal it wild be hard to ignore the following, right? A lot of people like them and that is ok because it's a personal preference.you absolutely do not need an amp. The factory radio will drive them and it will sound better than what you have for no other reason than it's more efficient.

An amp will take it over the top better, and running it will take it over the top yet again. Don't just take my advice their are 3 of us on here that have experience upgrading the factory speakers. A sub can make a profound impact as well for very little cost and effort. You can remove it when doing races if you set it up right.
Could not have been stated any better!!!

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Had a Jl sub setup nut it was just to big for my taste. Looking at the rockford powered sub enclosure.

OP
antarctica24

antarctica24

Thread Starter #56
Could not have been stated any better!!!
Thank you sir, Well.... Other than I seem to not be able to spell all of the sudden. RX7 what I was trying to say, no amp needed, and an amp will make it better, than the stock radio and then tunning it would make it better over that.

Hello ANTARTICA24 ! Glad to see another soundaholic ! Just got my 2018 ST w/the Sony premium system. Always had good tunes in my cars, From 96 Crown Vic, 98 SVT Contour, 2004 SVT Focus, 2004 Merc Marauder, 2016 Durango R/T and now the ST. Have not had time to put system through its paces yet, so I'll reserve comment. I'm trying to find the specs on this system, RMS wattage, speaker design etc... Wondering if you have that info. Nothing from Sony nothing from Ford. I see 6 speakers and NO sub but somewhere I saw 8 mentioned, maybe it was the Focus ST. I want to know the base before I start hacking it up. I've been into audio since the early 70's yes I probably could be your father [hihi] [shhh]. You have a very good handle on the audio technical issues. I've been thru all of it in one form or another. My man cave stereo and audio/video goodies are easily 6 figures sooooo...... I don't have to go crazy in the car just figure what will sound decent +, maybe very good. Thanks in advance for any input. Regular e-mail maybe easier than the forum. Up to you. Thanks in advance, Stan motoguzzi99@gmail.com