Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Stratified says they are able to "request 10-15 more horsepower" from the ecu in stage 3 vs I'm pretty sure stage 1(could be stage 2 can't find the post, sorry). So while there are in fact gains they are small.

People also claim faster 'spool' however that's debatable.

Soundwise a DP on an OEM exhaust changes the volume and tone but nowhere near what a catback does.

It comes down to you if it's worth it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Stratified does stages ?

HBEcoBeaST

Stratified does stages ?
Not exactly "stages" but they change the tune depending on your parts. They are able to get more power out of a modded car than non. The post I was referring to (which I can't find) was about how they were able to safely make more power with the IC and DP. Their car also has(had?) a Cobb intake which they saod show minimal gains.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

After having the Whoosh V2 Catless Downpipe for a few weeks now I'm probably going back to stock downpipe until I get a hybrid turbo. As much as I love the spool noise and the louder pops I'm not making the same amount boost as I was on a stock dp. The only time I'm able to get 25-26psi is 4th gear and only hitting 23-24psi in 3rd gear. I was able to get 26.5psi in 3rd and 4th gear with the stock dp.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
After having the Whoosh V2 Catless Downpipe for a few weeks now I'm probably going back to stock downpipe until I get a hybrid turbo. As much as I love the spool noise and the louder pops I'm not making the same amount boost as I was on a stock dp. The only time I'm able to get 25-26psi is 4th gear and only hitting 23-24psi in 3rd gear. I was able to get 26.5psi in 3rd and 4th gear with the stock dp.
Is it possible you just need a re-tune for it? After installing my new crossover and turbo inlet I'm not hitting quite the same boost either but I chalked it up to needing a new tune...

jeff

2000 Post Club

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Is it possible you just need a re-tune for it? After installing my new crossover and turbo inlet I'm not hitting quite the same boost either but I chalked it up to needing a new tune...
I'd research these mods before installing. Concerning the downpipe, it was proven by dyno graphs 4 years ago that a downpipe mod on a stock turbo robs top end power. It might add some low end power but the tires are already spinning and that's the last place you need more power, especially if it's in exchange for a loss in top end power which the stock turbo is lacking.

Just because you're getting more air does not mean it's a net gain. In some cases more flow is going to conflict with the other stock components (turbo, ECU) and cause a problem.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I'd research these mods before installing. Concerning the downpipe, it was proven by dyno graphs 4 years ago that a downpipe mod on a stock turbo robs top end power. It might add some low end power but the tires are already spinning and that's the last place you need more power, especially if it's in exchange for a loss in top end power which the stock turbo is lacking.

Just because you're getting more air does not mean it's a net gain. In some cases more flow is going to conflict with the other stock components (turbo, ECU) and cause a problem.
Hey Jeff! Discovered a lot more of your vids, BTW, they're great! Anyway, did you maybe have it backwards there? Doesn't extra flow from a DP actually rob torque for a bit more up top? I know with a stock turbo they make little to no gains to begin with but I thought I was pretty sure they help a bit on the top end at the expense of low end?

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hey Jeff! Discovered a lot more of your vids, BTW, they're great! Anyway, did you maybe have it backwards there? Doesn't extra flow from a DP actually rob torque for a bit more up top? I know with a stock turbo they make little to no gains to begin with but I thought I was pretty sure they help a bit on the top end at the expense of low end?
I’m positive I have it correct. I’ve read this entire thread in the past but I’m not going to do it again, but if I recall correctly there was a good bit of talk about this topic earlier in this thread. Adam Brunson of Tune plus proved it with dyno graphs. Has to do with back pressure. It’s all right there and pretty plain to see if you look at the graphs. This was three or four years ago. Could be in this thread but I know it is been talked about extensively but again that was years ago, no one cares anymore I think people are tired of arguing it but it’s clearly substantiated in the data.

Glad the videos are inspiring.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Well, I have to mention this to others as I was surprised by how much I received when I turned in my catalytic converter to the local shop - I netted $71 by handing over my old one. This offsets basically 1/4 of the ugpraded catalytic converter so it's definitely worth while!

Google 'catalytic converters' in your area and find a shop which deals with the specifically - don't take it to a wrecker as they're just going to low ball you and then take it to the specialty shop themselves.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I was wondering what to buy with the $600 bestowed upon me by our kind and wise leaders in D.C.
Thought about a down pipe, so I read this thread and contacted Tunewerks. This was the reply:

Thanks for your email. I have not seen any aftermarket DP make any gains on a stock turbo Fiesta ST.

Best Regards,

Randy Robles
President / Director of Calibrations
www.tunewerks.com

Looks like he agrees. Gonna get a catback, just for some sound. I'm done tuning. :)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^ Yeah, I need brakes soon, so that coin is going towards that.

I just need to decide between fully stock/OEM replacements (with an upgrade to the Motorcraft 'summer' pads, or the G-Loc equivalent, and Goodridge hoses), or going to a Wilwood, or Whoosh, 'gravel spec sized',<- {to fit under 15s} fixed caliper setup for the fronts. [dunno]
(I simply cannot afford the AP Racing setup I REALLY want. [:(])

I would only even consider an aftermarket down pipe when doing an aftermarket turbo, and even then it would be a 200 cell meowing one. [wink]

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I would only even consider an aftermarket down pipe when doing an aftermarket turbo, and even then it would be a 200 cell meowing one. [wink]
Cat-less down pipes are cringe. Why do people decide that having a car that pollutes 300x what it normally would is worth 2 more hp? Catalytic converters have come a long way over nearly 50 years, and they flow incredibly well.
Jesus, you're not the only thing that needs clean air to live. Think about the world around you. It's not hard.
(Not directed at you, M, just to be clear.)

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Some people actually believe they harm the air more. Not harm the air more for people, but harm the air more for the environment as a whole.
I don't believe that, but someone I know believes they cause acid rain and such. This person is actually very much into the environment but believes catalytic converters are acid rain makers.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Some people actually believe they harm the air more. Not harm the air more for people, but harm the air more for the environment as a whole.
I don't believe that, but someone I know believes they cause acid rain and such. This person is actually very much into the environment but believes catalytic converters are acid rain makers.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
They turn exhaust into mostly water and CO2. The CO2 is a problem, but the other crap is even worse. Your friend doesn't understand 6th grade science.

There are real concerns about catalytic convertors. Anyone seen any recent studies on the effectiveness, pro, and cons. I went back and found an article I was reading a few months ago that raised some issues. Are we trading one problem for another?

“But when it comes to climate change, auto engineers and environmentalists have long pointed out another serious issue. Although cats turn most nitrogen oxides into nitrogen and oxygen, they also produce small amounts of nitrous oxide (N2O) in the process, a greenhouse gas that's over 300 times more potent than carbon dioxide. The trouble is that with so many vehicles on the road, even small amounts of nitrous oxide add up to a major problem. Back in 2000, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change noted: "The introduction of catalytic converters as a pollution control measure in the majority of industrialized countries is resulting in a substantial increase in N2O emissions from gasoline vehicles." Fortunately, newer catalytic converters produce dramatically less nitrous oxide than older ones. Even so, while catalytic converters have certainly helped us to tackle short-term air pollution, there are concerns that, when it comes to long-term climate change, they could be making matters worse.”

So the question becomes is the level of N2O more harmful than the temporary decrease in carbon monoxide at the local level, remember CO eventually turns into CO2 naturally.

So my idea to balance this out is half of us run cats and half of us don’t. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done both catless and high flow cat setups that obviously do very little over the years. These days, I prefer a decent cat. It has to be a good one like a GESI Gen 2 UHO though. :cool: They're not cheap, but you avoid the stink, don't need to play tricks to pass emissions, and have near zero impact on performance.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Planning a whoosh hybrid with extruded manifold, a catted downpipe makes sense. I live in a state with emissions inspection (PA). As an example would a whoosh catted downpipe (200 cell) trigger an emissions failure? I'd honestly prefer to stay stock to maintain the heatshield and mounting points down low near the RMM but (in my mind) can't see opening up the manifold and catback exhaust only to choke it off in between with the stock DP. I havent even had to take the car for inspection yet coming 8/21 though. Are there 200 cell DP's that are considered more emissions friendly?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Planning a whoosh hybrid with extruded manifold, a catted downpipe makes sense. I live in a state with emissions inspection (PA). As an example would a whoosh catted downpipe (200 cell) trigger an emissions failure? I'd honestly prefer to stay stock to maintain the heatshield and mounting points down low near the RMM but (in my mind) can't see opening up the manifold and catback exhaust only to choke it off in between with the stock DP. I havent even had to take the car for inspection yet coming 8/21 though. Are there 200 cell DP's that are considered more emissions friendly?
I put in a Mountune Sportcat when I did my s280 upgrade. I would not spend the $500 on that extruded manifold . You will not make enough extra HP with the Hybrid to warrant it. IMO. Your going Hybrid if you were going S280 you might get a bit of benefit but even there the benefit is so small vs the expense the $500 is better off put towards some other mod.

I put in a Mountune Sportcat when I did my s280 upgrade. I would not spend the $500 on that extruded manifold . You will not make enough extra HP with the Hybrid to warrant it. IMO. Your going Hybrid if you were going S280 you might get a bit of benefit but even there the benefit is so small vs the expense the $500 is better off put towards some other mod.
Agreed. Manifolds are for laggy setups. The only thing quicker spool will lead to on the above setups is less traction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was interested with '2JR Fiesta ST Hi-Power Downpipe 304SS' with the optional catted defouler. Price is about $235 which is far less than Fswerks, Cobb, Mishimoto, etc. Why is that? Would you recommend 2JR? Currently have a stock downpipe with Borla exhaust.