Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stratified E85 Flash Tune Review

Trader history for commonplatypus (0)

I have stratified's e85 tune. I know it's only tuned for e30, can I just run full e85? I know there is no benefit in terms of power, but I rather just put in e85 straight up then mix.

Can this be done without any ill effects?

haste

1000 Post Club
Are you guys just doing a datalog during a pull to get the Virtual Dyno results?
Yes, just plug the .csv file into Vdyno with the right car specifications and VOILA!, hp and tq numbers!

I have so many logs from different upgrade points on my car, it's ridiculous.

grnmachine02

I have stratified's e85 tune. I know it's only tuned for e30, can I just run full e85? I know there is no benefit in terms of power, but I rather just put in e85 straight up then mix.

Can this be done without any ill effects?
I wouldn't do that. My understanding (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that the high pressure fuel pump can't handle full e85. Running E85 requires 20-30% more fuel to achieve the same AF ratio as pump gas. The stock pump simply cannot flow enough to meet the demand. That's why e30 tunes are offered. You can get the benefit of increased octane without running lean.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
That is correct. Plus with pure E85 there is a possibility of building deposits on the pump, if I remember correctly.

But let's say that the car on the stratified tune makes 207hp and 283ft lbs of torque, let's say the fuel pump on pump gas is only good for 320hp even though people are getting 400 out of it. So then you go to straight e85 and need 30% more fuel. 30% of 320 is 96, subtract that and you get 224hp. So you still have more room. Straight e85 may be possible on a stock turbo car.

grnmachine02

Sure, assuming all factors are 100%, and your math is 100%. But what if they aren't? That would end up being a costly mistake.

Edit:// you have to remember that DI engines run in the thousands of psi in fuel pressure. Asking for 30% more is a big number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few things about full E85. The volume required from the HPFP at peak torque (not peak hp) can't sustain full E85 use. Because of this we don't recommend it without some additional (aux) fueling to supplement the OEM fuel system. Furthermore there really isn't much if anything to gain going to full E85 performance wise. Yes, it improves pumping convenience but performance wise at these boost levels we aren't leaving it on the table with E30.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
4th gear pull today. Looks like I'm basically even with everyone else. If I could take it back, I wouldn't have wasted the money on bolt-ons. :(

A few things about full E85. The volume required from the HPFP at peak torque (not peak hp) can't sustain full E85 use. Because of this we don't recommend it without some additional (aux) fueling to supplement the OEM fuel system. Furthermore there really isn't much if anything to gain going to full E85 performance wise. Yes, it improves pumping convenience but performance wise at these boost levels we aren't leaving it on the table with E30.
Gotcha, if I got your Stratified AUX kit would I be able to just run full E85?

I'm only trying to prepare for the next 6 months. I'm going to be going with the X-37 turbo and even though I will probably only be tuned for E30/E40. I would rather not have to mix my gas and just run full E85.

Another plus for me going full E85 instead of a mixture is that I will be going catless and the smell of E85 is not nearly as bad as regular gasoline coming out of the exhaust.

Gotcha, if I got your Stratified AUX kit would I be able to just run full E85?

I'm only trying to prepare for the next 6 months. I'm going to be going with the X-37 turbo and even though I will probably only be tuned for E30/E40. I would rather not have to mix my gas and just run full E85.

Another plus for me going full E85 instead of a mixture is that I will be going catless and the smell of E85 is not nearly as bad as regular gasoline coming out of the exhaust.
For full E85 I recommend running a 4 port aux fuel kit. This is something we have in the works. E50 (making it easier to mix) will work well on the throttle body kit.

I just recieved my e30 tune and have to say wow! I'm really enjoying the added fun, so here is a quick little review:

I recieved the tune this past Sunday afternoon, uploaded it to the AP and then drove to the e85 pump and put the 3 gallons in and the rest 93. Initially I took it easy and wasn't too impressed... after a few days of driving on it-
wow! It is as described by the op. It has more power everywhere, especially the top end of the rev range. It pulls harder in every gear and where it would be dying off normally (93), the e30 is still pulling harder! The best way I can describe it is- SMOOOOTH power. It pulls hard but smoothly- it just feels like the engine is not trying hard, just does it with ease. One thing I noticed is how QUIET the engine is now! It runs so smooth I can barely hear it idling. I supose that is goes along with the whole smooth feel- like engine is running with less effort. I use the LEC tune (loud exhaust crackles) and with a muffler delete its got some serious pops! I wonder if running e30 makes it easier to pop a flame?? In short- I am very happy with this tune and having a lot of fun out there with it ;)

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I just recieved my e30 tune and got to say wow! I'm really enjoying the added fun, so here is a quick little review:

I recieved the tune this past Sunday afternoon, uploaded it to the AP and then drove to the e85 pump and put the 3 gallons in and the rest 93. Flashed the tune and took it easy and I wasn't too impressed at first... after a few days of driving on it-
wow! It is as described by the op. It has more power, and espcially top end of the rev range. It pulls harder in every gear and where it would be dying off normally (93), the e30 is still pulling harder! The best way I can describe it is- SMOOOTH power. It pulls hard but smoothly- it just feels like the engine is not trying hard, just does it with ease. One thing I noticed is how QUIET the engine is now! It runs way smoother and I can barely hear it idling. I supose that it goes along with the whole smooth feel- like engine is running with less effort. I use the LEC tune (loud exhaust crackles) and with a muffler delete its got some serious pops! I wonder if running e30 makes it easier to pop a flame?? In short- I am very happy with this tune and having a lot of fun out there with it ;)
Thanks for the review. [thumb]

I plan on getting an E30 map from Alex to go along with my Strat Flash tune 93 map in the (near) future.

IF you have a catless DP, I would expect there to be flames out the tailpipe already on closed throttle decel, and in crackle mode. ;)

Quisp

1000 Post Club

I plan on getting an E30 map from Alex to go along with my Strat Flash tune 93 map in the (near) future.

IF you have a catless DP, I would expect there to be flames out the tailpipe already on closed throttle decel, and in crackle mode. ;)
You don't have a tune yet?

Yeah I need to go catless... still stock dp'ing haha

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You don't have a tune yet?
I have the basic Strat Flash 93 tune, just not loaded into the AP yet, and therefore not loaded into the ECM yet.

I am running up against ALL kinds of frustrating delays (read; NO garage access, and therefore HOA HEADACHES) in getting my cp-e IC (and Mountune charge hoses) installed.

I will NOT install a tune until that IC is in the car [nono] (NO matter how many swear up and down it is OK/'safe' to do so!), ESPECIALLY in the heat of summer, as I had Alex set the tune with an aftermarket IC included as a factor. ;)

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I have the basic Strat Flash 93 tune, just not loaded into the AP yet, and therefore not loaded into the ECM yet.

I am running up against ALL kinds of frustrating delays (read; NO garage access, and therefore HOA HEADACHES) in getting my cp-e IC (and Mountune charge hoses) installed.

I will NOT install a tune until that IC is in the car [nono] (NO matter how many swear up and down it is OK/'safe' to do so!), ESPECIALLY in the heat of summer, as I had Alex set the tune with an aftermarket IC included as a factor. ;)
That's some will power ! I feel for you on the HOA I had my SER cams out when they paid a visit. Had to finish under cloak of darkness.

I have the stratified e30 tune and 93 octane tune on two map slots. I always hear that when you flash a new tune to your vehicle, it takes several miles of driving before the tune "learns" or "calibrates" to the car's fuel/engine/etc.. Does this hold true for switching between map slots? Or does this only occur when you completely flash a new tune with the Cobb AP?

Cheers,
Matt

I have the stratified e30 tune and 93 octane tune on two map slots. I always hear that when you flash a new tune to your vehicle, it takes several miles of driving before the tune "learns" or "calibrates" to the car's fuel/engine/etc.. Does this hold true for switching between map slots? Or does this only occur when you completely flash a new tune with the Cobb AP?

Cheers,
Matt
Only when you reflash or the ECU is reset for some other reason.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That's some will power ! I feel for you on the HOA I had my SER cams out when they paid a visit. Had to finish under cloak of darkness.
Yes, hopefully my brother will get his P.O.S., 'destitute' '99 Boxster OUT of the garage within a couple of months, like he claims he will, and I can resume the modding. ;)

I do not feel the need for the 'instant gratification' with this car as others do who put full-on BT kits on brand new rides as soon as they're home with them (but ALL the more power to them for doing so! [thumb]), so it is not as 'painful' to me to wait for a little more power/response.

Since I REALLY did not like the style of the factory wheels, THAT is the one exception to the above for me, and as far as I'm concerned the 1.2s (as well as many/most other aftermarket options) transform the aesthetics of this car in almost a 'make or break' kind of way. [:)]
(I would rather have factory power with great/great looking aftermarket wheels, than boatloads of power with the factory rollers IF I had to choose. Of course, the ultimate is BOTH, like many on here have. ;))