Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stratified E85 Flash Tune Review

Trader history for commonplatypus (0)

Hey all,

So this will be much in the same way of my previous flash tune review for Stratified, minus the cross-comparisons to other tuners; primarily because I have not logged such data in any way recently. Instead I am going to focus on comparing my experiences between my Stratified 93 Octane Flash tune and my new e30 Stratified Flash tune. There's a good amount to talk about here, especially since the new tune is on a full version revision, as well.

So my initial experience with this tune was a tad underwhelming by my own hand. I had inadvertently under-mixed my ethanol percentages, which resulted in some performance disappointments. I later fixed it and found that both the tune and car improved drastically as a result. So let that be a cautionary tale. Investing in an e85 calculator is probably worth the $1.00 on your respective smartphone platform of choice.

Once I'd fixed the mixture, the car began pulling hard through the entire rev range and felt overall much quicker. Coming over from the v1 revisions, the Stratified team has also somehow managed to make the tune even smoother on the new v2 tune than it was before. It's incredible, really. Rev hang has been reduced even further and the car overall drives a lot like butter sliding along the surface of a hot pan. That might be an exaggeration, but it's VERY smooth and drivable to say the least.

The e30 has given it that little extra oomph in basically any gear across any portion of the powerband (unless you're lugging it). The ease with which I can slip through traffic on the highway now with reduced effort is definitely something I have taken notice of. Point it in a direction, squeeze the pedal, and it goes. No hesitation, no turbo "surge", and it doesn't fall flat on its face at any point. It just goes and goes and goes. It's very nice and I can definitely notice the changes in drivability over the first version 93 tune I came off of, even though I did have several revisions done to that programming. Even with those changes, this is better. Much better.

Gas mileage has obviously gone down during daily stop and go driving, though I can still manage 33 mpg on the highway when cruising in 6th gear with the occasional downshift and passing maneuver.

So what about data? That's what we are all here for, right?

I compared my e30 tune to my 93 tune in attempt to give a nice comparison between the two.

First, the variables:

Two logs taken in April with a temperature of about 60* F
Two logs taken today here in May with a temperature of about 68* F

So, we have somewhat close temperatures to look at here.

- - - - -

Driver weight:
140lbs

Modifications: Cobb RMM, MTC FMIC (Same unit as Depo and performing like an absolute champ), and a Green Filter Panel filter.

Tires: Michelin Pilot Super Sport (205/45/r17)

- - - - - -

First up, third gear comparison...

What can we observe from this?

We can see an increase of about 6 horsepower and 29 ft/lbs of torque across the entire power band. That's a decent margin. You can also see boost peaking at around 25.3lbs in the e30 tune vs the 24 lbs in the 93 tune with a VERY healthy AFR to accompany it. The boost also gets there quicker and holds that pressure for longer before tapering down in a similar way to the previous tune. Both logs taken on the same roads and both were exceptionally smooth.

I also made a comparison between 4th gear logs. This gear is important as its closest to the actual 1:1 ratio needed to accurately judging power ouput, even in spite of the longer gearing caused by my larger than stock diameter PSS. I theorize I'll see better numbers when I inevitably reduce wheel size by an inch and get myself back to a tire size that is closer to stock. I love my PSS, but they're definitely a drain on my power outputs. :p

Anyways, here is the log.

Even more substantial increases here. We gain 9 horsepower and an even 20 torque. Same roads as the third gear pull. Same temperatures. Same boost and AFR scenarios as third gear, as well.

Datalogs can be found here for the 93 Octane April set and here for the e30 logs from today.

Conclusion: The benefits of e30 are obvious, especially with a tune through someone like Stratified. You get a nice meaty increase in power across the entire rev range. Stratified has once again knocked it out of the park with the quality of their tune. It's extremely derivable, extremely smooth, and above-all; safe. I'm extremely happy with my Stratified e30 flash tune and I honestly can't think of anything else it needs. You really can't do any better for $75. Yes, $75! Madness.

One of the other thing I want to point out here is that this is about as good as it gets when it comes to advancing timing and boost on the engine with regards to the stock turbo. The tune you see here is at MBT That stands for Mean Based Torque and it rides the MBT table values through the entire pull. The car literally cannot add any more timing as doing so is working against the efficiency of the engine and putting it in danger of catastrophic failure. The turbo is also at its limit. Any more than this is probably not very effective for producing power without reducing the lifespan of the turbocharger.

Next steps from here would be a bigger turbo in my opinion. I don't see any more effective ways to add performance beyond that. It's definitely something I want to explore going forward, especially after getting the opportunity to drive an EFR 6758 powered Focus ST. Wow doesn't even begin to describe that experience. Nearly the same spool as my current car (Or at least so minimal in difference I didn't notice it) and an insanely large power band. It saddens me we do not have access to those kits on the Fiesta as I really do believe an EFR 6258 would work very well for the car.

Hopefully people find this review helpful. I'm sure Alex and the team would be nothing less than happy to answer any questions. :)

jeff

2000 Post Club
Excellent post and review. I always appreciate your tone and desire to help others. Stratified does great work for sure, I really enjoyed their tune on my car for a time and this sounds like a nice improvement over their v1 tune. You are right, for the money, it's a no brainer for someone who doesn't want a custom tune.

EFR 6258 kits for the 1.6 EcoBoost are available but evidently the spool isn't great and the power comes on like a light switch. The kits are quite expensive too.

OP
commonplatypus
Thread Starter #4
Excellent post and review. I always appreciate your tone and desire to help others. Stratified does great work for sure, I really enjoyed their tune on my car for a time and this sounds like a nice improvement over their v1 tune. You are right, for the money, it's a no brainer for someone who doesn't want a custom tune.
I think that honestly is the highlight of it all. Quality of the tune aside (which is incredible), the biggest selling point of Stratified to me has always been the price. You get this amazingly crafted tune at a price that simply cannot be beaten.

OP
commonplatypus
Thread Starter #5
EFR 6258 kits for the 1.6 EcoBoost are available but evidently the spool isn't great and the power comes on like a light switch. The kits are quite expensive too.
Are those the kits from Puma Speed? I would like to see more data than just the one account we have from Rick/RAAM about the performance of the setup at this point. That's the only accounting I have seen thus far. If you have more info, I would definitely be interested in seeing it. In QA, we often only consider data valid if we can produce it across multiple environments/setups using a sort of rule of three. If you can reproduce something three times, then there is a pattern worthy of consideration. So far I have one environmental example of this. Two would be considered coincidence. Three independent citations would be a pattern. It's about due diligence and eliminating situational deviation from the equation for me and I'm a data nerd. :p

The kit that is available is the Peron.

The light switch was Ram's DHM kit.

I think it is pretty safe to draw conclusions from his experience, his exhaust manifold was not terribly different from DHMs well proven Garrett turbo manifolds and DHM was tuning it, I haven't seen many people question Russ' tuning ability.

Peron might have a twin scroll kit and that should spool better than a single scroll but the cost is high, it hasn't proven to make any more power than a GT2560r (probably due to fuel system capacity) and it probably doesn't spool noticeably better than a DHM kit because if it did, they should tell everybody.

I am kind of baffled to see the Brits lagging on the Fiesta ST engine development. They had cars more than six months before us and the car is incredibly popular over there.

Over here the car is overshadowed by the Focus ST and Mustang but as far as I can tell we have the fastest and most powerful Fiesta STs in the world. We also are better about using wheel horse power numbers instead of estimated crank shaft power numbers.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
I am considering going this route, is it daunting to always have the perfect mixture or is there room for forgiveness?

Its been pretty easy to keep the mix. Download a e85 mix calc for your phone and keep track of what's left/how much you put in on each fill up. Then you can go hey I have a 1/4 tank....I know that's 4 gallons left!

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I have a 92 octane tune that I ordered previously, is it possible to add it as a slot on this map when I'm in an area where E85 isn't available? I also need to update it, as I'm full bolt-on now.

I hit the all important 300+ft lbs on the E85 stratified map tonight!

JK, I think I hit a dip in the road or something. This is smoothed out and still seems off, but its probably close.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Holy crap.

I didn't scroll down far enough initially! Thought you were talking up the first map... Thought to myself ' damn that's an ugly curve!' and am glad the second one is much nicer! ha!

OP
commonplatypus
Thread Starter #18
I hit the all important 300+ft lbs on the E85 stratified map tonight!

JK, I think I hit a dip in the road or something. This is smoothed out and still seems off, but its probably close.
This is about what my experience was. On a totally flat road (I am talking flat and smooth as can be asked for) where I was able to set smoothing to 1 with no bumps I managed 208whp/283 torque. So you're just about where I'd expect you to be.

That's my experience here on a 4th gear pull tonight about as flat as I could get it. I'm still getting +3 timing correction, so more may be attainable.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Well last night I got the tank down to abouts 60 miles left till empty.....filled it up with 3 gallons of e85...crossed the road and filled it up with about 7.5 gallons of 93 oct....all i can say is wow....very nice. It pulls harder now....alot harder. Well worth the investment Imo. Just thought I'd point it out since others didn't really come out with an opinion on what their thoughts were from what ive read. Thank you Alex @Stratified! Keep those Tunes rolling out![rockon]