Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stage 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 audio upgrade suggestions

anticon

In my 2017 I only have two USB inputs or bluetooth to get audio from a phone/tablet/device to the head unit (otherwise audio is radio or CD). There is no way to send an analog signal directly to the head unit without a 3.5 mm jack. So, I think I am stuck with the headunit just reading the files directly from the device. Per the manual, the head unit supports WAV, FLAC, MP3, WMA, and AAC files. So, the best option for higher than CD quality audio in a reasonable file size is probably FLAC (lossless compression). As I understand bluetooth can only transfer audio up to A2DP’s maximum audio bandwidth of 728kbit/s, which is not any better than a CD, so bluetooth isn't a good option.

So, it seems like the TEAC app would not do anything since the headunit just reads the file directly (like a USB flash drive), and is not played through an app on a mobile device (like if I was using the headphone port on the device). Also a separate DAC with headphone out (e.g. xDuoo XD-05) would not help either (since there is no 3.5 mm jack.)

I guess I was just hoping to confirm that the "Stage 1" upgrades no longer apply to the later models without the 3.5 mm jack. It seems, the best option (without bypassing the headunit completely) is to just load up the best quality audio files to the mobile device and use the stock headunit's DAC for converting the digital signal. Basically, it seems that we are now stuck with the stock headunit's DAC. Does this sound right?

Another question that may need another thread is; When connected via Android Auto is the music being played through bluetooth or USB? Since both seem to be connected at the same time. If it is bluetooth, then I would probably just want to have a flash drive loaded with high quality FLAC files that can be read by the stock head unit DAC. I wonder if there is a limit to the FLAC file that the stock headunit DAC can process.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I think what you're seeking is an analog line-out from the head unit. Digital line outs even for aftermarket head units might be rare. The analog line out of course still goes through DAC and preamp, but bypasses any DSP and amplifier processing. That's the drawback to using speaker level... you loose precision, accuracy. (a LOT of it)

Radios are typically engineered in 'modules'. For example, way back in 2001 I had a Sony CD boombox that had speaker outs, but didn't have any line-ins. I opened it up, located the DC power feed for the CD module and put a flip-switch on it. Located the line-out from the CD player and ran wires over to a couple of RCA jacks that I mounted to the back of the case.

Someone did similar with their car radio here...
https://www.feoa.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-add-aux-in-to-stock-3rd-gen-radio.82448/

Adding a line-out might not be quite as easy. But you don't know until you at least look...

anticon

Thanks for the response. At this point though I'm trying to determine the best possible audio quality input into the head unit. From what I can tell the best we got is a FLAC file from a USB flash drive. I downloaded some WAV and FLAC files to test on a flash drive and the head unit processed them fine.