Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Pumaspeed X-37 Hybrid Turbo Thread

I have enjoyed working with Adam who has helped to perfect an E30 tune along with his upgraded WGA. I trust Adam, and if this is what he is promoting and believes in then I will gladly give him my business. I have been eyeing a turbo upgrade anyway.....

I am nervous about pulling the turbo for some reason, and is this a fairly straight forward process? I feel like I am mechanically inclined above a basic level, but "messing with the turbo" intimidates me for some reason.

What are the potential pitfalls that I might want to watch out for should I decide to tackle this on my own?

Also and with the Pumaspeed X-37 hybrid turbo setup, will an aft market DP improve peak power? I am running the stock DP right now, and I would purchase an aftermarket DP if it was recommended. If recommended, which specific DP should we go with?

Thank you!

Ryan
Ryan,

Thank you for the kind words. It is really straight forward, even more when the turbo is a factory turbo that has been upgraded. Literally remove bolts until you get the unit you are replacing out, and stick the new one right in it's place. There is no modification needed, remove and install. Kind of like replacing batteries in your remote!

I recommend a DP with the X-37, it moves enough air to gain benefits from a catless or catted aftermarket downpipe. I can get you a deal on a X-37 and a Pumaspeed or MAP downpipe.

Rhinopolis

Ryan,

Thank you for the kind words. It is really straight forward, even more when the turbo is a factory turbo that has been upgraded. Literally remove bolts until you get the unit you are replacing out, and stick the new one right in it's place. There is no modification needed, remove and install. Kind of like replacing batteries in your remote!

I recommend a DP with the X-37, it moves enough air to gain benefits from a catless or catted aftermarket downpipe. I can get you a deal on a X-37 and a Pumaspeed or MAP downpipe.
PM sent. Thanks

one more step toward hybrid today. dealer removed mountune 215. unfortunately my downpipe is a aftermarket cat one. bobn

JasonHaven

Like I have time for that haha. Definitely will be looking at this or the cyborg as a long term 'solution', excited that you're tuning quite a few of them. Keep up the good work/service!

Does your IWG play nice with the X-37? I still have that on the shelf waiting to install with whatever my next 'round' of upgrades are.

I have only 91 as well, but could do an e85 mix, but I'd rather be able to happily run 91 most of the time.

OP
M
Thread Starter #32
Installed the turbo today, added install pics / guide to the second post of the thread.

Rhinopolis

Great write up, and I cannot wait until mine is installed and and the new tune is finalized. Looking forward to reading your impressions once you are making full boost thumbsup

OP
M
Thread Starter #35
2.5 should be fine. If there are any gains to be had with a 3", they would likely be negligible.

As shown in the second post of this thread, I got the turbo installed Saturday. Did a bunch of tune revisions (6 or 7) with Adam yesterday within a fairly short time span (it was awesome, I kept my laptop in my car and uploaded datalogs/new maps via mobile hotspots between rounds of errands and grocery shopping) [unsurelaugh]

Hitting 26psi now on 93 octane, the car feels strong as shit. It's definitely a little laggier than the stock turbo, but nothing like the ATP setups. I'm seeing 21psi by 3000 RPM on a third gear pull, and lower boost levels are there during low RPM driving at part throttle, so I haven't had to alter my driving habits at all. But at WOT, holy shit this car is a different animal.

On a side note, since I was only running off wastegate pressure on the base map, I was getting 40+mpg city. [8]

2.5 should be fine. If there are any gains to be had with a 3", they would likely be negligible.

As shown in the second post of this thread, I got the turbo installed Saturday. Did a bunch of tune revisions (6 or 7) with Adam yesterday within a fairly short time span (it was awesome, I kept my laptop in my car and uploaded datalogs/new maps via mobile hotspots between rounds of errands and grocery shopping) [unsurelaugh]

Hitting 26psi now on 93 octane, the car feels strong as shit. It's definitely a little laggier than the stock turbo, but nothing like the ATP setups. I'm seeing 21psi by 3000 RPM on a third gear pull, and lower boost levels are there during low RPM driving at part throttle, so I haven't had to alter my driving habits at all. But at WOT, holy shit this car is a different animal.

On a side note, since I was only running off wastegate pressure on the base map, I was getting 40+mpg city. [8]
so excited! Can't wait to get mine. Good to hear that your regular driving experience has not changed.

so excited! Can't wait to get mine. Good to hear that your regular driving experience has not changed.

Also very glad to hear you're happy with the setup!

I only have 91 octane available without doing any e85 mixes and wonder if I'll be content with the power of this setup on just daily 91. Going by Adams site that would put it at 245hp and 275tq I think it said. I'm guessing it feels like the car now pulls strong all the way til you shift? Other than more power up top does the car feel quite a bit faster than before because a "stage 3" blah blah car has similar tq peak numbers, but it is in a different place and for length of time though.

OP
M
Thread Starter #39
I think those power figures are very conservative. My tune isn't even finished and my vDyno is already reading 257whp, which is 57whp more than stage 3. My stage 3 pull was done in 50-60 degree weather, and this pull was done in ~92 degree weather with a 100 degree heat index, on the same road.

The amount of top end pull this has over the stock turbo is just awesome. The power no longer dies off after 5k RPMs...it's peaking just after 6k and carries strong to 7k. I'll post some graphs once the tune is finalized and I can get a log done when it's not 100 degrees out. But to answer your question, the car feels faster everywhere after 3,000 RPM, which is perfect IMO.

Rhinopolis

The X37 sounds like exactly what I am wanting in a turbo upgrade, and I can't wait to install mine!

What about engine temps? You are running your car with close to 100 F index temps (same as summer temps in Houston), and have you noticed the car heating up any quicker than before the hybrid turbo? Also, what down pipe are you you running?