Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Pumaspeed X-37 Hybrid Turbo Thread

Rhinopolis

A long ass time, and I still need to do a few final bolt ups before filling coolant and testing. I also replaced the DP, and keep that in mind. I would say 8 hours start to finish, and I took a lunch break plus got caught up in a few goofs.

One goof I forgot to put a bucket under the coolant lines, so I needed to clean up that mess after it all dumped on to my garage floor. Another goof was I had trouble getting to the driver side coolant line brace, and I needed to move that brace some to remove the stock DP. I spent an hour wrangling with that stupid driver side coolant line brace [rant]

Like everything, if I did it over again from scratch and knew what all to expect with no surprises, it could be done much faster. I'm slow when it comes to working on my car anyway, and nothing new there.

Good job on getting it done, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it. I'm saving my pennies up the x37 and a TB exhaust. If I'm going to to do it I might as well just get it all done at once

Rhinopolis

Good job on getting it done, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it. I'm saving my pennies up the x37 and a TB exhaust. If I'm going to to do it I might as well just get it all done at once
Definitely do it all at once. After I unbolted the stock DP and removed the DP bracing and shields, plus after loosening the driver side coolant line brace so that I could tilt that coolant line down some, then after removing the stock turbo core, removing the stock DP from the engine bay was cake.

Conversely putting the new DP in before putting in the X37 makes it all flow that much smoother........

Reiterated/Repeated Tip: At first I elected not to remove my Cobb filter attached to the intake tube right before it makes a 90 degree turn in to the turbo. It was much easier accessing the driver side coolant brace bolt with the entire intake removed. Should have done it from the get go.

Rhinopolis

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but we all have to live and learn. I am not the best installer and am not a PRO. The Fiesta is my "toy" and I have another vehicle so that I can take my time while I work on the Fiesta. Do not let my lack of mechanical skill deter you from doing this install, and it's not that complicated if you follow basic instructions and learn from those who have already performed it.

I've been at the VERY tail end of installing this thing off and on for two days now, and I have probably glossed over these specific "tips" or instructions posted somewhere. I'm stuck and I would like to call attention so that other novice installers like myself can learn and not get hung up like me.I need GUIDANCE too please.

1. The bottom (closest to the ground) turbo coolant line has been a bitch, and I cannot get it to thread back in to the turbo. It's too taught and is pulling toward the opposite direction from where I need it to go. I have tried snugging the bolt that secures it back in to the turbo with the support brace loose, as well as the support brace tight. The metal coolant line simply does not want to give me any play to thread the 17 mm bolt back in.

I can man handle it back so that the bolt is "on" the thread hole to the turbo, but the taught metal coolant line is pulling away at the bolt and it refuses to thread back in.

Embarrassingly I have spent multiple hours working this thing from both up top and down below, and perhaps having a buddy (unfortunately none live close by to me) that could offer a hand would be helpful. I don't want to strip it, and would anyone be able to offer a suggestion of what to do here?

2. I suggest installing the oil feed with gasket loosely in to the turbo before you drop the new turbo back in to the car. I did not think that it would be so difficult to do from under the car, but once under the car and in such a tight space I cannot maneuver around or see well enough to install the feed line with gasket while upside down. It would have been much easier had I loosely threaded that feed line with the new gasket before installing the turbo. Then I could have moved it enough to pop the other end in to the oil pan port hole and tighten all three bolts to secure it solidly.

Anyways, these last two items are what I have had remaining to bolt up, and these are the only items keeping me from finishing this job. I have a Pierce 4 point brace under the car that detracts room to work around the turbo a little, and I really don't want to remove it to get at the oil feed line. It's the axle anyway that is most in my way, and I'll figure this one out sooner than later.

I am so pissed at the bottom coolant line right now, and I feel that with time and patience I will get the oil feed line put back on. Any tips for putting the bottom coolant bolt in would be much appreciated, as I am frustrated and probably need to step away for a bit

Thank you,

Ryan

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I'm embarrassed to admit it, but we all have to live and learn. I've been at the VERY tail end of installing this thing off and on for two days now. It's not complicated and I probably glossed over these specific "tips" or instructions, but I'm stuck and I would like to call attention so that other novice installers like myself can learn and not get hung up like me.

1. The bottom (closest to the ground) turbo coolant line has been a bitch, and I cannot get it to thread back in to the turbo. It's too taught and is pulling toward the opposite direction from where I need it to go. I have tried snugging the bolt that secures it back in to the turbo with the support brace loose, as well as the support brace tight. The metal coolant line simply does not want to give me any play to thread the 17 mm bolt back in.

I can man handle it back so that the bolt is "on" the thread hole to the turbo, but the taught metal coolant line is pulling away at the bolt and it refuses to thread in.

Embarrassingly I have spent hours working this thing from both up top and down below, and perhaps having a buddy (unfortunately none live close by to me) that could offer a hand would be helpful. I don't want to strip it, and can anyone give me a pro tip?

2. I suggest installing the oil feed with gasket loosely in to the turbo before you drop the new turbo back in to the car. I did not think that it would be so difficult, but once under the car and in such a tight space, I cannot maneuver around or see well enough to install the feed line with gasket from upside down. It would have been much easier had I loosely threaded that feel line with new gasket before installing the turbo. Then I could have moved it enough to pop the other end in to the oil pan port and secure all three bolts.

Anyways, these last two items are what I have had remaining to bolt up and are the only items keeping me from finishing this thing up. I have a Pierce 4 point brace under the car that detracts room to work around the turbo a little, and I really don't want to remove it to get at the oil feed line. It's the axle anyway that is most in my way, and I'll figure this one out sooner than later.

I am so pissed at the bottom coolant line right now, and I feel that with time and patience I will get the oil feed line put back on. Any tips for putting the bottom coolant bolt in would be much appreciated, as I am frustrated and probably need to step away for a bit

Thank you,

Ryan
1. Pull the hard line apart from the soft line, and unbolt it from the car. You'll have plenty of room to work with.

2. 1/4 wrench, appropriate bit and a lot of patience.

No need to remove the brace or axle. I've pulled and installed a stock frame a few times with both in the way... I even installed my 2867r with it all in the way (with a little help). HOWEVER, it makes life a lot easier.

Rhinopolis

1. Pull the hard line apart from the soft line, and unbolt it from the car. You'll have plenty of room to work with.

2. 1/4 wrench, appropriate bit and a lot of patience.
That's makes so much sense, and I didn't do that because the coolant line is so much larger than the soft hose that it slips in to. I'll take my time, and hopefully I don't tear that soft hose.

Thank you for the tip

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
That's makes so much sense, and I didn't do that because the coolant line is so much larger than the soft hose that it slips in to. I'll take my time, and hopefully I don't tear that soft hose.

Thank you for the tip
No worries. Typically, you wouldn't have to do that, but it seems in your case it's warranted. Don't worry too much about ripping anything. If you have one, use a crescent wrench to get the clip locked open. After that just give her some twists as you pull.

For all of us waiting for the shipment that was stuck in the UK, it's arrived in Minnesota! They will be in our hands soon I imagine. Can't wait to put some nitrous in this hog! (Joking) Hopfully I have this all installed by next Friday just in time for the summer heat!

For all of us waiting for the shipment that was stuck in the UK, it's arrived in Minnesota! They will be in our hands soon I imagine. Can't wait to put some nitrous in this hog! (Joking) Hopfully I have this all installed by next Friday just in time for the summer heat!
Paid the custom taxes about 2 hours ago, they usually deliver same day once I pay the custom fee's. If they arrive today, they will be all out today with the exception of 1 order as I have to go pick up more OEM gaskets to ship with it.

Paid the custom taxes about 2 hours ago, they usually deliver same day once I pay the custom fee's. If they arrive today, they will be all out today with the exception of 1 order as I have to go pick up more OEM gaskets to ship with it.
That's what I'm talking about! How long should the shipping take to get to California? I figure it's ground so my guess is around 5 business days.

Rhinopolis

Came home from work a little early and it is all installed and done. I'm about to clean up and go for the inaugural test drive.

[MENTION=3805]Tune+[/MENTION]

" Est Exhaust Flow lb/min" is no longer a datalogging option to measure, and do you have another option that you would like for me to log in its place?

Thank you,

Ryan

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Came home from work a little early and it is all installed and done. I'm about to clean up and go for the inaugural test drive.
[MENTION=3805]Tune+[/MENTION]

Is there any special datalog procedure and once the inaugural test drive checks out? I plan to test drive for at least 20 miles to make sure everything heats up and then performs well.

I have your email and understand to watch my boost pressure so no spiking above the boost pressure that you told me, and after that and if all functions well can I datalog for a tune update per your standard tuning procedure?

PS:" Est Exhaust Flow lb/min" is no longer a datalogging option to measure, and do you have another option that you would like for me to log in its place?
I'm glad you got her done!

Scent from Glade Air Freshener

haste

1000 Post Club
Glad you got it installed, Rhinopolis. I will be a happy camper if I can get mine installed the weekend after the 4th!

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
When ya getting your next batch?

Rhinopolis

Thanks [MENTION=759]Hijinx[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1668]haste[/MENTION]! It works really well and as soon as I saw 180F oil temps via the Cobb AP, I dipped in to the boost a little (sounds great btw!) and I blew the hot side charge pipe coupling right off the turbo!

It was loud AF and I'm just glad that the hose clamp was still on the reducer coupling! Anyways, limped it home and it's on the race ramps now. Everything else looks great, and I'm going to REALLY tighten down that hot side smaller coupling clamp this time [twothumb]

Rhinopolis

Charge pipe clamps secured on tight, and already the car feels stronger everywhere on just the base tune..lol. What's most noticeable (I was looking for this actually) is the power bump that happens above 5k rpms.

While test driving I hadn't gotten up on it in lower speeds yet, and I decided to hit the gas in 2cd while pulling away from a light. I got in to the throttle slightly passed 3500 rpms and then I felt a nice shove that nudged me in to the seat once I was passed 5k. It took me by surprise actually because I wasn't used to any top end in the FiST.

Something else and I don't want to be a "butt dyno guy" here, but the 1-2 upshift feels noticeably smoother. I will need to to Vdyno and compare logs pre catted down-pipe and X37 to see if there's an obvious reason, but the car felt noticeably smoother on 1-2 upshifts than it has ever felt before. It's either placebo and I'm just in love with the newness, or perhaps there's more torque down low because of the upgraded down-pipe? I don't know, and I am going to keep an eye out and see if this is real or not.

GoPro is hooked up, my buddy with the 2010 S4 (APR with full exhaust) says that he'll run me, and I plan to start datalogging tomorrow morning at 5am and when it's still in the 80's. Once the tune is perfected, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what this thing has in it [loveboost]

Nice one mate, looking forward to further updates. I'm taking plenty of notes so when I get round to it I don't bolx it up

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Charge pipe clamps secured on tight, and already the car feels stronger everywhere on just the base tune..lol. What's most noticeable (I was looking for this actually) is the power bump that happens above 5k rpms.

While test driving I hadn't gotten up on it in lower speeds yet, and I decided to hit the gas in 2cd while pulling away from a light. I got in to the throttle slightly passed 3500 rpms and then I felt a nice shove that nudged me in to the seat once I was passed 5k. It took me by surprise actually because I wasn't used to any top end in the FiST.

Something else and I don't want to be a "butt dyno guy" here, but the 1-2 upshift feels noticeably smoother. I will need to to Vdyno and compare logs pre catted down-pipe and X37 to see if there's an obvious reason, but the car felt noticeably smoother on 1-2 upshifts than it has ever felt before. It's either placebo and I'm just in love with the newness, or perhaps there's more torque down low because of the upgraded down-pipe? I don't know, and I am going to keep an eye out and see if this is real or not.

GoPro is hooked up, my buddy with the 2010 S4 (APR with full exhaust) says that he'll run me, and I plan to start datalogging tomorrow morning at 5am and when it's still in the 80's. Once the tune is perfected, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what this thing has in it [loveboost]
Best review of the x37 yet! I'm sold on this turbo, it's gonna happen soon, let's see who gets it to me fastest. Happy for ya bud
:)

Rhinopolis

Best review of the x37 yet! I'm sold on this turbo, it's gonna happen soon, let's see who gets it to me fastest. Happy for ya bud
:)
Thanks, and I don't know about "best review yet" but I appreciate the compliment! I intend to get more technical and to compare datalogs before and after (in Vdyno and via datazapdatazap.me while still respecting vendor wishes), so that we can look deeper at what this system does via my car.

I will make GoPro videos and will share where to find them off the forum, and I look forward to having fun with this thing! Just buy it, and I will gladly offer you my own learned "install tips" so that you can more expediently install it.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Thanks, and I don't know about "best review yet" but I appreciate the compliment! I intend to get more technical and to compare datalogs before and after (in Vdyno and via datazapdatazap.me while still respecting vendor wishes), so that we can look deeper at what this system does via my car.

I will make GoPro videos and will share where to find them off the forum, and I look forward to having fun with this thing! Just buy it, and I will gladly offer you my own learned "install tips" so that you can more expediently install it.
lol, nope. Not that brave:). Just going to have my trusted shop do it for me. Super stoked, wonder when the next batch is coming